Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Metroid by MercurySteam?  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 04:43:22 AM »
What's a nintendo franchise that MS could do?

Balloon Fight?
They could put in a back story on why the heck those creatures want to fly and pop the balloons of the others.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »
Balloon Fight?
They could put in a back story on why the heck those creatures want to fly and pop the balloons of the others.

Nah Team Ninja have them beaten with years of research into jiggly balloon physics in advance.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
Mercurysteam's Castlevania should be a lesson learned on how not to remake a franchise. I don't want them to touch Contra and I certainly don't want them anywhere near Metroid.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
Other M was absolutely vile. It would take real effort to make a game worse than it, but I sure wouldn't pick MercurySteam for the task when they're already struggling to wrap their heads around the concept of adapting Castlevania for a contemporary audience. I'd expect something as jarringly dissonant and creatively derivative if that came to pass.

Thats Nintendo fault, Team Ninja didn't write the story of the game.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
I was talking about the game as a whole; I'm aware the story's repugnancy is Sakamoto's doing. I don't see anything redeeming about it in strictly mechanical terms either. Empty, dead corridors punctuated by grossly fetishistic encounters with plastic creature designs and not much else.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »
Other M was absolutely vile. It would take real effort to make a game worse than it, but I sure wouldn't pick MercurySteam for the task when they're already struggling to wrap their heads around the concept of adapting Castlevania for a contemporary audience. I'd expect something as jarringly dissonant and creatively derivative if that came to pass.
I don't agree. Other M is together with Okami and Twlight Princess one of my favourite Wii games.

Mercurysteam's Castlevania should be a lesson learned on how not to remake a franchise. I don't want them to touch Contra and I certainly don't want them anywhere near Metroid.
That is the word.

Balloon Fight?
And it will be dark and realistic, and every time you beat a level, the narrator will repeat a variation of "Now the nightmare is over, the balloons were succesfully popped... but our hero knows there is a long road ahead of him... his strength is slowly abandoning him, and he doesn't know anymore if he is dreaming or he is awake; reality becomes confusing and the nightmarish landscapes surrounding him reinforce the illusion of being in hell... but he knows he must go on, for the sake of mankind... for the memory of his loved one... and for the truth to prevail. Go on, my friend! The gods are with you, and in time you will learn the story of our sacred order of balloon poppers!"
Something like Bomberman Zero, for example.
That's something MS could do, for sure.

What's a nintendo franchise that MS could do?

Hmmm.

Nothing at the moment  ???

Not F-zero that's for sure.

Maybe Ice Climber?
Or how about startropics?
They can always make a new F-Zero game where you have to escape the police and run against another opponents in the streets of an american city.
That will surely sell, they only need to make it look like Need For Speed and insert the F-Zero title and some classic character names here and there.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »
yes, but only as a sequel, MS attempt to M. Night Castlevania worked once, but not twice.
Reboot-wise, I'd go with Ninja Theory, they could provide a very different take on space pirates.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 03:19:16 PM »
+1
They should reboot Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
Why on earth would Nintendo want Mercury Steam to make a Metroid? Though I admit I said the same thing when I heard about Team Ninja and Other M.... But no. Just... no. Maybe Nintendo would ask someone else, possibly Platinum (if Bayonetta 2 works out well). But even that is unlikely.

I have absolutely no idea who I would want to make a Metroid game.

Unless....

I know I mention From Software a lot (when talking about the future of Castlevania at least), but I truly believe that the Souls games have a lot in common with classic Metroid when it comes to atmosphere, especially Super Metroid. You are kind of just left in a world without much guidance. The games are very eerie and mysterious. And Dark Souls is pretty much a Metroidvania. Sooo... maybe From Software (Souls team) could come up with something for Metroid? A third person Metroid reboot, in 3D, with the same kind of sprawling level design as in Dark Souls. They could do the likes of Brinstar and Tourian justice.

Nomnom.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »
I was talking about the game as a whole; I'm aware the story's repugnancy is Sakamoto's doing. I don't see anything redeeming about it in strictly mechanical terms either. Empty, dead corridors punctuated by grossly fetishistic encounters with plastic creature designs and not much else.
It's essentially Fusion 3D. I thought people liked Fusion.

Mercurysteam's Castlevania should be a lesson learned on how not to remake a franchise.
That's like, your opinion dude.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 06:37:01 AM »
The frameworks between the two are similar, but Fusion's equivalent of a story isn't quite as embarrassing as Other M's "cinematic" disasterpiece, despite being forced upon the player roughly as often. I'll take the quiet dread of the SA-X and the Adam A.I.'s deadpan pragmatism over a bumbling cast of nobodies and nonsensical amateur hour drama, if it's a choice that has to be made.

Fusion locks you into a sequence way too often for its own good, but the actual level layouts and visual designs rate much better than Other M's desolate holodecks with all the charm of factory warehouses. The mechanics of exploration in the former are still in place fairly well, even if the game doesn't manage to do anything interesting with them. Other M might as well be entirely automated for how little agency it grants the player in covering its locales. It's an uninspired effort with superficial Metroid trappings laid on top.

I'd view Fusion as misguided and boring, which is still preferable to being clueless and inane.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 07:37:13 AM »
Keep them the fuck away from Metroid.

And Team Ninja too. Other M is a disgrace to the series.

Go back to Retro Studios Metroid. That's the best thing Nintendo can do now.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
+1
Well, Metroid Prime needs a sequel since how the secret ending scenes ends in a cliffhanger. But I still prefer Metroid games that aren't a FPS.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
Still think Prime 1 was the best of the 3. It had awesome atmosphere. Prime 3 comes close, with Prime 2 dead last as totally boring and drawn out.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
I have played only Metroid prime 1 and never made it to the end, because i never made it past that boss battle with Ridley. I would love to see another 2D Metroid game, since we haven't seen any, since the GBA days...........
Ruler of Chaos

Tags: