Poll

Have you legitimately beaten Castlevania: The Adventure for Game Boy?

Yes, I beat it fair and square
10 (58.8%)
Not only have I beaten it fairly, but I also completed the second cycle after Dracula
1 (5.9%)
No, I've only beaten it with save states/cheats
1 (5.9%)
I can't beat Stage 3
3 (17.6%)
I can't get to the end of Stage 4
0 (0%)
I can't beat Dracula
1 (5.9%)
I can't get past Stage 1
0 (0%)
I can't get past Stage 2
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Have you legitimately beaten Castlevania: The Adventure for Game Boy?  (Read 11620 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: Have you legitimately beaten Castlevania: The Adventure for Game Boy?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 03:47:12 AM »
SIX LOOPS? YOU DID 6 LOOPS???!!!???  :o :o :o
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »
Anyone who does more then one loop in Adventure must have some form of masochistic tendencies. But I'm also guilty of that too  ;D
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
No I give up at the second level. :'(

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
I popped the game cart into my GBA handheld yesterday to try out the game with the secret rooms for the first time. I'll tell you what, the secret rooms take off some of the pressure of being perfect. They almost balance out the game, in fact. I think I got to Level 4 with 7 continues. And I actually beat the game for the second time in this quick playthrough. (I think my method of beating Dracula Form 1 by jumping forward over his diagonal fireballs and whipping, then retreating a repeating, is different than what most players use). As has been said, once you know about the patterns and adjust to the control speed, it's very doable. (I have found a similar experience with Dracula X SNES, which a lot of people say is very hard, but I find it largely a breeze and one of my favorite pick up and play titles. Even Dracula, who used to give me fits, is very beatable w/ the axes). Anyway, I found playing The Adventure on a portable system like GBA made me feel a little more in control than using the Gamecube controller on the GBA Player.

After beating it again, I popped in Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge to get a better comparison, and found three things I never fully knew or realized:

1.) A lot of the level design ideas in Belmont's Revenge are take piecemeal from The Adventure. The contracting spike walls, the destroyable large screw that causes spike ceilings to go up and down, the pike platforms that shoot out of the walls, the mad moles that come out of the background, the exploding eyeballs that take out long bridges, etc. Belmont's Revenge was actively seeking to refine what The Adventure did rather than starting over from scratch. Meaning, without The Adventure, Belmont's Revenge wouldn't be all that special. (As if wanting to balance the whip power-down, they made the Punigachi's the only enemy capable of lowering your whip's power, but slowed down their projectile speeds). I saw these things before, but never made the connection in my mind beyond the eyeballs and the ropes.

2.) Because so many elements that were so tricky in The Adventure reappear in Belmont's Revenge, you see that a good chunk of the challenge in The Adventure comes from the clunky controls. If The Adventure had Belmont's Revenge's controls, it would be regarded completely differently, I feel. Belmont's Revenge basically proves that the level design concepts of The Adventure are very well done.

3.) There are also secret rooms in this second game, as someone here informed us, but I don't know if they're quite as well hidden or useful as those in The Adventure. Then again, I didn't find them before I was told, so they were hidden well enough!!!

That leads me to a final thought. I wonder what the original perception of The Adventure was coming off of Simon's Quest. I never quite realized that it was the 3rd official overseas release of Castlevania. When you just had The Adventure, CV1, and Simon's Quest, I imagine it would make for some interesting opinions.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 03:17:21 AM »
One loop, one time, back like in 2.006, was enough.
It was my first and only time.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 07:49:30 AM »
+2
It was my first Castlevania experience, and I invested a lot of time playing it.

Much to no one's surprise I favor Belmont's Revenge more, but its predecessor will always have a special place in my heart. :)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Beaumont_Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
    • Haunted Pixels
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »
I beat it around the time my Grandpa died. It was one of only three Game Boy games I had- the other two were Tetris and Final Fantasy Legend, and I didn't quite grasp the concept of Tetris at that age. So I sort of beat it out of not having much else to do and eventually memorizing and mastering the crappy controls.
He's back! The man behind the mask!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »
Using a patch so we could move faster and doesnt lose power ups counts as a cheat right?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »
Using a patch so we could move faster and doesnt lose power ups counts as a cheat right?

Yeah, I'm afraid so. :)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
Ok, voted. :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Thy Gory Rory

• Hunter in Training
  • ...I'm holding my sausage hostage!
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
I own the cartridge and played it pretty competently enough to get to Dracula every time but never could beat him. I only could get to him twice and by then maybe I only had one life each encounter so it wasn't ever enough to really memorize his patterns... I would've played more but with the frustrating controls and all, it just really dampened my urge to master the game when the series has a lot more to offer in the other titles. Maybe someday, it's been at least 10 years or so since last I tried.

This isn't to say I'm a pansy when it comes to the other more renowned classic-vanias. I've beaten pretty much 95% of all the other games in the series to date. I'll always give a beat down Belmont style (I'm so frikkin' corny) with the original NES Castlevania, Castlevania Chronicles (X68000) and Belmont's Revenge for example. I'm very certain I beat Dracula's Curse but it was so long ago I can't remember if I could only do it with Grant or Alucard. Might need to go down that path again soon just for fun :)

Tags: