Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A Letter to All Iga-Vania Fans From a LoS Fanatic  (Read 35509 times)

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: A Letter to All Iga-Vania Fans From a LoS Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
Because I wanted to use the two images, the CV1 cover and LoS's Official Art (Which looks like a homage to the CV1 cover due to similar postures of their heroes and the way the whip sways towards the viewer), to illustrate that they have more similarities with each other than people seem to believe.
Does that mean Harmony of Dissonance (and Despair too I guess, heh) is the closest we have to CV1 in the POST-DRACX ERA since they both have an actual CV1 Simon sprite complete with similar physics?

Offline KyleVoakes

• Hunter in Training
  • Suffering Like G Did?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »
Does that mean Harmony of Dissonance (and Despair too I guess, heh) is the closest we have to CV1 in the POST-DRACX ERA since they both have an actual CV1 Simon sprite complete with similar physics?
No, because those were nice little tidbits that they included in the game, while I only used the CV1 cover to add a more visual interpretation of my own attachment to LoS. Wouldn't CV: Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) be the closest thing we've gotten to CV1 since Rondo of Blood due to the linear stages, Belmont-with-a-whip lead role, and traditional platforming with bottomless pits? Yeah, it's a remake, but should it still count?

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »
OP, I like you already for "Suffering like G did".

For what it's worth, LoS is a game I hated at first, and gradually came to like after spending time with it. But it's kind of a misnomer to call it a 3D Classicvania. It shares three things with the classic games: a dude with a whip, mythological stuff, and linear, ruins-y stages to trek through. Otherwise, it's not much at all like the older games, and seems content to do its own thing, which is kind of jarring. It's the strict dichotomy of classicvania vs. metroidvania that put me off the game at first, because it really doesn't do either very strictly outside of a scant few cosmetic nods. When you get down to it, it's Uncharted, God of War, and a tiny bit of Shadow of the Colossus thrown in a blender. And while I do enjoy the game, I'm still waiting for a magical Metroidvania with loot-gathering elements as well as interesting and challenging level design.

That being said, I'm okay with what LoS does for the most part. I see it as "Castlevania: The Game of the Movie" (meant both as a compliment and a gentle ribbing). It isn't my favorite of the series, but it follows the tradition of Castlevania as a series not always having a single director, and I highly appreciate what it's done to bring Castlevania back into at least something of a spotlight.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
You probably should have just linked the images, since randomly adding them in the middle of your text

is kind of distracting and sort of makes people look at them

instead of your text.

Offline KyleVoakes

• Hunter in Training
  • Suffering Like G Did?
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
OP, I like you already for "Suffering like G did".

For what it's worth, LoS is a game I hated at first, and gradually came to like after spending time with it. But it's kind of a misnomer to call it a 3D Classicvania. It shares three things with the classic games: a dude with a whip, mythological stuff, and linear, ruins-y stages to trek through. Otherwise, it's not much at all like the older games, and seems content to do its own thing, which is kind of jarring. It's the strict dichotomy of classicvania vs. metroidvania that put me off the game at first, because it really doesn't do either very strictly outside of a scant few cosmetic nods. When you get down to it, it's Uncharted, God of War, and a tiny bit of Shadow of the Colossus thrown in a blender. And while I do enjoy the game, I'm still waiting for a magical Metroidvania with loot-gathering elements as well as interesting and challenging level design.

That being said, I'm okay with what LoS does for the most part. I see it as "Castlevania: The Game of the Movie" (meant both as a compliment and a gentle ribbing). It isn't my favorite of the series, but it follows the tradition of Castlevania as a series not always having a single director, and I highly appreciate what it's done to bring Castlevania back into at least something of a spotlight.
I'm not sure it's fair to use comparisons as a negative aspect of a game these days. You could find many similarities with anything as long as you look hard enough. Take the post above mine as the perfect example! Comparing the God Mask with an engraved face in a sword. Why not compare the Dark Crystal to using Summons in Final Fantasy? It's not very difficult. That being said, if you don't see the connections between the classic CV titles, then there's nothing I can do about it. I see them. I guess it's like a magic eye. Some people see the sailboat. Others see scooters.
You probably should have just linked the images, since randomly adding them in the middle of your text

is kind of distracting and sort of makes people look at them

instead of your text.
But a block of text is so uninteresting! :(

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
No, because those were nice little tidbits that they included in the game, while I only used the CV1 cover to add a more visual interpretation of my own attachment to LoS. Wouldn't CV: Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) be the closest thing we've gotten to CV1 since Rondo of Blood due to the linear stages, Belmont-with-a-whip lead role, and traditional platforming with bottomless pits? Yeah, it's a remake, but should it still count?
No, it'd be Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth.

Rondo's design was trying to do away with bottomless pits a lot of the time to incorporate filthy exploration. It had a little magical girl as another playable character. A girl in a pink dress who attacks with birds is far more offensive than pretty boys. It had more guitars than ever before. And it had all this pop, and hardly anything orchestral. The color palette was even worse! Everything was so saturated. Look at that blue on Richter's garb. It was drenched in 90's anime.

It is the distinctively smelly father of Symphony of the Night. It's obvious to see where Symphony even got the idea to be more exploration-based. Rondo was the foundation of that curse. Without Rondo, Castlevania probably would have stayed the same, delicate manflower, whispering in the winds, "Let me show you my Conan-Dracula fan-fiction."

REST IN PEACE, CASTLEVANIA 1986-1993

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:44 PM »
But Bloodlines was released in 1994, nyaro~n

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »
Also my first Castlevania was CV2 and I'm totally chill with everything past 1997, so I agree with uzo in that you are acting a tad melodramatic.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 07:16:17 PM »
Haha...oh thernz....

beingthehero: I don't believe he was being melodramatic - just as I said, his opinions in word-form is very emotionally charged, as would any of ours be if we were trying to defend something we really liked from backlash.

You know, I really hated it when the terms "IGAvania' and "Coxvania" came about. Classicvania, Metroidvania and Modernvania work just fine to define the eras the franchise has traversed through. The former two just automatically set the stage for arguments instead of constructive discussion.

Offline KyleVoakes

• Hunter in Training
  • Suffering Like G Did?
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
No, it'd be Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth.

Rondo's design was trying to do away with bottomless pits a lot of the time to incorporate filthy exploration. It had a little magical girl as another playable character. A girl in a pink dress who attacks with birds is far more offensive than pretty boys. It had more guitars than ever before. And it had all this pop, and hardly anything orchestral. The color palette was even worse! Everything was so saturated. Look at that blue on Richter's garb. It was drenched in 90's anime.

It is the distinctively smelly father of Symphony of the Night. It's obvious to see where Symphony even got the idea to be more exploration-based. Rondo was the foundation of that curse. Without Rondo, Castlevania probably would have stayed the same, delicate manflower, whispering in the winds, "Let me show you my Conan-Dracula fan-fiction."

REST IN PEACE, CASTLEVANIA 1986-1993
Oh, darn. I forgot about that! Aww, thanks. I feel so embarrassed now.  :-\  As for the rest of your post. Egh..... yeah. The original Rondo of Blood does have the "honor" of being the first CV game with anime inspired characters, but I can't say it's the first CV game that had a main playable character who wasn't a Belmont. CV3 did that; but at least RoB's stages were not like Metroid. It was more like CV3, only you really couldn't decide which path to take by choice. I dunno.

Also my first Castlevania was CV2 and I'm totally chill with everything past 1997, so I agree with uzo in that you are acting a tad melodramatic.
Well, I actually do feel a bit of sentimental attachment to Lords of Shadow. I'll admit to being biased towards it, and that's mostly because LoS dropped the anime inspirations and awful character designs, and instead focused more on the environments and presentation. I know it's a bit rough to believe, but I actually do have some feelings for the damn game. That doesn't mean I'm ignorant to a couple flaws, like the music not being properly looped during combat sequences, and the grunting sounds of Gabriel being a bit too grouchy. I still love the game though, despite the flaws.

Yeah, I do seem to be using a lot of hyperbole, I'll give you that.  ;D

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
I do find it funny that he calls it the 'IGA' timeline specifically, since games in the timeline existed before IGA came along.
Legends was Canon, leaving Worlds of possibilities
the N64 titles are only canon because they kissed ass to IGA despite 1 being completely horrible (Cv64)

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
+2
the N64 titles are only canon because they kissed ass to IGA despite 1 being completely horrible (Cv64)

Question:

How, exactly, does a game kiss-ass? Please, enlighten me as to how you came about that piece of info.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:02 PM »
Legends was Canon, leaving Worlds of possibilities

What? When was Legend canon?

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »
I think Nagumo or someone mentioned that it was probably intended as canon from the start, but then IGA felt offended by it and kicked it down a pit. Probably because it undermined CVIII or seemed to be riding off of SoTN. Or because Sonia was a woman.

It makes sense for it to have been intended for canon, considering it has Alucard and foreshadows Trevor. CV64 and CoTM pretty much make no direct references to the past games. There's also a quip by Dracula that basically assumes Rondo and SoTN never happened. But then again, Dracula is kinda an idiot.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »
I do not hate LoS.  But I don't like it, either.  I like many of the classic and metroid installments.

It's obvious to see where Symphony even got the idea to be more exploration-based. Rondo was the foundation of that curse.

Vampire Killer/Simon's Quest are the roots of the exploration-based 'vanias, not Rondo.  And Rondo's layout was obviously based off of Dracula's Curse, what with the branching pathways.

Rondo really wasn't that far a stretch from the series appearance-wise; look at Castlevania's bright color scheme, music, monster choices, and credits.  Look at the old game manuals.  Look at the wall meat, whipping candles to get hearts used as ammo, using a cross as a boomerang...

I'm gonna spoiler tag this response to the opening post because it's long:

(click to show/hide)

Tags: