Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Court ruling could hurt GameStop's used-game business  (Read 8294 times)

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
Court ruling could hurt GameStop's used-game business
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-gamestop_12bus.ART0.State.Edition1.2702a76.html

And used book and record stores, video rental stores, and, perhaps most significantly, public libraries. >:(

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Court ruling could hurt GameStop's used-game business
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:06:21 AM »
"We hope people understand that when the game's bought used, we get cheated," he said.

I hope publishers understand that when they make stupid ass games, consumers get cheated.

Offline OmegaDL50

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:35:43 AM »
+1
Publishers should also realize that unless they plan to distribute hard copies of games themselves it would not be wise to potentially damage a business relationship of one their largest distributors of retail games on the market.

The public backlash would be huge if the sales of pre-owned and traded games were put to a halt. Might as well take it a step further and put pawn shops out of business or flea markets as well for selling used products, or online auction or marketplaces, or craiglist.

The Publisher already gets by far a large percentage of profit for the sales of new games, especially when you factor things such as development costs and manufacturing.

The only reason the publishers are complaining is because they don't get a cut of the profits from the price of a used titles sale.

What of the reverse scenario in which Gamestop pays it's customers money when a game is traded in. Are publishers going to take money out of their own pocket to buy back an old product no one already wants. Of course they won't.

Because of companies like Netflix and other online rental places is one of the primary reasons why Brick and Mortar video Rental Chains are going out of business, especially the quite known chain Blockbuster.

The bottom line is all about the money and these companies want to control the retail and distribution themselves and just to maximize their own cut, but they don't take into consideration of the public backlash of it's own consumers that use places like Gamestop for a majority of their game purchases.

Consider the buying and selling of used titles equivalent to recycling, rather then just throwing these products away when the original purchased "license" or "warranty" has expired and is not longer valid. At least someone can get some use out of it rather then no one at all after the original owner decides he/she no longer wants it anymore.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:37:37 AM »
Kale how tall are you??

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »
I pretty much agree with the bulk of what was said here, but Crisis, I think you're in the wrong thread.  :P

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »
Omega nailed it. Like I said elsewhere, if video game producers want to complain about used game sales cutting into their profits, Stephen King has a right to litigate against people selling dog-eared copies of his books to used bookstores and Ford or Honda ought to be going after the used-car biz. ~_~

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:56:22 PM »
+1
I love how it's companies who release shitty games that are complaining. A THQ creative director? Fuck you, Cory Ledesma, your games don't sell because they're putrid anal grease. Who the hell buys wrestling games?

Who the hell are Autodesk?

Ya just gotta love this kind of hatred toward free market trade. The game companies may not get money on used game sales, but those selling the used games do! They have mouths to feed as well. Stupid cunts...

Argh. Out of frustration, I sent THQ a message through their website:

Dear THQ and Cory Ledesma,

In response to this article:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-gamestop_12bus.ART0.State.Edition1.2702a76.html

all I can say is, perhaps you ought to stop making such crummy games, and then perhaps you'll see more returns. Blaming it on used game sales? Really, now. That's pathetic!

I've rarely seen such a gross hatred toward free trade. Game companies may not see any returns on used games, but the people reselling the games do! Did Mr. Ledesma stop to think about those people and the mouths they ought to feed? I'm disgusted anyone from your company would ever make such a public statement.

Also, did he think also about out of print games before making that statement? So once a game goes out of print and stores no longer have it used, that game gets lost into oblivion? OK... So THQ's motto is to do the OPPOSITE of making a game that lasts long and leaves a legacy? Explain that to me.

I hated THQ before (every time I see that logo in a store, my gut churns, because I know that more than likely some putrid ass is sitting inside that game case), and I hate THQ twice as much now; and I'll be staring at that logo with even more disdain if such an absurd ruling is upheld, and if GameStop, eBay, Amazon Marketplace, and even people holding garage sales for crying out loud are no longer allowed to sell used games or entertainment software of any kind. What a stupid way to hurt the economy even more. (I realize it's Autodesk taking this to court, but one of your creative designers is mentioned in the article.)

A disgruntled gamer,
Chris

PS: Come on... Wrestling games??? lol! Give my middle finger regards to Cory.

May not have been the most wise thing to do, but whatever, I'm pissed! lol
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »
The worst that will happen is they won't respond to you.  ::)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:16 AM »
+1
Oh, I'm not afraid of any backlash, I'm just thinking, "Wow, that's kind of a 15-year-old rebel type message to say," or something.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 07:57:39 AM »
It needed to be said, that is all that matters, young padawan.  8) :P

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 10:09:27 AM »
if you were serious about that autodesk question... They make 3d studio max. I dunno what that has to do with this or thq tho

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
Someone from THQ was quoted in the article.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 02:52:21 AM »
+1
if you were serious about that autodesk question... They make 3d studio max. I dunno what that has to do with this or thq tho

Autodesk was involved in the court ruling, and from what I hear, the EULA for their products is nearly identical to the one used for electronic entertainment. The implications for used game sales could be huge.

Probably not, though. I don't know why publishers would want to turn on Gamestop, despite all the money they make on used games. It seems like that would be a huge blow to new game sales as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:55:49 AM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 06:14:30 AM »
I'm not sure why exactly Autodesk is involved with this.

Autodesk makes design/drafting/modeling tool programs.  They're mostly known for 3D Studio Max, and AutoCAD (Computer-Aided Design), as well as Autodesk Inventor... so I'm not sure why they're in this at all.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »
Some guy was buying copies of autoCAD and selling them online (Marked up, probably).

At least, that what I think the case was about....  :-\

Tags: