Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Beating SCIV without using the 8-way targeting mechanic  (Read 2888 times)

Offline ommadawnyawn

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure II: Belmonts' Revenge
Beating SCIV without using the 8-way targeting mechanic
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:40:54 AM »
This silly idea came to mind as I was reading the Bloodlines vs. SCIV topic and I think I'll try it next time I play the game.
Is it doable, and if so is it a fun challenge? To clarify, I mean beating it as if you were playing the previous games and not being able to whip in any direction but forward.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Beating SCIV without using the 8-way targeting mechanic
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
Beating SCV4 is doable but you have to take in the account that some of the whip grappling rings are really up there that you have no choice but to whip up or diagonally just to reach them. Over-all if it's strictly for combat purposes then it should be doable.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »
You can totally do this either by using the TripleAxe or the TripleCross.
But it does get a bit challenging in overly vertical stages, like the ClockTower or the Treasury.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:53:14 AM »
Does whip swinging count as well? im sure that could help too
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
From what I remember about the stages, there are some areas that require diagonal whipping to grab swinging rings. But, it really isn't need for combat if you have the axe sub weapon. So, from a combat stand point, it's possible. But, if you are talking about in terms of everything, I'd have to say next to, if not, impossible. Then again, I haven't played the game in more than 3 years.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:54 PM »
cool way to try playing the game.  i'll be sure to try it the next time i have Castlevania IV hooked up.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
Yeah you've really got to resist the urge to play it without using the 8-directional attacks. I've had trouble doing so because I like the ability so much  ;D  I-CAN'T-WIN!  :'(
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »
first let my to say something:
 This video was made with anothers plays that i made so if you see that the score or the wepon change its because i use another video because the others i miss a lot o make mistakes, this only to show that its posible not to show i can do without lose.
 In the colck tower its the only stage that you realy need the diagonal 41:00 in the video, that ring its too high
 Now another thing about the video: when i pass the stage 7, you will see that in the stage of frankenstein i have the axe and not the triple cross, i know that make the things easy but in the only way that the axe help me in the stage 8 it was to kill the first eye but its posible to kill him without the axe the problem its that the most of the time he will make you at least one hit, in the stage 9 i start the stage without sub weapon and the level 3 of the whip, thats because i lose 1 live and i will not show how i die i want that the video show  how to make it and i make the info so you will know what happen there, in the clock tower i start with the cross instead of the axe, it does not matter because i change that with the knife in the video and later the i grabe the cross again.
  You dont have to see all the video now go to the part that you think, how can be done and you will see what i do, the part that most cost was the stage 4, 8, 9, A (and here i dont know if there is some way to do in perfect) and B and i will never do this again but fight with the death with the cross its a big problem i lose and have to fight with him without sub weapons and it was so dificult but i make this (in this case i leave how i die because it was funny)
  If you see that i make something bad, perhaps a diagonal atackas (i dont see that i make it but in case) im sorry, tell me where i make this and i will see this, and the whip swinging if you see that i make it its because the button that i use to attack got stuck but since dont help me i dont think this count as a fail
 The axe if you are good playing its only help in one part, with the Zapf Bat (the coin bat) if you dont go with the axe you are screwed, you have a chance to defeat him but with the axe its more easy
 Sorry for the quality of the video
 I think i say all if i miss something i will add later, good luck

Super Castlevania IV

remember that english its my second language and im not good
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:57:14 PM by Jop »

Tags:

anything