Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dracula's Curse Animated Movie  (Read 4722 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:45:28 AM »
Hey anyone remember that proposed animated movie that they were making? Whatever happened to it? Any theories on why it was canned?

All they gave us was some concept artwork

only leads i could find was this website that hasn't been updated since 2006! this vid sums up my feelings about the project nicely (at 0:15)
The Office- Season 4- Kevin- PB&J

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:13:40 AM »
From what I recall they had money problems/weren't able to attract enough investors to the project, and then their license to Castlevania 3 expired. A real shame because this would almost certainly have been better than whatever Resident Evil-level schlock we'll eventually get.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:36:13 AM by Ratty »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
Hmmm, that's weird. I tried accessing the site but it seems to be down. I know it was still online a few months ago...

Anyway, from what I've heard about this movie, it seems like something that I wouldn't like at all. It seems like the developer are trying to make this movie "dark" and "mature" (i.e nudity, swearing, gore) which is already where I have trouble with it. While it's true we have a game that also contains those elements (Lords), I think it's such a mood wouldn't fit Castlevania 3, the game that they are adapting, at all.

Secondly, judging from the brief summary that one of the producers put online, the script writer clearly didn't know what he was doing when he wrote the story. When also looking at his various blog posts you can tell he is not at all familiar with the original Japanese storyline of the game, and instead bases his story on the American version. Case in point, he makes Grant a pirate because that's what the American manual says. Because he thought Grant was a pirate, he even reasoned that he originally didn't want to put him in the movie for that reason (he thought pirates in Transylvania were silly, something you can't blame him for I guess). Furthermore, as a result of not using the Japanese storyline as a reference, I noticed some other conflicts, and just overall bizarre stuff, as well.

Now don't get me wrong here, I wouldn't have minded this if the movie was intented to be like some sort of alternate continuity retelling of the game, but the blog says there were specifically trying to fit it into the continuity, which would be completely ridiculous with all the conflicts and general unfaithfulness to the story of the game.

It's possible that the summary I read was just a very early version of the story, because the writer complained on his blog that IGA made him do various rewrites (for good reason judging from the summary).

I would be very interested in a faithful adaptation of Castlevania 3, but after reading that summary, I don't know if I want to see it get made.       

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
Judging from the artwork and lack of knowledge and proper direction on the script writer's part, I'm glad it didn't get made. If there ever was to be a CV III animated movie then I'd rather see it done in the style of the old horror films of the day as that's what the game itself was reflecting. And definitely no shitty Hollywood tactics like inserting a love triangle into the story where one never existed in the first place either.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:20:18 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »
The only thing I remember from the site is something about goats fu^&ing yeah....  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
The only thing I remember from the site is something about goats fu^&ing yeah....  :P

That wacky Warren Ellis. I love his comics, especially Transmetropolitan, but the guy gets a kick out of trolling sometimes. I think the entire Castlevania community was trolled with that comment - I doubt he had real intentions of having a goat-demon rape sequence in there.... or did he? ;)

Think that this project is definitely dead in the water at this stage though. Pity.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Dracula's Curse Animated Movie
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
Well, I'm glad it got canned.  The script was terrible and the artwork for Alucard was just bad.  If someone who actually knew what they were doing was to make a CV3 animated movie, then great.  And yes, as far as story goes, it should be largely based on the Japanese version of the game instead of the US version.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »
And definitely no shitty Hollywood tactics like inserting a love triangle into the story where one never existed in the first place either.
Indeed. *looks at Judgment*
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Tags:

anything