Poll

Please read my post below then vote

Castlevania is all about the details, something which looks like a Saturday morning cartoon just isn't gonna cut it!
3 (42.9%)
There’s no reason why cartoon art couldn't work for something like a fan made Castlevania if done right
1 (14.3%)
Just go with whatever you’re strongest at
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Thinking of making some HD sprites & looking for your opinion  (Read 2653 times)

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Since Konami have showed absolutely no interest in creating a 2D castlevania game to modern standards & because I could probably use a project to motivate me to practice both my drawing & animation skills I'm considering having a go at creating HD sprites for either Castlevania or super castlevania 4 during my spare time.

The problem though is that I'm not sure about whether I should aim for something detailed (but probably less fluid) like Street Fighter II HD remix or something more cartoony like Bloodrayne:Betrayal. So I just wanted to get a few peoples opinions on the matter before commencing anything.
Your input would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
Re: Thinking of making some HD sprites & looking for your opinion
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »
Bloodrayne Betrayal is marionette-style animation, and highly stylized.
As such, it's actually easier to draw, just harder to animate.

If you're doing full sprites you're better off drawing every sprite.  However it'll take quite a bit longer.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Thinking of making some HD sprites & looking for your opinion
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:41:31 AM »
Bloodrayne Betrayal is marionette-style animation, and highly stylized.
Really? I haven't actually played Bloodrayne: betrayal I just assumed from what I'd seen in videos that it was full traditional animation like wayforwards other 2D home console games. In that case I mean like Wario land shake dimension, Boy and his blob, and Batman the brave and the bold which I know use traditional animation and have simple designs which are well suited to 2d animation.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:48:27 AM by C Belmont »

Tags:

anything