Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed  (Read 192127 times)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Netflix Castlevania Animation: Cast Revealed
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
+1
I could picture a Sorrow arc animated adaptation working.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »
I just hope this brings Castlevania back to the game from retirement once more if this becomes quite successful. We haven't had anything Castlevania for a while, so at least a good series may promote newcomers to the games, right? At least that should be the intent for the series. I am just glad that Castlevania has been granted an opportunity to shine once more into the darkness it fell and make more games after this. And besides, this isn't some obscure niche anime production, it is a Netflix Orginal which is serious business. Maybe this is the right step to promote Castlevania right now, not by another game but another media.................................. .... I secretly thing Hideo Kojima is still in Konami and gave this idea. Animation is the best format for Castlevania, I would never have it go live action.

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »
After 30 years Castlevania media is still getting confusing names.

Now we have...

Castlevania (NES)
Castlevania (N64)
Castlevania (Netflix Series)

Imagine explaining this to a newcomer, Castlevania (not to be confused with the first game or the N64 Game) is based on the 3rd game called Dracula's Curse (Legend in Japan) But Legends not in Japan is a Gameboy game.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:39:37 AM by EstebanT »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2017, 09:57:35 AM »
If they would adapt, say the original Castlevania, that might sound cool at first but if you think about it a little more the amount of material they would have to work with would fit on a paper napkin. It would be: "Simon goes into the castle and kills things: The Animation".

Yes and no. Simon had two adventures against the Count. Utilising both games could easily make one animated movie. For instance The prologue of said movie would be CVI. And we have Simon as he had battled his way up to Dracula's keep. We see him walking towards his destiny while showing snippets of the monsters and mythological creatures he had just slain to get there. Then we get to the Count himself. No words or would be spoken as the two then clash. Once defeated Simon walks away from the Count's broken body and later we see the castle denigrate as the Belmont looks on (presumably with his wife Serena that he rescues). Fast forward 8 years later and we have the CVII story pick up which tells the rest of Simon's tale. And it is very doable since CVII had multiple villages and people to talk to even if they spoke nonsense (which wouldn't be the case in an animated feature).
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2017, 10:11:13 AM »
Yes and no. Simon had two adventures against the Count. Utilising both games could easily make one animated movie. For instance The prologue of said movie would be CVI. And we have Simon as he had battled his way up to Dracula's keep. We see him walking towards his destiny while showing snippets of the monsters and mythological creatures he had just slain to get there. Then we get to the Count himself. No words or would be spoken as the two then clash. Once defeated Simon walks away from the Count's broken body and later we see the castle denigrate as the Belmont looks on (presumably with his wife Serena that he rescues). Fast forward 8 years later and we have the CVII story pick up which tells the rest of Simon's tale. And it is very doable since CVII had multiple villages and people to talk to even if they spoke nonsense (which wouldn't be the case in an animated feature).

CV2 animated can literally be Samurai Jack S5

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2017, 11:35:39 AM »
One thing I hope they do is correct Dracula's name to Vlad Tepes, rather than Vlad Tepe, as I'm seeing everywhere.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »

Color me skeptical. Let's assume this series would also be 8 episodes in total. The prologue would only last 5 to 10 minutes. How would you fill up the remaing 230 minutes?

Another problem that would rise if they went in such a direction would be that the story would basically be the same thing as this animated series except with less characters and story hooks. I know the storyline of Castlevania is inherently repetitive but when it comes to the games it's less of an issue because story has always been an afterthought for the series. However, I think that problem becomes more prominent when you try adapting multiple games in a row. Also, this is perhaps more of a minor issue, but for casual audiences it might be very confusing to suddenly jump ahead from Trevor's era to Simon's. That wouldn't be a very logical way to advance the narrative.       

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Color me skeptical. Let's assume this series would also be 8 episodes in total. The prologue would only last 5 to 10 minutes. How would you fill up the remaing 230 minutes?

Another problem that would rise if they went in such a direction would be that the story would basically be the same thing as this animated series except with less characters and story hooks. I know the storyline of Castlevania is inherently repetitive but when it comes to the games it's less of an issue because story has always been an afterthought for the series. However, I think that problem becomes more prominent when you try adapting multiple games in a row. Also, this is perhaps more of a minor issue, but for casual audiences it might be very confusing to suddenly jump ahead from Trevor's era to Simon's. That wouldn't be a very logical way to advance the narrative.     

This show would be a good way to soft reboot the series.
I mean, the Lords of Shadow storyline got convoluted in only 3 games. And the 30 year old IGA timeline hasn't gotten a canon game in 10 years.

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Third Place
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
Does anyone know who is going to give voice to Alucard? Robert Belgrade??

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »
Well, the final line spoken in the trailer is confirmed as being Trevor, according to the subtitles on the trailer on Netflix itself, so so his VA at least shoudl be pin down-able for those who know the names listed as the main cast.

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
Well, the final line spoken in the trailer is confirmed as being Trevor, according to the subtitles on the trailer on Netflix itself, so so his VA at least should be pin down-able for those who know the names listed as the main cast.

I don’t know about that, it’s possible the trailer is being intentionally misleading. 

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
Well, if they ever do adapt Simon's story, they could always take the Samurai Jack route and have it's narrative focus solely through action and atmosphere.

I wouldn't be against them skipping to Rondo of Blood or another game though. Bloodlines would be very interesting to see animated.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:48:20 PM by OSM »

Offline Aiddon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2017, 10:36:47 PM »
Huh, that actually looks good. Someone was definitely watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust while animating this as all they'd need is the art style and it'd be a perfect 1:1. Really captures the atmosphere and aesthetic of the games with the moody Gothic vibes. Apparently there'll be a second season as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do Rondo of Blood/SOTN next as a double feature considering the reason III was chosen was due to Alucard

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2017, 11:59:17 PM »
I don’t know about that, it’s possible the trailer is being intentionally misleading. 

(click to show/hide)

The reason I've said that is because in the subtitles it explicitly gives Trevor's name as the speaker of the last line, whereas no-one else who speaks is named.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:59 AM »
I would be willing to bet disgusting amounts of money on them not using that incredibly vague and basic-ass script synopsis anymore. Those are never permanent.

It's Trevor.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags:

anything