Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: So I just bought Alundra...  (Read 10664 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: So I just bought Alundra...
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 11:20:15 AM »
In Reply To #15

Yeah if I can find it, I definitely wanna check it out. I remember seeing the preview screens for that so long ago in EGM.

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 12:14:17 PM »
What was that one game that was like Landstalker but it was made by Enix.  I remember that the main character looked ... Arabian like, was short and chubby (more superdeformed) and for his attack, threw daggers.  Just cannot remember what it was called (or if it was any good ...).  I remember throwing daggers in a cave at slimes.  You were also able to jump on multi level platforms and the view was isometric and the environments were really grid like ...

Offline fallenangel86

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »
i think you're thinking of "equinox". had a nes prequel called "solstice" as well.

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
i think you're thinking of "equinox". had a nes prequel called "solstice" as well.

Yeah also the Legend of Oasis series is very similar to Landstalker/Alundra.

But yeah Equinox and Solstice have not aged well.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 05:18:59 PM »
Yeah Alundra was pretty cool, I remember renting it from Blockbuster back in the day. That, along with Kartia.

Never played the sequel so I can't comment on it.

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »
So, Alundra came in the mail today.  Had some rental stickers on the case and disc; I got the one on the disc off, but it was pretty frustrating getting it off, as it left multiple "void" stickers on the disc when I peeled the initial one off.  After scratching off those stickers, I pretty much have a near perfect disc (very little scratches on the top and bottom), and I can say that working designs really outdid themselves with the coloring of the disc.  I didn't bother getting all of the stickers off the case, but nonetheless, it looks well-designed: there are crystals in the box art that have a shine to them, and on the back, the description uses shiny-gold lettering.  The package unfortunately didn't come with the map, but that's fine.

Now the game itself: I love it.  This is pretty much shaping up to be everything I imagined.  It's like playing a Zelda game made exclusively for more mature audiences with its darker storyline.  Additionally, the dungeons vary greatly in artistic design and are challenging to the bone, with puzzles that will really make you think hard, or go over to gamefaqs very shortly, depending on your taste. The controls are simplistic but also appropriate; two buttons for items (weapons, potions, etc.), a button for jumping, and a button for sprinting.  Also, not having to buy bombs and instead having an infinite supply is a nice touch, making it so one doesn't necesarily have to go to a shop before each dungeon or blow up a cave entrance.

It is not all sunshine and roses, though: bosses are pretty inspired, but unfortunately easy, at least up to the point of the game where I am (just passed the cemetery, btw).  Movement is also another issue; more specifically, the movement of Alundra when he enters certain bodies of water is somewhat annoying, especially the halving of his normal jumping hieght.  There is also one character in particular who I find somewhat annoying; he speaks in one of those surfer boy tounges (gnarly, duuuuudes), and I don't think it really matches the European fantasy setting of the game.  I understand Working Design often takes much more artistic liberties in their games story than I have encountered (at least there are no 90's pop culture references), but still, I can understand players loathing of such methods. 

These complaints, though, are greatly overshadowed by the games positive features, and I can only hope that these features are expanded, at least maintained, as I progress through Alundra.  It is a fantastic game for anyone with a love of action rpg's, especially those of the Zelda franchise.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:08:13 PM by Slayer »
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 11:19:31 PM »
There is also one character in particular who I find somewhat annoying; he speaks in one of those surfer boy tounges (gnarly, duuuuudes), and I don't think it really matches the European fantasy setting of the game.

Offline John Capricorn

• Celebrate good times, c'mon. Celebrate ...etc
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
In Reply To #21

Alundra > j00

Tags: