Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Games you thought you would hate but ended up liking  (Read 6680 times)

Online VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Games you thought you would hate but ended up liking
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 05:09:39 AM »
I'm assuming for the 3ds you're referring to 3d Land, not 3d World and I disagree.
I bring this up because 3d Land is a game I initially believed would be average, but turned out to be one of the best 3d platformers I've ever played and it slightly edges over 3d World for me (and yes I've played through 3d World with 4 players - at its best).

The idea that you need the 3d feature on to play 3d Land is false. Yes there are segments which are made easier by the 3d effect, however, these are few and far between and it is certainly not require for 95% of the game. (As a gamer who played 3ds extensively, I never left the 3d effect on for more than 30 mins on the lowest setting and I personally wouldn't recommend anyone to do this.) If anything 3d World, which boasted more complex levels, I could've benefited from 3d glasses on specific levels where you're on a fast-moving platform and it can be difficult to judge the depth perception when you need to make certain jumps (similar to Axo-Battle Toads, but not as brutal in difficulty).

Content-wise, 3dL had 8 worlds, special stages, more bite-size levels which were conducive to a 1 player experience and a much more satisfying final boss battle. 3dW was more complex, more graphically nice, had the cat mechanic which was interesting but was only great with 4 people, had too many racing/ on-rails segments, only had 7 worlds and a lame final boss battle which killed the rest of the game's momentum imho. It also had the golden 'cheat' Tanooki leaf, which there should've been an option to turn-off, or simply give the player the P-Wing on rare occasions like SMB3 did.

For me personally, SMB3 as a kid, was my favourite Mario game of all time (technically All-Stars, but if I had to choose one game it would be the All-Stars version of SMB3). This basically remained unchanged, although New SMB was a rival contender for some time, but 3DL took it and for the few 3D Mario's I've completed, it still holds the torch which is yet to be passed.

Yeah, I agree that 3D Land doesn't need the 3D effect to be enjoyed, but early on I read the contrary from several people online, giving me a false impression of the game. I regret ever listening to them because I LOVED 3D Land after finally playing it.

As far as which of the two 3D games I prefer, I do slightly prefer 3D World simply because I can use a proper gamepad and play on a big screen, but purely from a game design standpoint, I feel like they are really close to each other.

As for SMB3, yes, I am part of the Mario 3 = GOAT Mario gang. Below is a picture of one of the walls in my game development office!
(click to show/hide)

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »

Online VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
Well there's your answer. Called it right?  :D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 10:39:22 AM »
The rumors I've heard is that Nintendo planned to re-release several Mario games, including 3D World, for the 35th anniversary of the franchise. But I've also heard that Covid has had a really negative impact on Nintendo, heavily slowing down all of their projects.

Maybe Metroid 4 isn't as impacted, since its being developed in Austin, TX.

Metroid Prime 4 is quite a ways off, they cancelled the game the previous company was developing over the past few years, and Retro is just now starting from scratch--expect at least 1 year, but general speculation from gaming mags/sites says 2-3 years :(
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »
Mario 3D World.

3D world is just so meh for me. Made it to the last "non-hidden" level 6 years ago when I still lived in the States, and just pulled the Wii U out again to play a few weeks ago, and beat the game, and am now collecting all the stars/stickers to get the hidden character / secret last level.

But this type of platforming I hate, especially when you are playing in multiplayer and trying to coordinate jumps with everyone, it is just ridiculous how fast you can blow through a stockpile of extra lives...

Give me 2D any day. It's not that I do not appreciate some of the massively creative levels in 3D world, it is just always gonna be better single player for me, and even then, I would rather do Mario 64 or something.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:46:47 AM by Jazz Paladin Productions »
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 09:22:28 PM »
I have a few that come to mind.

A buddy of mine wanted me to play Ace Combat 5, so he lent it to me. I didn't really think I'd care for it that much, since nearly everything I play has more fantasy than piloting a fighter jet, but it was pretty fun. I mean, not fun enough to seek out any of the other Ace Combat games or anything, but I enjoyed it.

Another time, a guy I worked with wanted to borrow something of mine and lent me Rainbow Six: Vegas, and for the same reasons as Ace Combat 5, I didn't expect to like it. But that was really fun, too. There wasn't a whole lot of story to get into (which is funny, since it has an author's name plastered on it, but I digress), but it was a fun, competent shooter. I even bought the sequel used several years back, but haven't touched it yet.  :-[
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags: