Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Favorite depiction of Dracula?  (Read 26061 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »
Where did that come from, pray tell?

I Googled 'Vlad Tepes' and eventually found it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 07:59:03 PM »
I vote for the PoR´s version.

The first time that I arrived at the Throne Room, I expected a normal fight against Dracula, but fighting him and Death as a team, was a really nice surprise for me. I like his second form, too. But, when Death gives his soul to Dracula, I would prefer a hooded Dracula with a scyte, wings, and a mask to cover his skeletical face 8)... Well, that would be great for me :D
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2014, 09:53:36 AM »
But, when Death gives his soul to Dracula, I would prefer a hooded Dracula with a scyte, wings, and a mask to cover his skeletical face 8)... Well, that would be great for me :D

Kinda like how he looked in CV II only with some extra additions eh?
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
Yeah, nobody can take credit for Drac with butt-shaped hair except Coppola.

I believe they added the wig to try and make Oldman look taller, since he was apparently much shorter than other characters he was supposed to be intimidating. I take it that the crease was supposed to make the wig evocative of bat ears, like the horns on Vlad's helmet from the intro flashback. According to some of the DVD extras for the film they had the production motto that "The costumes are the sets." with the goal to emphasize elaborate costumes with minimalistic sets. I don't think they quite achieved what they were going for to that end but it explains why that costume was perhaps a bit over-done.

I don't have a favorite Dracula, there's so many great ones! It's not fair to ask me to choose, it's not fair I tells ya!
I am rather fond of Count Orlok though.

If he counts.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:04:04 AM by Ratty »

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 01:50:54 PM »
Kinda like how he looked in CV II only with some extra additions eh?

Yep, that´s right :). Obviously much more difficult that the Simon´s Quest version, and not that taller... But yes, that similar appearence...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »
I don't have a favorite Dracula, there's so many great ones! It's not fair to ask me to choose, it's not fair I tells ya!
I am rather fond of Count Orlok though. If he counts.

For a long time I've regarded Nosferatu as being inspired by the novel, but not based on it per se. It shares certain elements from Stoker, undoubtedly, but I think it has enough ideas of its own that I believe it merits itself as an original body of work. I use the term original rather loosely, since nothing is really original.

Plus, Orlock is his own character in Symphony of the Night.  ;D ;D
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
For a long time I've regarded Nosferatu as being inspired by the novel, but not based on it per se. It shares certain elements from Stoker, undoubtedly, but I think it has enough ideas of its own that I believe it merits itself as an original body of work. I use the term original rather loosely, since nothing is really original.

Plus, Orlock is his own character in Symphony of the Night.  ;D ;D

And he's got a background cameo in X68000/Chronicles! Yeah I agree I'm glad they made him a different character in Castlevania lore. Castlevania sticks with the more seductive Lord Ruthven and Bela Lugosi/Christopher Lee inspired versions of the Count mostly. So him suddenly being this kind of plague monster ala Nosferatu wouldn't make much sense as a first-form and would be too human-like for a second form.

I think Hellsing has a pretty great take on the character that's fairly original, seductive and deceptively villainous. While focusing on the sense of ennui that would come with immortality and godlike power. Because that's an interesting aspect of the character that a lot of versions just miss. He's bored. He's seen and done it all over the centuries. That, along with (presumably) thinner and harder hunting around his home, is why he leaves for England in the novel.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 03:50:35 PM by Ratty »

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 08:07:11 PM »
I think Hellsing has a pretty great take on the character

Hellsing's great. Alucard is an evil good guy and it somehow makes sense within the show/manga. He's the King Vampire, yet he seems to take pleasure in destroying demons. He's a spawn of Satan, yet he fights and shows devout loyalty to a woman leading essentially a Christian organization.

He's a man of many contradictions. Love the show.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline EisaKrieger

• Elemental Warrior
  • Hunter in Training
    • My Cv: Fjording of the Abyss page
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »
The Queen of England is currently sporting butt-shaped hair!  Scariest incarnation I ever saw!

OK, that's a joke but seriously...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:18:34 PM by EisaKrieger »

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »
Does Dracula's CVII sprite intentionally look like a skeleton? Or is it just a case of graphical limitations giving it that appearance?

I ask because none of the game's artwork gives the impression of a skeletal Count. It could be meant as a surprise, I guess, but it seems odd.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »
Does Dracula's CVII sprite intentionally look like a skeleton? Or is it just a case of graphical limitations giving it that appearance?

I ask because none of the game's artwork gives the impression of a skeletal Count. It could be meant as a surprise, I guess, but it seems odd.

I thought he was meant to look undead, because his body was re-assembled and it's all dishevelled. Part of it has to be graphical limitation, if they were going for the same thing kind of Dracula as Harmony of Dissonance.
I never understood why he was so big though and the attacks he has are more similar to Death's.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
I never understood why he was so big though and the attacks he has are more similar to Death's.

Having a large boss at the end of a game was mainly for intimidation factor. That and you can show lots more detail on the boss themselves. On a side-note Dracula's always been big. His attacks do resemble Death's, however they are not sickles but spinning balls of fire.

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »

I'll never understand why he's so ridiculously easy. Along with the other two bosses in CVII. Two bosses! That's a crime right there. Castlevania games have bosses up the wazoo! CVIII made up for it.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »
I'll never understand why he's so ridiculously easy. Along with the other two bosses in CVII. Two bosses! That's a crime right there. Castlevania games have bosses up the wazoo! CVIII made up for it.

Me neither, well if you do nothing eventually he shoots projectiles, but even without the sacred flame or the dagger he's quite easy to kill. Unless you just stand there.

Haha, they're not really bosses, they're  more like enemies with high HP. Bosses you can't just walk past right.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD