Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report  (Read 188963 times)

Offline Esco

• In SERIOUS need of sprite help for the SOTN HACKED engine! PM me please if you can help.
  • Forgotten One
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Super Castlevania 3 Project--Progress Report
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »
People discussing whether there were mine carts in the 15th century

.............. were there blood sucking super beings, walking skeletons, and living slime globs back in the 15th century?  :o :P

Looking good Las. I have one suggestion for you though: put some kind of MAJOR limitation on alucard's flight ability (there are a LOT of ways to do it). Otherwise with all the additions you have given him, he will be WAY overpowered. Anyway, keep at it man.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:00:42 PM by Esco »
- Esco... the original New Yurican and creator of the Castlevania: SOTN Hacked Engine!

Link to the blog for the "hack:" http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
+1
Thats why I mentioned the motorcycles, this game doesnt need to be 100% accurate to our world. I really likes this idea.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »
Thanks Esco, yeah i agree i think alucard's flight should be a bit slower/akward like the nes version and suck up more hearts. It's too damn easy to fly through levels with him. Maybe he can take double damage while in bat form. I turned off his double jumping. Also i am highly considering making SOTN style alucard an unlockable with a bunch of other goodies i can't mention. But in his place put Nes style Cv3 Alucard. That means if unlocked the player will be able to choose between either alucard versions and various other skins.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2013, 11:55:18 PM »
I agree with the person who posted on Youtube; waiting for the blocks to melt is kind of annoying.  I thought so in the original CV3, too; that room has actually been enough to keep me from taking Alucard's route because I hated waiting so long. XD

Thanks Esco, yeah i agree i think alucard's flight should be a bit slower/akward like the nes version and suck up more hearts. It's too damn easy to fly through levels with him. Maybe he can take double damage while in bat form. I turned off his double jumping. Also i am highly considering making SOTN style alucard an unlockable with a bunch of other goodies i can't mention. But in his place put Nes style Cv3 Alucard. That means if unlocked the player will be able to choose between either alucard versions and various other skins.

Awkward controls will just make people complain.  Slower flying/faster heart consumption is something I can definitely agree with, though.

Having unlockable character visuals would be AWESOME.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »
Yeah, actually the code for the acid drips is gettitng tweaked. Instead of them being completely random. They are now being more on each side. So the drips come more equally distributed and in some cases more often.

Waiting is one thing, i agree can be  a pain, but i'm more concerned about falling blocks and how much damage they'll deal. When the video was shot only Alucard could survive that. I think i got about half way at time before diying with other players. So yeah it will need to deal much less damage. But yeah still be annoying and still have a knocknerf effect(where the player gets knocked off balance). So potentially if you on one side you could get knocked into the abyss below.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2013, 12:35:37 AM »
+1
 8)Ok back with some new levelage 8):

Molten Lava Caves
Super Castlevania 3 - Molten lava Cave(WIP)

-Just having some depth issues atm, because some sprites in the engine are too big. We are making necessary adjustments as we go.(all molten lava is supposed to be behind everything!!)

Purple Geode Caves
Super Castlevania 3 Fan Game - Purple Geode Caves

I though to possible add sparkels or even make the geodes  glow to some strange extent. Maybe? I would also like to add darken waterfall to the backgrounds. I may add water but not sure yet. The mummies also still fall of the edge cause i didn't add their edgeturn script, plus they need to be spawned.

Drac's Keep Retweak Update
Super Castlevania 3- Fan Game - Dracula's Keep Minor Updates

Ok so Just some minor tweaks to Drac's keep. The lions statues on the pillars, Portraits of Olrox,Death,Lisa, and Drac. Still wanna add Brauner's Big head Statue, the CVC portriat in the main hall in the middle of room 5 between Drac and Lisa. Also wanna add Mirrors, yeah mirrors. So you can see yourself going across the pendulums. Maybe even one in Drac's Room. Plus furnishings of course.

-Few extra Ideas(jotted them down )

Death intro-You enter death boss room. The curtain Is closed then opens. A sycle appear from the darkness, it spins around in a complete circle producing a pentagram(spinning),  then death appears from dark to light. He stands their rippling in the wind, then points to talk to player with dialgoue, Then he swings his cycle after done talking and fight initiates after mocking hunters.

Frank intro-Frankenstein professor will be added to a big table setup from POR(already added) where frankenstein is hooked up to. When frankenstien turns his head to see you he quickly pulls a leveler and it produces electrical lighting shock(Dr Frankenstein leaves through that door) hooked up to Fraknesteins monsters machine. Then frankensteins monster is awaken to fight you.

Dracula intro- talks from his chair(dialogue),while drinking blood, when done he breaks cup in hand. Then points at you to initate fight.

Olrox Intro-May ask Serio to borrow his, or potentially having him suck on a corpse and throws it too ground, then talks to player briefly before attacking.

-see saw platforms have been added courtyard
-planks flagpoles have been added to ghosthip(no longer see saw platforms)
-Autoscrolling rooms inlcuding block by block room in mtn range is being added.
-blood drips no longer hurt in mountain range(way too friggin' hard anyhow)
-may use swinging blades( fordrac's keep)/clockgears/ending from cv rebirth if obtained. Ending looks like one hell of an edit though. Also know of a video program that can take a animated .gif and turn into a video potentially for this purpose.
-normal auto scrolling being added to rooms 2 of DK and tower room( i forget)
 ;D cool enjoy!
Feel free to comment!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:42:02 AM by Las »

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 04:03:25 AM »
I love the look of the area in the second video.  And the portraits in the third video are a great idea.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 04:52:01 AM »
I like what I see here so far, but I have one big concern about the gameplay.

In my opinion, giving Trevor all of those tricks is going to make the game severely easy. My mine gripe is Trevor being able to whip in all 8 directions. A lot of the difficulty of CV3 came Trevor's dedicated jumps and one way whipping. I don't know what you gave to the other characters, but it seems to me that everything will be a lot easier with these new abilities. Maybe that's what you're going for and that's fine, but I fear you may be taking a bit away from what made CV3 such an awesome, fun game.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
I like what I see here so far, but I have one big concern about the gameplay.

In my opinion, giving Trevor all of those tricks is going to make the game severely easy. My mine gripe is Trevor being able to whip in all 8 directions. A lot of the difficulty of CV3 came Trevor's dedicated jumps and one way whipping. I don't know what you gave to the other characters, but it seems to me that everything will be a lot easier with these new abilities. Maybe that's what you're going for and that's fine, but I fear you may be taking a bit away from what made CV3 such an awesome, fun game.
I agree with Rugal. I think you are going to have to compensate the gameplay with a harder enemy types, traps, or something. For some reason other than the painting levels I am not so impressed by these levels yet. Maybe because they seem early and what you wrote in the thread seems more impressive and haven't been implemented yet. I dunno these levels seemed rushed compared to what you have shown in the past.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »
Well...Rugal...and Darkman.....i actually agree with you and quite heavily. It's funny you should mention that, cause i'll give you hint one of the 4 players has a classic style gameplay(coded by Obreck) probably unlockable. I'd like to see if LC can help me with the others. Wont' mention who though. As for skins well their will be various versions of each. That's all i can say at this time! Like to keep some things secret, without giving too much away. Also Thanks Gaawa-chan!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:06:17 PM by Las »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 06:14:22 PM »

Dracula intro- talks from his chair(dialogue),while drinking blood, when done he breaks cup in hand. Then points at you to initate fight.

Does he call us a miserable pile of secrets?
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »

You know what would be cool?  If he had a slightly different line depending upon which character you were controlling.

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »
Gaawa-chan i agree. Yeah somewhere Reiko,Crimsons, Prince Dastan and myself where writing scripts on Dialogue for the players and the enemies. We were going to include Drac,Death,Olrox, possibly Dr.Frankenstein, and of course players. It goes deeper though. And yeah possible outcomes for the Drac or Death scene could happen. We didnt' rule out that idea. It would be sweet. I think that is a great idea though, and  i do think we should stick with that. If i can dig up the dialogue we had. I can post on here. Granted it can be long.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »

Umineko No Naku Koru Ni - Episode 1

Jump to 1:30, he does something like that.

Also
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Acid drops weren't actually random. The first drop was random -- alright, maybe the order was random too -- but they dropped in a set pattern. Same with falling blocks. But whatever, that's just nitpicking. I kinda personally think the colors need to be washed out a little more and darkened. Dracula's keep felt a little too bright to me. Other than that, the visual upgrades are looking very nice.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags:

anything