Poll

Choose who wins the December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest

Chernabogue's "You'll Die at My Place" covering "I'll Sell at My Place" from HoD
3 (33.3%)
Dracula9's remixed "Forest of Monsters" from SCVIV
3 (33.3%)
BairaagiVN's remixed "Silence of Daylight" from CV2
1 (11.1%)
BMC_War Machine's "Stalker" - Followers of Darkness IV
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 30, 2014, 12:56:28 AM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest  (Read 28936 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 11:24:49 PM »
omg DO IT

DO IT CHERN

USE HIS LAUGH AS AN INSTRUMENT

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 12:18:37 AM »
It'll be quite difficult to do something with a source that's two-measure long, hehe. But that's a challenge I'll definitively do.

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »
First pass at my entry. Still a long way from finished, but you get the idea.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/2944vtx3444v0ar/ContestEntry.mp3

First off, I love that you're using Forest of Monsters. Very good deal.

To critique, if I might; the percussion is a bit muddled but loud and overshadows the main melody IMO. You may either want to tone down the volume on the (ethnic?) drums, switch the sample you're using, or both. You want the main tune to be clean and distinct, especially if it's to be used as a boss theme.

My 2 cents. Keep at it though!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Interesting!  Blending tidbits of PoR's Forest of Doom ("The Hidden Curse") into CV4's "Forest of Monsters".
But I agree with Sindra... and I think the muddled factor is due to reverb.  I cannot tell if the percussion sample is heavily decayed or if you're just adding more reverb to the entire thing.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »
First pass at my entry. Still a long way from finished, but you get the idea.

Loving the fast beat to the song. I would tone the beat down just a tad so it doesn't sound like it's in fast forward (if that makes sense)

I would also pump up the drums and crank up that Forest of Monster theme a bit more so that it stands out individually as the main melody of the track.

Otherwise I am liking this alot!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
Now that I've got the tablas I wanted, I'm working on fixing the percussion currently. I'm hesitant to slow the song down, because it runs the risk of sounding like an ordinary remix if its tempo is too close to the original Forest of Monster's.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »
But I agree with Sindra... and I think the muddled factor is due to reverb.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. That reverb needs to get toned down HARD.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 02:39:41 AM »
Remixing "The Merchant" isn't easy at all. But the result may surprise you. :)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 07:06:54 AM »
My entry: You'll Die at My Place (covering "I'll Sell at My Place", the Merchant's theme from Harmony of Dissonance).

It's short, but go try remixing that fucking theme and we'll talk. ;) Inspired by The Arcade's "Walking on the Edge" remix and by the LoS soundtracks. Features a laugh as requested by Dracula9 (even if I couldn't find the real one). Enjoy!

Maybe I'll do another entry later, or change a little this one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »
I'll rip the real one for you. This deserves it.

Edit: Yeah, the LoS inspiration really shines. I'm getting a heavy Carmilla's Fight vibe.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:11:46 AM by Dracula9 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2014, 07:23:04 AM »
Fixed. Maybe.

Ooohhh.Drums.....

You made it a tad slower, this feels way better.

I still say crank up those congos even more..they feel like they should be louder

I like everything else about this song.

I hate fade out's, you should create a outro to the song. Maybe a solo congo beat or something..it just seems to go out
My entry: You'll Die at My Place (covering "I'll Sell at My Place", the Merchant's theme from Harmony of Dissonance).

It's short, but go try remixing that fucking theme and we'll talk. ;) Inspired by The Arcade's "Walking on the Edge" remix and by the LoS soundtracks. Features a laugh as requested by Dracula9 (even if I couldn't find the real one). Enjoy!

Wow that's a heck of an update!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:29:12 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »
Fixed. Maybe.

Skeletarzan :P
Its getting better and better, you should try to use more of these effects near the end in the rest of the music if it sounds good.

Merchant: You forgot me to die inside the castle, now you will PAY.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2014, 05:17:45 AM »
Hey since this is the first time I'm doing remixing of this sort I'm in need of a little help. I've got my idea all planned out and even have a nice intro for my theme. What I am lacking however is a reasonable library of soundfonts. I'm using Logic Pro X and I'm in dire need of drums/ percussion fonts. Right now I have a timpani and a bunch of synthesizers that do not sound the way I need them to. Cheers to whoever helps me.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 08:02:37 AM »
Look into the Unison, SGM, and Timbres of Heaven soundfonts. They have great drumkits.

I'd post them myself but the latter two are very large files, and with how wonky Mediafire's been acting with me lately I don't think it would comply with them.

Tags:

anything