Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The best "under-rated" game you've ever played  (Read 32440 times)

Offline Pneophen

• Ok. We'll move.
    • Awards
Re: The best "under-rated" game you've ever played
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »
I found Shinobi on the PS2 to be tedious.

Clive Barker's Undying is pretty good though.

Offline kupomogli

• Simon Belmont Forever
  • Forsaken
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2007, 12:42:40 PM »

The game originally came out in 1999 for Japan.  It wasn't until 2002 when Arc the Lad Collection was released to the US with the first, second, third, and Monster Tournament(one player/multiplayer game compatable only with data from the second game.)

This is before the series went to the PS2 and became total shit.  Arc the Lad Twilight of Spririts and Arc the Lad End of Darkness suck.

Anyways.  The original Arc the Lad also came with the package and it's actually worth playing as a prelude to the story.  The first game, sorry to say, sucks in comparison to most games like this, and is absolutely terrible if you compare it to the second game, but just like the Suikoden series, you can convert your data over to it, and the characters from the first game will be higher leveled when you meet them midway into the game.

For Arc the Lad 2 it seems the developers took a page out of the Lufia 2 handbook.  The first title is pretty much a piece of crap, but the second title is literally the most well developed sequel ever(prequel in the case of Lufia 2.)  Arc the Lad 2 surpasses Lufia 2 in this respect.

For the gameplay.  Each character can equip certain weapons.  Elc for example can equip Swords and Spears, while Shu can equip Boots, Shotguns, and Machine Guns, giving them a different range of attacks.  Characters get better with weapons the more they use them, which is what gives them an increase in accuracy.

Weapons themselves will end up starting on level 1, possibly maxing out at level 8, depending on the weapon.  Using the weapons will increase their attack power mainly, although some weapons will give an increase in the other stats, and others will even cause status effects as well.  Armor and Accessories level up just like weapons, but mainly give defense and other bonus attributes.

There's the main storyline(which is amazing,) but then the game actually has the Hunter's Guild.  The guild is introduced at the very beginning of the game with Elc taking a job, but that's only through the storyline.  Close to the beginning of the game you'll be able to go to the Hunter's Guild and accept jobs yourself(like in Phantasy Star 4.)  The Hunter's Guild is nothing more than a huge sidequest, though although it's not connected to the main storyline, it gives a little bit of side story.  Pretty much though.  Skip the Hunter's Guild and you're missing out on half of the game. 

Aside from the Hunter's Guild.  There's a tournament held in Niedel, a 50 floor dungeon that's on the original game, but also expanded to where you can go further down once you complete a certain hidden sidequest, and multiple ancient cave dungeons in which you really don't need to go inside other than collecting equipment and special units for a character named Diekbeck(who gains no levels but gains stats and can use skills based on the units he equips.)

Like mentioned above, there's also Monster Tournament.  It's an sortof a seperate game from Arc the Lad 2 in which you load your data into.  There's a character named Lieza who you capture monsters from the main game and can use here.  There's a tournament mode in which you see how many battles in a row you can survive, a versus battle mode between two players, and a versus battle mode against a group of computer opponents.  For each computer opponent and two battles in the tournament you win, a treasure will be unlocked, with the treasure depending on the mode.  Win against all the computer opponents and you'll unlock the ability to use your regular characters and a second set of harder computer opponents(and then a bit of storyline starts.)  The more you train and better you get, the more story and extra bonus' you unlock in the Monster Tournament.

Anyways.  Amazing game.  Though not my favorite, the game is my second favorite game of all time and a very underrated game which most people haven't played.  Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together is my favorite game, another underrated game though not as much as AtL2 because alot of people do enjoy it as one of the best tactical RPGs ever created. 

Other underrated games would be Brigandine Legend of Forsena, Brigandine Grand Edition, the Wild ARMs series, Mobile Suit Gundam Encounters in Space, and Mobile Suit Gundam Federation vs. Zeon.

-andrew- -kupomogli-

Offline Jago

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 12:52:27 PM »
dude kupo...

whats up

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2007, 01:15:25 PM »
I say either Shadowgate or American McGee's Alice. Shadowgate is the ultimate point n' click adventure game, but I like the warped and creepy feel of Alice.

Jorge is teh shiznit.
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline kupomogli

• Simon Belmont Forever
  • Forsaken
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »
In Reply To #49

That's my signature actually.

-andrew- -kupomogli-

Offline Jago

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 01:38:11 PM »
hes allright

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »
I know, I was agreeing with you.   
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline kupomogli

• Simon Belmont Forever
  • Forsaken
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2007, 01:47:07 PM »
In Reply To #52

Don't you mean disagreeing.  I said he's the sux0rz.

-andrew- -kupomogli-

Offline Jago

• Vampire Hunter
    • My YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2007, 03:46:54 PM »
u just trying to hide that ur so horny for him by sayin he sux and stuff but i know u get boners over him n' shit

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2007, 05:18:03 PM »
Quote from: Pneophen
I found Shinobi on the PS2 to be tedious.
wat

The controls are kinda quirky but I still thought it was fun (has one of the hardest bosses ever). I still wanna try Kunoichi/Nightshade, the sequel/spinoff.

Quote from: Jago
just trying to hide that ur so horny for him by sayin he sux and stuff but i know u get boners over him n' shit
wat

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2007, 07:16:09 PM »
In Reply To #53

What are you talking about?

u just trying to hide that ur so horny for him by sayin he sux and stuff but i know u get boners over him n' shit
Ah, Jorge has that effect on people.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:19:52 PM by Azmodan »

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2007, 07:18:34 PM »
Has anyone said Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse yet...because that game was pretty friggin cool.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2007, 07:20:41 PM »
Was that availble for the Genesis? It sounds familiar...

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2007, 08:20:30 PM »
In Reply To #58

Wasnt it NES? I used to play Micky Mouse game all the time on NES it was really good cant remember if it was that or not. That and Duck Tales but who can forget Duck Tales... definitely not underrated.

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2007, 08:24:53 PM »
Well, I really do remember a Mickey Mouse game for the Genesis...I think the plot went that some witch or something kidnaps Minnie and Mickey goes out packin' heat to get his broad back.
And yes, Duck Tales is one of the better platformers I've played. Good times...the cartoon was great as well.

Tags: