Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Plot Suggestion  (Read 5778 times)

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Castlevania Plot Suggestion
« on: October 07, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
Hello I've been a longtime lurker here on the forums and I was thinking of a concept for a Castlevania game and I could really use the input and help from a hardcore Castlevania fans like yourself so please share your opinions on this draft at this point I'm pretty sure Konami's gonna ignore it and it need allot of work so I'm open to suggestions both positive and negative on the plot department and I need new Ideas from my fellow fans

Note:If you want to feel free to modify the file and show me your edits

and on a side note being a longtime fan of Castlevania I've come to realize we, the fanbase are getting older and despite the bad reputation Lords of Shadow has with some of us, The Castlevania franchise needed it to survive and to introduce the current generation to Castlevania. In my opinion Iga's version of the series was great, it introduced a great art style and amazing soundtracks as well as some interesting plots but I'm well aware that Castlevania's very first style was far from Iga's version. Lord of Shadow used a very westernized and Hollywood style of presentation and the music screamed epic instead of gothic and rather stocky and gritty art style also the story didn't feature the castle and the vampires as the stars they used to be in older games but despite all that the game was great and just another interesting take on a very good franchise.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:32:17 PM by DraculaFan1981 »

Offline Thy Gory Rory

• Hunter in Training
  • ...I'm holding my sausage hostage!
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:53:21 PM »
I have nothing to contribute as far as story ideas but I agree with your opinion on Lord of Shadows. I'm gonna admit that I'm a huge "Iga-whore" and really miss his version but I will agree that Lord's was an interesting take on the series and it overall helped gather more fans to the franchise and put Castlevania back on the map. I just hope there's room for all the different incarnations of Castlevania now and down the road.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Plot Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »
Yes.  LoS was interesting, but it wasn't quite castlevania.  It probably would get a lot less flack if it was its own series.

As you can probably tell, I like the old timeline with all the Iga games.  Those games had some interesting plots, but they didn't really fit the overall story and seemed forced in there.  Also, some of them didn't advance the overall plot what so ever (examples: CoD, DoS).

The fact is that some of the Iga games have been poorly executed.  What is needed is for the makers of castlevania to look back at what made past games great and build on those.  For example, SotN was a great new direction to go in regarding gameplay, but there is a problem with it:  it's way too easy.  All you had to do was grind until you were strong enough to get past whatever you were having trouble with.  Plus, there were some broken weapons like the crissargrim.  What made the really early games was the fact that there was no grinding to do and it was a question of skill.  LoI was a step in the right direction in that it removed the leveling system and had no broken weapons. I mention gameplay because it seems that most castlevania fans care more about gameplay than story.  Gameplay should be more like LoI and LoS in that there are hp, mp, defense, and attack upgrades hidden in the stages.  At least then it's a contest of skill.

Now on to story.  As I've already said, I like the old timeline (not LoS timeline).  Let's face it DoS is pointless.  It doesn't advance the story at all.  AoS should be the end point on the time line.  The reason is that at the end of that game, it seems that by defeating Chaos, Soma has severed it from Dracula's powers and thus from himself.  With that at the end and LoI at the beginning, we in essence have set up the entire timeline.  However, there is some space left that can be filled.  We have the Demon Castle War that takes place in 1999, which was mentioned in AoS but never made into an actual game.  There is also a 381 year gap between LoI and Castlevania 3.  Now then, there can't be and fights between Dracula and the Belmonts in that time period because Trevor was the first to defeat Dracula in CV3.  But that doesn't mean that there can't be content during that time period.  There's plenty that can be done.  To through out some, we have: Dracula's rise to power, Sypha's story before she met Trevor, the Belmonts could be going after other vampires (remember, at the end of LoI, Leon states that "...from this day forward, the Belmont Clan will hunt the night."  He never mentions any in particular and there are plenty of other vampires and other demons of the night for the Belmonts to hunt and destroy.)
Behold my power and tremble

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
Lords of Shadow was an Interesting concept but other than a few name drops here and there it really wasn't Castlevania like but in terms of gameplay they almost nailed a good Castlevania style but what really ruined the gameplay for me were the QTEs  and the titan fights which were both heavily overused and caused the game to suffer several comparisons to God of War and shadow of Colossus but all that aside the gameplay was quite nice and I liked seeing the attack system from LoI being used again

What I liked about the old timeline was the recurring theme that Dracula was tied to human malice and eventually evolved into a force that opposed god but I agree with you that some games really seem forced like Dawn of Sorrow, despite having great gameplay, was just an attempt to milk the popularity of Aria of Sorrow and the DS as for the gameplay of the old timeline I think if revisited they should still allow picking up and upgrading weapons for combat diversity but use LoI's style of upgrading your character

Yes the old timeline though good was subject to many half assed plots to justify the release of a game but what surprised me back in 2003 is that with the concept of playing as Dracula and His interesting origin story were both relatively well received, a game set after Lament of Innocence where you play as Mathias was never visited his history as a knight and still developing powers may have produced excellent gameplay options, Dracula himself has always been an interesting character but his final boss role almost never allows for any dramatic characterization.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
If only it actually worked like this, but I don't think companies accept scripts from "civilians". Gameplay ideas, probably (Blizzard has done this), but not whole stories.

Offline What is a Man?

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
Pretty solid Ideas there but I'll judge it once you show me a complete version so 2d or 3d?

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:50:31 AM »
I don't really care to have a meaningful story for the CV series.  For me, it's more like a premise or idea than an actual story, that premise being: good battles evil in dracula/castle/halloween themed setting - that's all. I basically ignore all of the plot details that are gone over through in-game dialogue and manuals because I'm really not interested.  Just give me that cool setting, music, and action because that's what I really like about CV.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
One doesn't nullify the other. I agree that the core idea should remain the same, but that doesn't mean individual games couldn't / shouldn't have great stories.

Offline Opium

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »
One doesn't nullify the other. I agree that the core idea should remain the same, but that doesn't mean individual games couldn't / shouldn't have great stories.

I agree totally.  I don't believe that any od them couldn't/shouldn't have stories, great or otherwise.  I'm just saying that I don't care about the stories, since they have little to do with what I like about the games.  That's not just for CV, but for all my fav game franchises.  I tend to spend a lot of time talking about gameplay and never really bringing up story.  When I want story, I read a book or watch a movie.