Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119250 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »
I really think they ought to follow through with the director's cut ending to Army of Darkness.
(click to show/hide)

Eh I've just never been a fan of the Director's Cut ending. Though it might work better for a sequel in some ways, it'd be harder to keep the movie from feeling derivative of films with similar settings unless they kept Ash mostly isolated from other non-infected humans for about half the movie like in ED1 and 2.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:58:35 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
Never seen this director's cut ending. Someone can give me a link or say what happens in it?

edit: forget it

Army of Darkness Director's Cut Ending

edit2: WTF?! Here in Brazil that is the default ending, I've never seen THIS one

Army of Darkness Theatrical Ending

He says "Hail to the king, babe" like Duke Nukem does too ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:10:36 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »
The S-Mart ending is what was seen worldwide. The original ending got reinstated for a director's cut, which is my preferred version of the movie.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
In Brazil the original ending/director's cut/post-apocalipse thing is what we have seen, this S-Mart ending is new to me. Its good to know that a "good ending" still exists to this guy, I felt bad about him when I was a kid, hau auu~
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
Ah, OK. Yeah, the S-Mart one was done to make people feel better I think, heh. That's the ending that most territories (I thought all) had used. I think Universal requested a brighter ending.

It's funny in its own right, but I prefer the original ending.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2013, 08:23:15 PM »
In Brazil the original ending/director's cut/post-apocalipse thing is what we have seen, this S-Mart ending is new to me. Its good to know that a "good ending" still exists to this guy, I felt bad about him when I was a kid, hau auu~

Yeah I loved the theatrical (S-Mart) ending as a kid. After seeing all the shit Ash went through in Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness it was great seeing him graduate to full-blown badass and get a happy ending. And seeing it with older eyes and knowing that it was a studio demanded change I think that Raimi and Campbell put it so over the top to be a bit smartass, which only makes it more fun. Truly one of the few screening audience demanded changes I'm happy about.

The theatrical ending is the one that's taken as canon in most of the comics/games I know of. Except for the second PS2 game "Regeneration" which was an alternative "what if" story about what might have happened if Ash hadn't gotten sucked back in time but had gotten committed to an Asylum for the cabin murders instead.
Speaking of which both the games on PS2/original Xbox, "Evil Dead: A Fistfull of Boomstick" and "Evil Dead: Regenration" are pretty good if short hack and slashers. But avoid the one on PS1/Dreamcast "Evil Dead: Hail to the King" as it's a terrible Resident Evil clone. It did result in this sweet advert though.
Evil Dead - Hail to the King Teaser

PS- Duke Nukem stole the line "Hail to the King, Baby" from Army of Darkness, Bruce Campbell has complained about this a few times lol. Saying Duke Nukem took so many lines from other sources (like the line "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta gum." taken from the movie "They Live") that it went beyond homage into plagiarism and that they should hire a writer.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:34:17 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
I keep meaning and then forgetting to check out the video games. One of the later ones sounded especially cool, think it was Fistful of Boomstick.

Campbell voiced the character in all the games, didn't he?
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11:55 PM »
Can some one explain to me why army of darkness is not as scary as evil dead?

IIRC AoD  was not that scary(I have not seen the whole thing but from what I watched it just did not give me a horror feeling but an action one at that.  I was really young so my memory is not that good but.....) but evil dead from what I hear is scary so what gives?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
I keep meaning and then forgetting to check out the video games. One of the later ones sounded especially cool, think it was Fistful of Boomstick.

Campbell voiced the character in all the games, didn't he?

Yeah he voiced Ash in all of the games. Not counting the "Evil Dead" game that came out in the 80s on like the Commandore64 lol. And they all had a one-liner button iirc, I know the first 2 do. "Hail to the King" tried to integrate one-liners into gameplay in a stupid way -use finishing moves and one-liners for enemies to have a higher chance of dropping better power ups, not easy with Resident Evil controls. In the other games the button was just an extra without bearing on game mechanics, and he would let out other special one-liners every now and then if you didn't use the button to prompt him all the time. You also didn't have to worry about gasoline for your chainsaw in the second two games.

"Fistfull of Boomstick" probably is the best one, it's harder than "Regeneration" and the final boss is comedically anti-climactic (probably on purpose) but it feels more true to the license and for a budget hack and slash it's pretty good. Probably take you 3 - 5 hours to beat.

Can some one explain to me why army of darkness is not as scary as evil dead?

IIRC AoD  was not that scary(I have not seen the whole thing but from what I watched it just did not give me a horror feeling but an action one at that.  I was really young so my memory is not that good but.....) but evil dead from what I hear is scary so what gives?

"Evil Dead" was made as a serious exploitation horror film, but it was so over the top with the gore and campy acting that a lot of people mistook it for a horror comedy. Sam Raimi ran with this idea and made Evil Dead 2 an actual horror comedy, then with Army of Darkness (originally conceived as "Medeival Dead") they mostly dropped the horror focus and just made it a more mainstream action adventure with comedy and horror elements.
If "Evil Dead" is a grindhouse movie then "Army of Darkness" is a tribute to Ray Harryhausen's brand of swashbuckling adventure ala Jason and the Argonauts and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. (Raimi specifically requested the skeletons in AoD have the "Harryhausen grimace" even though real skeletons don't look like that.) Personally I like the movies in reverse order, AoD, then ED2 and I don't really like the first one lol.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:39:51 PM by Ratty »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »
I dont really like the first one either. I much prefer the 2nd one as the "real" first movie since its basically a remake of the first one but playin more to their strengths like AoD\Hercules\Xena

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2013, 05:05:24 AM »
Life of Pi.... i bought it on Blu-Ray and all i can say is im mind blown!!!! Best movie ive seen in quite some time
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
I dont really like the first one either. I much prefer the 2nd one as the "real" first movie since its basically a remake of the first one but playin more to their strengths like AoD\Hercules\Xena

Nnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooo D:
I don't understand how this "basically a remake" idea even exists. Evil Dead II was always intended to be a direct sequel. Originally they wanted to use footage from the first film for the recap but securing all the various overseas rights was too much a hassle at the time so they planned to reshoot a lot of the events. But due to time and budgetary constraints, they stopped pursuing this idea (there exists FX footage of possessed Scotty, who was going to be played by Sam Raimi, I believe) and went for a more streamlined recap with just Ash and his girlfriend going to the cabin.

From the point about five minutes into the movie when The Evil directly attacks Ash like at the end of the first movie, it's completely sequel territory (minus, you know, Ash going back to the broken bridge). There are scenes that are basically recreated in the sequel, true, but some of these are recreated in Army of Darkness as well. (The "You will never retrieve the Necronomicon!" She-Bitch scene particularly.)

So II really isn't a remake nor was it ever intended to be. I actually watched all three movies back-to-back recently as one movie, cutting out the mismatched recaps and endings, and it all worked out really well barring a few missing setups to jokes ("Shop smart").

I love all three movies about equally, but I probably prefer them first to last. The first is one of the best pure horror movies ever made, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:25:13 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »
Not really a movie, but I watched Birdy The Mighty last. Sci-fi anime that was done as an OVA and then a TV series (the OVA was more adult-oriented). I found myself drawn to it, surprisingly. At one point I watched 10 episodes back to back. Like Flame Of Rekka, the change in staffing is apparent in later episodes. It looks like they suffered the same budget crises that Gainax often faced by the end of the series, with the animation seriously crippled in the last episode -- it didn't even look like the same show! But the story was decent, I thought. Season 2 really took it off, but that's when the quality dropped too.

Tonight I'm gonna watch Children Who Chase Lost Voices.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2013, 12:21:07 AM »
Just finished "Children Who Chase Lost Voices". Shinkai Makoto's definitely taking the Miyazaki route here. The eyes, hair, clothing, landscape, Quetzalcoatl, vita aqua -- all of it just screams "Princess Mononoke". Seemed like it would be a sad movie, but it didn't really seem like it. And damn, those Izoku are fucking creepy.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:32:54 AM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »
Why the first screenshot have portuguese subs? Random screen or you understand our language? :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: