Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Marathon by Sumac  (Read 56390 times)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 10:48:02 PM »
+2
I'll try to write reviews for the all games in the series (that I could play), but video playthroughs will be for "classicvanias" only. There are only two games left that I will record - Bloodlines and Dracula X.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
Wait, what so offensive was about my previous post to deserve it a "minus"?  :o

By the way, still striglling with Bloodlines. It seems this game will deserve title "hardest classicvania of them all" from me. I didn't had this probelm even with CV3. Though, right now I have a general understanding of how I should complete the game. I can complete first five levels wihtout lossing a life, but Stage 6 throws such stuff at me, that I always lose 2-3 lives in it. Though I can complete final boss rush on the first try.
Review is still in the process of being written. Not even close to finishing it.

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »
For the first time Michiru Yamane composed music for the series.

Err, she jumped on board for Bloodlines. Yamane didn't have anything to do with Rondo.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
+1
Err, she jumped on board for Bloodlines. Yamane didn't have anything to do with Rondo.
Hm, I always heard that it was Yamane.
Checked it and it looks like you're right. My bad.

Offline davidwesterlund

• Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »
Very impressive playing and writing! Some of these games are so hard, especially with the random elements.

I can usually get through SCIV with one life and the cross-subweapon x3, the only places that can screw up are the disapearing platforms in the level 8 dungeon and the last "hanging" part of the clocktower. I played the game so many times it got memorized, although I know it's one of the easiest of the old ones.

Looking forward to more!

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
+1
Looking forward to more!
Thanks.  ;)
And there will be more. Maybe on the next week.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
+1
Does anyone know how much different paths are there, if you play Bloodlines as Eric?

I am asking because, I played CVB as Eric and found only two instances where you can go into places where John can't. In the Stage 3 you can skip small sectionwith Mummies and in Stage 5 you can climb onto the roof of the palace. Is there any other instances like that?
If there are only those two, then most liklely I won't do video playthrough as Eric (don't see any meaning in that) and I'll be able to publish playthrough with John on the next week already.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »
+1
I decided that afterall I will made an Eric playthrough. Just out of boredom. And besides, CVB eview is still not ready. I think, I take too much time to finish it.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
+2
I feel there is some idiot following me and minusing everything I write.

The next sentence is offensive and directed only at certain person who loves me so much. Everyone else, you are nice guys, most of you anyway and I don't have anything against you.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
+2
Castlevania Video Marathon: Bloodlines (Sega Genesis) (John one life run)
Castlevania Video Marathon: Bloodlines (Sega Genesis) (Eric one life run)

For the first time I've learnt about Castlevania Bloodlines, when I was visiting my friend in 2003. He just had internet installed to his apartment, and we've browsered through his local filesharing network. There we have found a folder with Sega Genesis emulator and Castlevania New Generation. We played in this game for, maybe, half and hour and back then it didn't impressed me very much. It was...kind of alien seeing Castlevania in this interpretation. Later, in 2005 I played this game once again and reevalueited it. I was amazed by special effects in this game, backgrounds and music. Since then, I haven't played this game anymore. Let's see what have changed in my evaluation of this game in the last 7 years.

It looks like this game was an experimental entry in the series, alongside with Contra Hard Corps. For whatever reason Konami decided to create two special effects-filled entries in their two most famous series of the 90s late in the Genesis lifespan. Both of them quite different from usual games, that appear in the series. However, Bloodlines didn't left that much influence on the series, unlike CHC.

Graphic-wise Bloodlines squeezes everything possible from Genesis hardware. One should remember that unlike SNES, Genesis didn't had inbuilt capabilities for scrolling / rotating / zooming sprites, so in order to achieve all of this effects, programmers should have coded them separately for each game. Surprisingly this game have more special effects then even Super Castlevania 4, though this could be easily explained by SCV4 being one of the first major games for the SNES. Bloodlines offer a very wide range of special effects - there are many multi-segmented enemies, like giant armors and multiple rotating sprites that used for enemies and backgrounds. One of the most impressive effects is the collapsing statue head in the second level. Battle with the third boss happens on the top of rotating tower and boss himself had a long tail, made out of it small sprites that constantly moving. Dracula's monster form appears after impressive bleding of two transparent sprites. Also, major part of the third level is made to showcase masterfull coding of Konami developers as it chock full with different effects. Design of the backgrounds is not shabby either. There are very detailed with multiple animated details on the background sometimes. And even wihtout animation they look very impressive. Colour palette is a quite bright (I'd say Genesis-bright), but it doesn't make the game look worse, since it does not make it look like cartoon. Enemies have interesting design, that often differs from more conventional analogues in the past games. Main heroes - John Morris and Eric Lecarde have nice animations and doesn't look awkward. Interestingly, but Morris is actually first left handed "whip-wielder" in the series. In general animation in this game is very good.

Music is top notch. This was the first game in the series for which Michiru Yamane wrote the soundtrack and in my opinion. Bloodlines is complete opposite of ROB, when it comes to the soundtrack - all music fit the game to a T, and it even have few tracks that, in my opinion could be considered on of the best in the series. While I usually don't hold Genesis music capabilities in high regard, since more often then not, music sounds artificial bordering on jarring, in Bloodlines all melodies have very good arrangement. All of them sound natural and somehow manage to use only strong sides of the Genesis sound hardware. Unlike previous entries, Bloodlines doesn't have many remixes from the previous games. The only two melodies from the past, that appear in the regular game, are "Nothing to Loose" from original Castlevania and "Simon's Theme" from SCV4. Interestingly it was the first remix that "Nothing to Loose" received in the series and its used precisely at the very same place it was used in the original game - famous staircase to Dracula's Castle Keep. Simon's Theme used in the final part of the sixth level, before battle with Dracula. Both themes were remixed very nicely. There is also hidden remixes of the Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears and Begining. In order to hear them in game, set BGM at 05 and SE at 73 in Options. As soon as player will receive final upgrade for his weapon, one of these three songs will start randomly play. It will play for as long as player will be able to save himself from harm. As soon as he receive damage regular level music will start to play.

Gameplay is pretty traditional for Castlevania, but with several tweaks here and there. First, like in Rondo of Blood, which this game undoubtely used as an inspriration, there are two playable characters - John Morris, descendant of the Belmont clan and Eric Lecard - random nobody. Just joking. Eric is also a descendant of the Belmonts and he uses Alucard Spear as a weapon. It was created by Dracula's son Alucard himself as counterpart for the Vampire Killer whip. However in this game it was mistranslated as "Alcarde Spear". Unlike ROB there is no need to unlock second playable character, as both of them are available from the begining of the game in the menu that appears right after you press start on the title screen. Both characters have different weapons and different gameplay mechanic. There are no secret levels in this game, but John and Eric have slightly different routes in several places in the game. In Stage 3 and in Stage 5. However, those differences are very minor. Unlike previous Castlevanias, there are not two, but three upgrades for the primary weapon. Player will receive first two almost immediately after starting the game at any point in the level. However, the third upgrade will be available much later and only if player won't loose any lives. Said upgrade gives weapon a flame powers and make it a bit stronger. Only two subweapons from the past returned in Bloodlines: Axe and Holy Water. Cross-boumerangs were replaced with Razor-Boumerangs, that acts as more traditional rendition of the boumerangs in games - they fly high then low. There is also one more additional subweapon, that player receive after obtaining final upgrade to his primary weapon. It is very powerfull subweapon, but it eats very many hearts. There is no multiplyers for the subweapons, however player can execute "super subweapon attack". I think it was inspired by the item crashes in the ROB. Like in SCV4, subweapon attack received its own button (C) instead of traditional combination "Up + Attack". However this combination also used in this game somewhat. If you have enough crystals, you can press "Up + Subweapon attack button" and "super subweapon attack" will be executed. Usually it covers more space and have more subweapons on the screen at once, dealing more damage to the enemy. It's not as impressive as Item Crashes, but it doesn't eat so much ammo either. By the way, traditional hearts were replaced in this game with crystals.

Also it's the first (and I think only) Castlevania game, where you can choose difficulty in Options. There are three difficulties to choose from - Easy, Normal and Expert. Expert opens only after player complete the game on Normal difficulty or after he enters the famous Konami code (Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A). As it was customary in the Konami games at the time, the ending of the game depends on the chosen difficulty. You receive complete ending (that is pretty much worthless, since it adds one minor scene before credits and little message after credits) only after you finish the game on the Expert difficulty. On the other settings ending will be shorter and after credits it will gently ask you to try finish the game on the higher difficulty. Expert difficulty doesn't involve major changes to the game. Enemies and bosses have the same patterns, however new enemies added in some locations, like Bats and very annoying Ghosts. Usually this little creeps added in the heavy platforming segments, where they try their best to shove you to death from platforms, or just annoy you, while you fighting and jumping around. After using continue, player will start the game in the section where he was killed off. However, there are only two continues, unlike pretty much all past entries in the series. However there is also a password system, that allow you to access any level. On note: Normal and Expert difficulties have different passwords for them. But in order to use passwords for the Expert difficulty it should be activated first.

Now more about personal gameplay. John Morris is essentialy a "Belmont" character of this game. He fights with the whip Vampire Killer, but unlike Richter in the ROB he can strike not only forward, but also diagonally upward. Sadly he couldn't whip diagonally downward, but being able to strike in more than one direction is better than usual deal, I think. Much like Simon in SCV4, John can use whip to attach himself to the ceiling and jump over the gaps, Indiana Jones style. However, unlike Simon, he doesn't need special hooks for it - he can attach whip to any ceiling that could be found in the game and also, during jump he can deal damage to the enemies. His first two upgrades turns whip into Chain Whip and Morning Star respectevely. Final upgrade turns it into a Flame Whip. It's little more powerfull, but a quite slower than Morning Star. It adds annoying choice to the game - use fast weapon or more powerfull, but slower. Given that in this game it is very important to react at enemy attacks as fast as possible slow weapon is not a good option. His special weapon, that plyer receives alongside final upgrade for the whip - is Blue Crystal. When activated, it creates a projectile that destroy every object on the screen, be it enemy or a candle. While it is powerful, it eat hearts very fast. Besides, in some cases it is much more simplier to use Axe or a Boumerang instead of that costly super subweapon. For that reasons I try to avoid getting final upgrade for the whip, whenever possible. In general John could whip quite fast, but there is certain annoying delay before strike. Because of it, it's very hard to whip fast enemies, that suddenly come into close proximity (like Bats or Mecha Battlers in the final level). Even if you see approaching enemy and know where to strike, it will take some time before an actual strike happen and most of the time player will receive damage, that in certain places could be lethal. Also, John's hitbox is awkwardly big. In some situations player could receive damage even, if enemy seemingly haven't touched him at all. It adds to the annoyingness of the gameplay. His jumping mechanic takes some time to get use to, but there is not much problem with it. In general his controls are good, but not so precise as controls in SCV4 or ROB, there is certain "heaviness" in his moves, that reminds about NES titles.

Eric controls pretty much in the like John. He has the same weight and speed, though maybe he is a tiny bit faster. His weapon, though, is completely different and gives him several unique abilitites. His spear quite faster then the whip. And its speed quite consistent between upgrades. The only thing that changes - is weapon reach. With which upgrage it will become bigger. In its most powerfull form, Spear can cover more ditance rather than the Whip, I think. Also, unlike whip, the last upgrade doesn't make spear more powerfull, but slower. Flame upgrade makes it a bit faster and more powerfull, so there is no reason to avoid it, like in case with John's final upgrade. Eric's special weapon is Multi Projectiles. Eric emits three waves of big green orbs, one after the other, so they cover the whole screen. It is faster than John's Blue Crystal and more useful. Besides, it can damage offscreen enemies. However, even without special abilities realted to the upgrades, Eric still have an advantage, when it comes to his weapon. He can actually strike in multiple directions! Up, diagonally up and straight down, while jumping. Sadly he can strike up only when he is standing on the ground, so Eric is still not so versatile like Simon in SCV4, but he is much closer to him, than whip-wielder of the game. Also Eric can propel himself high into the air. Hold down for several seconds (or just for a little more than a second, but it takes practice) and Eric starts blinking. Press jump at this moment and Eric will execute high jump. It is uncontrolable, so you can jump only vertically and you can't attack during high jump - it makes you an easy target for some enemies. However, during the high jump Eric will automatically collect stuff from the candles. Just stand directly under them, while doing a high jump. In general, Eric is easier to control, than John. His weapon has more reach, consistent in its speed, doesn't suffer from upgrades and Eric can strike in multiple directions. Plus, there is his ability to execute high jump and very useful special subweapon.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »
+4
The game have six levels, that smoothly merge platforming and action parts, I think for the first time after SCV4. I even go so far to say, that in some moments, Bloodlines achieve even better combination of the platforming and action sections, thanks to the highly experimental nature of the game. All of the levels are quite short and have "one screen wide rooms", that are considered as separate sections of the level. Because of this pretty much all levels have some astronomical amount of sections (approximately 9-11 per level), when being compared to the past games with that system. Some sections are separated by doors, but most of them - aren't.

Stage 1 is a Dracula's Castle Ruins and its an obligatory homage to the first level of the original Castlevania. It starts outside of the castle and continues into (an obligatory) remake of the first level from Castlevania that looks quite beautiful. It's also has (an obligatory) basement with (obligatory) Fishmen lurking underwater. However in this game Fishmen are much less of a threat than they were in Rondo. The level continues with midboss battle with half-rotten Hyena and into big halls with axes and skeletons. After rather short, but hard sections, player ends near the giant abyss which he must cross by giant skeleton of some giagantic creature. After that he immediately appears near the infamous staircase that lead into the Castle Keep. I take it, that player crosses from the top of the tower that was the end of the Stage 2 in Castlevania and into the Castle Keep over the rest of the Castle. However, in order for that to work developers had turned staircase into the opposite direction. The final boss battle in this level take place precisely, where you have fought Dracula in CV1 and CV3.

Stage 2 set in the Greece, somewhere in the flooded Atlantis. It starts with the small march through the ruins. This part has an awesome reflection in the water. Said water periodically floods some part of the ruins, potentially threatining to drown the player. In the next section player must escape to the top of the ruins, while water actively flooding it. It heavily reminds of certain sequence in Castlevania The Adventure. Minotaurs and annoying flying Ghosts will try to stop the player from completing an ascend. In the next section player must fight three midbosses in a row - Water Sorcerer, that tries to flood the area (I think, he have been inspired by an Ice Wizard from Akumajou Dracula 68K), Armor Lord and Sword Armor Lord. All of them quite easy to defeat. Then there is descend to the lower levels of the ruins. Player must carefully descend, without being hit by Medusa Heads. After more marching through the ruins, filled with small golems and Bone Towers player will get to the small section with three minotaurs and then boss of the level himself.

Stage 3 is a special effects fest, much like Stage 4 in SCV4. It starts with a long walk during which you'll be assaulted by Harpies with spears and Minotaurs. This sections is one of the hardest in the game and I am not sure why it has been put in the very begining of the level. Stage continues with three inclined sections and battle with midboss Bone King Dragon. Or is it King Bone Dragon? Whatever. Actually section 3-3 is one of the two sections in the game, where player must use different route, depending on the character he is playing. As John, player must go through the short sections with Mummies. As Eric he must just climb to the top of the section 3-3 and he immeditaely will be transported into the section with midboss. After midboss there is long ascend in the leaning tower of Pisa, where you will be attacked by Medusa Heads. Despite how it sounds its pretty easy section and have a constantly moving background. Than there is straightforward section with mummies and crows and finally another ascend on the flying platforms to the very top of the Tower of Pisa. Annoying demons will try to hamper your progress, so its better to have a Boumerang subweapon there.

Stage 4 is a millitary factory. Unlike all previous (and both next levels) it feels quite disjointed, as if it was thrown together in short time. There is a reason for that, that I'll cover later. Few sections in the begining (up to section 4-5) doesn't remind me about Castlevania in the least and looks like something straight out of Contra or a MegaMan series. It starts with few big areas, that look like generic 16-bit factory and continues into small section where you need to evade giant pistons. Then there is more platforming. This time out hero must jump on the giant cogs. This part of the level is certainly a homage to the Clock Tower levels from the past games. Then player must escape from flying Ghosts, while jumping on the moving platforms, fight Frankenstein's Monster and go through the tough section with mechanical insects. As if level wasn't hard enough, in the end there is very hard sections where you need to fight Morning Star wielding Skeletons on the moving platforms, while Bats keep attacking you from behind. It's really one of the hardest parts in the game. Level ends with little room with cogs, that serves as enemies.

Stage 5 is one of the most beatiful levels in the classic'vanias - Palace of Versailles. In general this level looks like a SOTN compressed into one short level. It starts in the garden, where player will be attacked by different kind of plants - Poison Roses, that could change controls with its dust, different kind of vines and Plant Monkeys with sickles. In the middle of the level stands a giant fountain (much like in Level 3 of the AK68K). As soon as you pass middle part of the fountain, the water will turn to blood and spawn Blood Skeletons. As always they are invincible. The next part of the level take place in the Palace itself. It is very beautiful place. Probably one of the most beatiful classic'vania stages. It has an awesome  detailed background. And there also sunshine rays falling into the corridor, which adds a sense of magic to the whole section. But while you admiring background, don't forget that there are also many enemies to fight. The enemies in this section are Axe Knights, this time heavily armored (they require 6 hits to destroy them) and falling chandeliers. In the end there is also giant knight with sabre, so you better watch out. Then there is another crossroad for layer to choose from. John will go through the basement, where he can restore his lives and fight some guys with bag on their heads. Said guys have another bag in their hands form which they toss bombs, skulls, that later turn into usual Skeletons and sometimes Meat. If you are not desperate to refill your lifebar, better not to wait, when they will toss a meat - you can loose much more, while waiting for it. Eric must climb on top of the giant room while avoding lasers from eyes, that crawl along the walls. In the next section he must go along the rooftop, while fighting hunchbacks (though in this game they look like little enemy crabs, for some reason). Harpies will deliver them on the rooftop. This whole section is a homage to the middle part of the Stage 4 in Castlevania. After those sections player must escend or ascend, depending on the character he play with, in a big hall with constantly rotating platforms. After battle with Boxing Armor Lord, player will get to the final section, where he once again encounter different kinds of armored enemies: Archers, Lumberjacks, Knight-on-Wheels, and finally Armor with a machine gun. Midboss of the section is Cursed Column, probably the most creative boss out of uncreative material. After him you get straight to the section with a boss of the level.

Stage 6 take place in the Castle Proserpina in England. Each section has its own gimmick in this stage. In section 6-1 you will be relentlessly attacked by Medus Heads, that shoot very powerfull firebals. Then part of the bridge will collapse. In section 6-2 you will be amazed by special effect deployed in this corridor - the whole room will separate into different stripes horizontally. So, player practically will never be able to tell, waht is going on. To top that, he must jump quite a lot in this section and there are annoying Medusa Heads. My advice - watch your legs and try to kill Medusa Heads, when they go from one "stripe" to the other. Boumerang is the most helpful weapon in this section. Section 6-3 is literally upside down. It wouldn't be so bad, but you have to jump on the platforms that are constantly being swirled around by the small enemies. Alongside with the ending of the Stage 4, its the most difficult section in the game. If you make past it, in the next section you will be attacked by Mecha Battlers. They look like first boss, but go down after one hit. The problem is that they always keep running at you from different sides of the level. You can determine form where next Mecha will come from by sound. After this section a final boss rush, consisting from 9 boss battles in a row, will commence.

Enemies in this game are mostly usual for a Castlevania game - Skeletons (a lot of them), Crows, Medusa Heads, Fishmen, Bats, Ghosts and Harpies. Though, some enemies received new interesting designs. Fishmen for example looks very different from his usual incarnation. Hunchbacks, that make they return in this game, looks like giant insects or crabs and the onlty thing that realtes them to the infamous little monsters from original Castlevania, is their tactic. Amongst prominent new enemies there are Minotaurs, that mostly appear in the Stage 2 and different kinds of armored warriors, whose appearance was most certainly influenced by Rondo of Blood. Some enemies have interesting quircks about them. For example, some Skeletons in Stage 4, don't want to die from the first strike. After being hit they will be reduced to mere skull, but then they will return to they complete form again. Or in some cases you can cutoff Harpy's head, but this will not kill the creature. Its body will continue attack you as if nothing bad had happened.

Bosses are practically all new. Medusa appears in the final boss rush. Frankenstein's Monster a mere midboss in the Stage 4 and Mummies relagated to the postion of the common enemies. The first boss is Mecha Battler. It's very annoying and unpredictable enemy. I'd go so far to say that its probably one of the harest bosses in the game, thanks to its unpredicatble nature. If it wants, it will destroy you by simply walking towards you. Mecha consists form multiple parts and of the earliest examples of the multisegmented monsters in the game. After each several hits it will lose some part of the body or a weapon. Second boss is a giant Golem. It literally towers over the player, being almost screen-tall. It is not very dangerous boss, but it battle with him could get a little tedious, because you need to destroy most of his body, to get to the vulnerable spot. The only attack that Golem has at its disposal, is a punch that will cause stones to fall from the ceiling. Third boss is a Gargoyle. It is one of the most impressive bosses in the game. The battle with it happens on the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It's constantly rotates and boss himself have a tail made form little sprites, that move indepedently. While being special effects-filled to the max, this battle is not very hard. Gargoyle will try to whil part of the tower you standing on, and then throw some projectiles at you. Bot attacks are easy to avoid. When it has only 1/3 of its lifebar remaining, Gargoyle will charge at the place where you standing. One succefull hit, could throw you from the tower, so choose the place carefully and immediately run, as soon you see, that Gargoyle aiming at the spot you are standing. Stage 4 boss is a Gear Steamer. This machine consists from multiple cogs (that most likely were animated on the computer). Each cog is a separate part fo the boss, whicl allow it to transform in many kind of things. After each several hits Gear will change its form and attack pattern. This boss is quite easy. All you need to do, is to remember, which attack and form follow which. Stage 5 boss is a Princess of Moss. She starts attacking you as a flying human female, but after several hits, transforms into ugly insect. First, she try to swamp player in its dust. Then, she'll charge at player twice. And finally she will lay multiple eggs on the arena. As soon as its fall on earth, each egg will hatch and release little butterfly. They are quite dangerous, so try to destroy eggs, before they hatch. This boss could be easily spammed by Axe subweapon.

Finally in Stage 6 the biggest boss rush of the series awaits for you. Nine bosses in a row, without a single life refillment (on Expert). This is something right out of the mind of the insane sadistic developer. There are three sections with bosses. In the first you fight Reaper. However, before the fight with Grim Reaper himself, you must play a eadly card game. Reaper summons six cards - three of them will enable him to attack you with fiery projectile, the other three wil lead to rematches with Golem, Gargoyle and Gear Steamer. However, all three bosses have less lives, than when you have fought them for the first time, so it is more or less easy to defeat them. Reaper himself uses the tactic similar to his SCV4 incarnation. He even has the same attack, where he throw his scythe into player and create a wind that slows down your character. While he have much more attack patterns then before, all of them are easy to avoid. So in short, he is not the hardest boss in the rush. Just be careful. For some reason, Reaper in this game clad into bright orange robe. Maybe he decided to be as unorthodox as this game is?

In the second section you find Elisabeth Bartley. But before you will have a chance to fight her, you must defeat an old foe of the Belmont family - Medusa, who Bartley summons. Or is she turn into Medusa herself? And what if she always was the Medusa?! So many theories...Medusa has only four attacks that follow in strict pattern. First, she launches two damaging projectiles into player. You must just sit somewhere afar from her to avoid them. Then, she will create a stream of fire form her mouth. Just duck somewhere nearby her and you'll be able to strike her and avoid the damage. Then she'll try to sweep player with her tail (just go into the far end of the screen and jump over it) and finally she try to claw the player. Overall she is an easy boss. After that you will fight Bartley herself. Battle with her is quite simple, yet difficult. She never changes her attack pattern, but nevertheless, player must heavily rely on his speed and reflexes to destroy her. Bartley will summon several orbs (from 4 to 6) and they will swirl in the middle of the screen, slowly approaching each other. Meanwhile Bartley herself will keep teleporting from one end of the screen to the other, simutaneously launching fireballs at the player. Orbs she summoned before, act like some sort of the timer, as soon as they come together, some sort of super powerfull attack will be initiated. In order to prevent it and defeat Bartley, player must attack Bartley, when she is on floor. After player's hit, she will teleport on the other part of the screen. There is a little trick - she'll teleport to the fartherst part of the screen from the player. So, if Bartley dissappeared after strike in the left part of the screen and player will keep waiting for her in the right part, then she will return to the left part. Player must be very creaful. The best tactic is to stand in the middle of the screen slightly to the right or left. As soon Bartley will appear on the floor, attack her in the jump and return to the middle part of the screen, but slightly to the side, where Bartley previously appeared. As soon you see that she is teleporting in the right part, jump and attack her. Then return to the middle of the screen. E.t.c. Each succesfull attack will destroy one of the orbs in the middle of the screen. Bartley will lose part of her lifebar only, when all orbs will be destroyed. After her destruction only three boss battles left.

The first - is the Dracula in his human form. It usual deal - he teleport across the room, launching attacks. Though, his arsenal is abit richer than before. longside his traditional fireballs, Dracula now can launch whirling projectiles and bomb the floor with little energy balls. However, all his appearances are seemingly scripted. It means, unlike all his past incarnations, he will always appear in the same order during the battle. Also, there is other novelty - succesfull attack of the player cancel Dracula's attack, whatever it is. After strike, Dracula will instantly teleport away. Second boss in this room is the Drolta Tsuentez (witch that revived Bartley and created Mecha Battlers), though american manual call her as "Dracula's second form". She will fly across the room, launching little projectiles that crawl alongside the floor and the wals. Also she sometimes charges at player. During her most powerfull attack she creates multiple doubles of herself and each "Drolta", except for real one, create a column of energy, that heavily damage player. Very similar attack will be used by reaper in the Dawn of Sorrow, if I am not mistaking. Finally, after evil witch goes down, Dracula will return into very strange demonic form. Seemingly he and Reaper decided to be modern and strange in this time. Demon have three attack patterns. First, he launches multiple sickles at the player and then charges at him. It is easy to avoid if you have Axe subweapon. You can destroy axes before they will fly close to you, and also you can use this weapon to damage Demon. After loosing some amount of life, Dracula will turn red and furious. He will lauch a long stream of fire into player. While it looks unavoidable, in reality player just need to jump over it. And finally Demon will jump across the screen. At this phase he doesn't have another means to attack the player, beside jumping. But after every succesfull hit, parts of his body will fly away in form mutiple bones - avoid them and kill the Demon!!

Bloodlines is very difficult game. I found it even more difficult than even Castlevania 3 itself. Though, unlike THAT game, I can't hate Bloodlines. The game is just too beautiful and creative to be hated. The difficulty in this game is all over the place. Some levels start very hard and then becoming gradually easier, others - start easy and becoming harder. It is strange, but first boss in this game could give you more problems than the last. So, if you want to complete on the highest difficulty, better have enough sedative and something you can break and not grief about it.

Overall Castlevania Bloodlines is one of the best games in the classic'vania series. It has everything - beautiful graphics, awesome soundtrack, interesting and creative levels. Difficulty could ruin the fun, but with enough patience, I think, the game could be conquered.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:24 AM »
Very nice review and runs. I love Bloodlines and you payed it tribute. Bravo! ;)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2012, 09:06:17 AM »
+2
Very nice review and runs. I love Bloodlines and you payed it tribute. Bravo!
My pleasure.  :)

Tomorrow, I plan to post something, also, related to the Bloodlines. Though, it's not review.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
+1
Bloodlines differences between Betas and Final version.

Note: everything in this article is a speculation, since Bloodlines Beta Version was never realesed to the public, so far. Information was taken from several screenshots and old EGM issue. For simplicity those sources will be refered to as "EGM screenshots" or "EGM Demo" and "Tara Demo".

"Tara Demo" is a version 0,5 and seemingly have most of the game implemented in some way. At least battle with Dracula is already there. Version that was used by EGM preview is even earlier since it has one major difference from "Tara Demo". Going by information from magazine, this verion have 50% of the game completed, but still needed a lot of work.

Castlevania Bloodlines is one of those "not-so-rare" cases, where game was slightly chnaged between its development version and the final. However, there are rumors that Bloodlines become victim of ever wicked deadlines and some parts of the were simply cut-off. Let's see how much truth in this statements.

Global:
While it is hard to notice, but there is one important detail that could be seen in the "EGM screenshots" of the game. There is a timer, between name of the stage and life counter. Interestingly, unlike previous Castlevania games, timer indicates how long the player has spent in the game, since the time that it shows increases.
On the screenshot from the section 1-2 timer shows 00:38. On the screenshot from section 1-11 it shows 06:52. Either player have spend almost the whole time required to beat the level in the section 1-2, or timer simply increases.
I wonder what this timer could have been for? Maybe like in Castlevania 2 game initially supposed to had several endings, which depended on how much time player had spend in the game? Or maybe it was just useless counter, or some sort of time bonus should have been implemented in the game? Nevertheless, it was axed fairly early in the development, since "Tara Demo" doesn't have it.

Prologue:
From EGM screenshot it looks like prologue was different. Edges of the film are dark. The text itself is the same as in the first story picture in the final version, but the picture itself is very different. It looks quite unfinished, since it has only two colours with variations. It's hard to tell what is depicted on it, just Dracula's Castle in the background and some blue shapes in front of it.

Most of the information about Stage 1 and Stage 2 taken from the "EGM Demo".

Character select: in "EGM Demo" John has brown frame and Eric has blue frame in the character select screen. In the final version both have green frames.

Stage 1:
Section 1-1 (Approaching Castle): it appears on the screenshots on the first page of the EGM preview, where John and Eric demonstrate different versions of their weapons. It is hard to say, if it has the same structure.
Section 1-2 (Entrance Hall): appears a lot in the EGM preview. Looks a bit brighter, but that could be result of the bad magazine scan. Structure looks the same.
Section 1-3 (Peeping Eyes hideout): appears on the screenshot, where John demonstrates his whip swinging skills (first page). Structure looks the same.
Section 1-4 (Fishmen Basement): appears on the screenshot on the second page of preview. Seemingly looks the same, but Fishmen design is different. This section also appears on one of the screenshots from "Tara Demo". While Basement looks the same as in the final version, Fishmen design is the same as in "EGM Demo".
Section 1-5 (Hyena's Hall): seemingly the same, but Hyena's design is completely different. It looks like some sort of armored demon-pig. It appears in both demos. Attacks seemingly the same as in the final version. Flame Breath could be seen on the screenshot from "Tara Demo", window shattering shreak described in the EGM preview, second page.
Section 1-6 (Skeletons Party): appears on the small screenshot on the page one of the EGM preview. Minor difference: there are only two Skeletons on the second floor, instead of three. However, the second part of the level (the one that ends with Bone Tower) is nowhere to be seen. Maybe it wasn't caught on the screenshot...or maybe it wasn't implemented.
Section 1-7 (Giant wheel section): second page of the EGM preview have the whole map of this section. There are minor differences: background of the section is completely missing, big wheel in the begining is red instead of green, and it looks like there is no small compartment in the end of the stage with candles (below rotating platforms). Though, it is possible that they were omitted from screenshot on purpose.
Section 1-8 (Blade): begining and the middle, with blade trap, both appear on EGM screenshots on the page two. Background is completely missing, but giant skeletons with blade are already there.
Section 1-9 (Walk on the Giant): appear on the screenshot on the first page of EGM preview. Looks the same.
Section 1-10 (Famous Staircase): nowhere to be seen, but most likely implemented, since what is the Dracula's Castle Keep without staircase?
Section 1-11 (Boss Battle): level itself looks the same, but moon in the background is different. From the look of it Mecha Battler is completely implemented in the game.

Overall it looks like Stage 1 practically didn't changed between "EGM Demo" and final version. Number of sections is the same, and sections also seemingly the same as well. Even if the game was cut-down somewhere, at least first level is just like it was envisioned by developers initially.

Stage 2:
Section 2-1 (Sunset Walk): appears on the screenshot on the second page of preview. It's hard to tell, but looks like Minotaurs were already in the game and maybe even looked the same. But its really hard to tell.
Section 2-2 (Flood City): appears on several screnshots on the second page of preview. Seemingly have the same design as in final version. But on one of the screenshots there is some enemy with the spear, that doesn't look like Minotaur. Or maybe it is Minotaur, but its colour were jumbled because of scan.
Section 2-3 (Midboss Craze): spotted on one of the screenshots on the page two. In the very begining of the level there is Axe Golem enemy, that in the final version appears only in Section 2-5. Maybe this section was once supposed to have common enemies, besides midbosses and two crows? Or was it just placeholder for this demo?
Section 2-4 (Dangerous Descend): spotted on several screenshots on the page two. While level looks the same, rafts look different. They are fatter. Medusa Heads are already present.
Section 2-5 (Marching across the Ruins): there is only one screenshot of it (Page Two) - with giant head of the statue that appears in the begining of the level. But it's safe to say that most likely it was already in the game.
Section 2-6 (Minotaurs Party): not present. And for the good reason.
Section 2-7 (Boss Battle): appears on the screenshot on the page two, with description of the boss. Golem looks the same (but coloured deep blue), but ceiling in the room, where battle take place, is higher so you can see the whole Golem from the begining. In the final version you can't see Golem's head until you destroy several parts of his body. Also, this section designated as "2-6".

While Stage 2 looked more or less the same during development, one section was added to it, since final section of this level called not 2-7, but 2-6. I think the section added is the one with Minotaurs (present Section 2-6), since it never appears on the EGM screenshots. Of course, there could be another reasons for it, like several separate sections had the same number or something, but, I personally, doubt it. It looks like you should have descended right to the boss room, after long fight with Axe Golems.   

Stage 3:
There is practically no information about this stage. There is only one lonely screenshot (page two of preview), where John fights Harpy, on what appears to be the platforms, indetical to the ones in the Section 3-1. However, there is no background, so it's hard to determine, what section depicted on the screenshot.

From now on, most of the information comes from the screenshots from "Tara Demo" and my own specualtions.

Stage 4:
Section 4-1 (Walking with Skeletons): no information.
Section 4-2 (Factory 1 / Trainyard?): on the screenshot from the "Tara Demo" you can see that section 4-2 looked like there were some train cars in the background and bunch of Crows. Final Section 4-2 looks nothing like that and more similar to the generic depiction of the factory in 16-bit games. Some green background and conveyors (I call this design "Green Factory").
Section 4-3: no information, but since in the final game Sections 4-2 and 4-3 are pretty much one big section separated by the door, it could be deduced, that original Section 4-3 (whatever it was) was also replaced with "Green Factory" stuff.
Section 4-4 (Pistons): now this is probably one of the most interesting sections in the Stage 4. While there is no information on what this section was in the beta, I suspect, that this section is probably the only surviving part of the original Stage 4. It is very different in design from the rest of the level. Also, it goes nicely with old Section 4-5.
Section 4-5 (Clockworks / Molten Pits?): probably one of the biggest losses of the stage. On the screenshot from "Tara Demo" it looks like room filled with liquid metal and some platforms over it. Also, there are some reservoirs with metal. It seems that sometimes, those reservoirs should had spilled metal on the platforms, drawning them and hampering player's progress. It seems this section was longer, then one screen. It goes along quite well with the design of the pistons room (4-4). In the final version it was replaced with room with cogs. Said design was used in several instances throughout the level, that give me reason to suspect, that, like "Green Factory" design, "Cogs Design" was replacement for older sections.
Section 4-6: no information. However, since final version uses "Cogs design" most likely this room was also changed.
Section 4-7 (Midboss fight / Blimp Room?): probably most famous cutoff room from the beta. It seems it had a blimp in the background. It unknown, if blimp was just a background piece or somehow interacted with gameplay (like throwing projectiles or something). According to information from owner of beta version, you can't go past this section in beta, since there are no stairs to go up. In the final game Blimp Room was changed for one screen wide room, where you fight Frankenstein'S Monster. Guess, what design this room uses? "Green Factory". This further supports my theort that this design was a quick replacement for the older rooms. Also, there is interesting and strange screenshot from the old Section 4-7: it has Eric standing with the Blimp in the background. What is even more interesting is that this level designated as "Stage 7" in the screenshot. It's actually doesn't make much sense since in Bloodlines all levels are usually designated as "Stage x-x", not just "Stage x". Another big riddle of the Stage 4. Or of the whole game?
Section 4-8, 4-9: no information.
Section 4-10 (Cogs Room): in the final version you fight several animated cogs in this room, however, in the "Tara Demo" this Section where you fight Dracula for some reason. It couldn't be the last level of the game, since Stage 5 (or at least its final boss) was already implemented in the game and unless Princess of Moss was the final boss of the whole game, that is unlikely, I believe, Dracula fight in the 4-10 is an accident or just some careless placeholder. Either way, final version of section 4-10 uses "Cogs Design", so I think it was either different or not implemented at all in the "Tara Demo".
Section 4-11: no information.

So, after brief study of the information, I think it safe to say, that Stage 4, wasn't cutdown per se, but heavily modified. To the point where practically all its sections were replaced with alternate designs. This explains why the whole stage feels so disjointed as if it consists from different parts that doesn't have logical realation between them, unlike all other levels in the game.

Stage 5:
Sections 5-1 --- 5-7: no information.
Section 5-8 (Boss battle): background is the same, but Princess of Moss, in both human and insect forms, looks completely different. Also this section in the beta designated as "4-7", while in the final version you fight Princess in the Section 4-8. It seems there was some section added to the Stage 5. I assume it was one of those one screen wide room (with giant Bone Tower or Boxing Armor Lord), since it's easy to add such rooms without breaking the whole structure of the level.

Stage 6: no information at all.
The only thing that is known is that battle with Dracula already was in "Tara Demo", however, it happens in the Section 4-10 and there is no background, aside from some messed up tiles on the left of the sreen. Floor also loos like it was made out of random sprites. It is possible that Stage 6 existed in some form in version 0,5, but, if battle with Dracula is any indication, than it probably, was the least complete level of the game. I wonder, were Distorted Roon and Upsidedown Room implemeted at this point or not?

According to the one of the owners of the 0,5 beta version, most of the levels in the game are incomplete, and the latter levels have very few or none enemies.

In the end, I think the game didn't really suffered that much as some people assumed. Stages 1 and 2 are most likely survived without any major changes at all. I believe Stage 3 could be the same. Only one victim of the deadlines was Stage 4, which was almost completely replaced. However, I am not sure if it was deadlines or some different problems, that called for such harsh decision. It's hard to say anything about Stage 5 or Stage 6, but if background in the battle with Princess of Moss is any indication, I doubt that Stage 5 was changed that much. Of course, it is hard to be sure, when you practically have no information to build you theories on.

Anyhow, thanks for the reading this little text. I hope that sooner or later some of the Beta owners will share its treasure with the world and allow beta Bloodlines to be dumped in ROM. Or at least, maybe they will make a video or a screenshot guide of the beta version. Since many games, even in the most incomplete state, have resurfaced over the time, I hope, that Bloodlines Beta sooner or later will become available for everyone curious about development of this great game.

Information taken from:
Castlevania Dungeon and assemblergames.com

EGM preview - Page 1 and Page 2.
"Tara Demo" screenshots.
"Stage 7" misterious screenshot.
Brief description of the demo from its owner.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:43:21 PM by Sumac »

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
+1
Added links and bolds / italics to the text.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:52:08 AM by Sumac »

anything