Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 1047006 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #2700 on: August 08, 2016, 02:26:31 PM »
I was disappointed at first that whips don't function like Castlevania, but then once I got over my nostalgia (pretty quickly, like five seconds later), I actually quite like how they function much differently.

One thing I didn't like about previous IGAvanias is that I felt weapons didn't feel all that different from one another. Here's hoping they do in this game.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2701 on: August 08, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
I'm not surprised the whip is executed differently.  A combo or variation of the attack will make it much better but I'm just glad they're in.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2702 on: August 08, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »
Hopefully they'll have far more different types of whips in the game. And lots of them at that. Swords and all are great but that's not really my cup of tea for a spiritual successor to CV.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2703 on: August 08, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
Hopefully they'll have far more different types of whips in the game. And lots of them at that. Swords and all are great but that's not really my cup of tea for a spiritual successor to CV.
Well if anything it's probably more of a spiritual successor to SOTN than classic CV and that was packed with swords.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #2704 on: August 09, 2016, 12:53:23 AM »
I truly hope they'll add some kind of combos and not just one-shot attacks. Just the ability to do 2-3 consecutive attacks would be great, maybe even mix weapons and magic.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2705 on: August 09, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
Well if anything it's probably more of a spiritual successor to SOTN than classic CV and that was packed with swords.

Yeah, I thought the idea was that Iga was giving us a new game in the vein of his Castlevania games, not necessarily a spiritual successor to Castlevania. Whips were always largely secondary in his games (aside from Harmony of Dissonance).
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2706 on: August 09, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »

Yeah, I thought the idea was that Iga was giving us a new game in the vein of his Castlevania games, not necessarily a spiritual successor to Castlevania. Whips were always largely secondary in his games (aside from Harmony of Dissonance).

At least we get a classic mode.  I'm hoping that it is more akin to the classic whipswinging style games.

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2707 on: August 09, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »
the whip animation is so gorgeous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUmih6PlIs

maybe whips will be as common as the others and available very early in the playthrough

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2708 on: August 09, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
+2
the whip animation is so gorgeous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUmih6PlIs

maybe whips will be as common as the others and available very early in the playthrough

It's funny how I thought of a similar animation for Belmonts some time ago (some Dungeonites will remember):

And I will agree. This animation for Miriam is really gorgeous and classy. Unique for her.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:42:41 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2709 on: August 09, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »

At first I was disappointed that it wasn't the classic whipping animation
But then I came to a realization similar to that (it's more of a SoTN successor that a classic successor, and it plays more like a Igavania anyways) and then everything was all fine.

Also judging by the animation, the whip's hitbox is prolly gonna be huge.  I love me some huge hitboxes.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2710 on: August 10, 2016, 12:10:49 AM »
It's funny how I thought of a similar animation for Belmonts some time ago (some Dungeonites will remember):

And I will agree. This animation for Miriam is really gorgeous and classy. Unique for her.

Almost, but with Miriam's Animation you can see the point of cracking on the outermost frame.

More interestingly enough, The traditional Whip animation is very effective for chain whips, but not so much for leather.

Anyway, to the point, I want to modify that animation.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2711 on: August 10, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »
Also judging by the animation, the whip's hitbox is prolly gonna be huge.  I love me some huge hitboxes.

It better be huge. A whip has range over a sword. Much, much more. So it would make sense from that perspective.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:38:05 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #2712 on: August 10, 2016, 10:53:40 AM »
whips should be viable for all fights.  I hated how that tree boss in Dark Souls III, the whip is largely ineffective and hard to hit with it.  I haven't done a DkS3 full whip run, but that boss fight really discouraged using that type of weapon.  though maybe I wasn't using the right moves.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #2713 on: August 14, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »
Something that has been bothering me in IGAvanias is the armour. Sure SOTN started out with different sword Sprite depending on what you had equipped currently and your cap colour changed depending on what cape you were wearing too, I.E Joseph Cloak and what not. Now in this game, you can have a weapon model, shoe model and scarf changed. I PRAY THAT IN THE NEXT IGAVANIAS, THEY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO CHANGE MODEL FOR EVERY ARMOUR YOU EQUIP! I WILL BE HAPPY! BRING ON THE FASHIONVANIA!

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2714 on: August 14, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »
I PRAY THAT IN THE NEXT IGAVANIAS, THEY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO CHANGE MODEL FOR EVERY ARMOUR YOU EQUIP! I WILL BE HAPPY! BRING ON THE FASHIONVANIA!
Even if they somehow have enough budget for it to be feasible, that might be a bit easier said than done...
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags:

anything