Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Which N64 vania game should be played first for first timers?  (Read 10505 times)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Which N64 vania game should be played first for first timers?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »
I have played through CV64 more than LoD due to owning the former and having only beaten the latter's main quest on a rental. But I think CV64 should be played first. It actually has a number of levels that are designed differently than in LoD, making it more than a "special edition," and you get to start with a more direct Classicvania feel due to the whip character being there from the start. If you go from CV64 to LoD, you'll see some various refinements and differing quirks, as well as new storyline insights. Also, to my recollection, you'll find that a lot of levels are easier in LoD. In effect, they may be more balanced and/or straightforward; but I sort of miss the other level designs' contrasts from CV64, even if they do perhaps have more frustrating parts. I honestly would say to play them both, and start with CV64. But that's not to say that LoD is worse by any means. They both have their pros and cons.

Offline xscientist5000

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
I say 64 first, even if the gentleman's not around to read this. Just like some movies play out better with the ending first, CV64 will give you the real ending. Then LOD takes you back 7 years to experience events that led up to it. If you play LOD first, you won't get the same excitement outta CV64.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 08:29:41 AM »
He can read, he just cannot respond.

Vkiller, yeah so it's kinda like watching a movie, then watching its prequel and seeing a similar locale or two.  Like.... The Ring? :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:20:03 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »
i played LoD first and liked it that way.  it's a better experience and more polished.  i then went back to play C64 as a quaint experience just to see what it was like.  of course, if you prefer to start with someone who uses a whip right away, you're better off going with Castlevania 64 so you don't have to unlock Reinhardt to use him.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 08:25:51 AM »
I enjoyed LoD more myself, Cornell's quest seemed to  be more fun and the level design was much improved.   Its been awhile but I also seem remember the camera being somewhat improved as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »
I enjoyed LoD more myself, Cornell's quest seemed to  be more fun and the level design was much improved.   Its been awhile but I also seem remember the camera being somewhat improved as well.

Everything was improved.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
Legacy of Darkness. Simply for the fact it features updates that go into the stories that were from the first release. Consider it to to be "Super Castlevania 64" release, or something.

Tags: