Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848957 times)

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #4980 on: March 01, 2013, 08:07:08 AM »
- Gameplay is OK. I know this is a demo so I'm keeping my reservations. Combat is satisfying, but the entire control feels a little sluggish. I'm not sure if the demo is just VERY poorly optimized and it's a framerate issue I'm seeing, but it's not as tight as I would like.

About this, the demos in 3DS are very high compress, although there is usually no difference in gameplay, excessive compression can affect the music and especially the load times between stages. Read a game from the SD card is slower than reading from the cartridge (SD cards that come with the 3DS are cheap .. who knows the world of smartphones and digital cameras will know the importance and the difference between the cards SD and know what I'm talking about)

So it is possible that the version in cartridge has a loading time between levels slightly smaller and has no volume or distortion problems in music, but that would not have noticed anything in the gameplay ..
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4981 on: March 01, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »
It's possible we really got the E3 demo with minor touch-ups.  But WE SHALL SEE!

Offline MKKhanzo

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4982 on: March 01, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
Dissapointed/worried after playing the demo.  :(

Ragdoll-like physics in a CV game doesnt fit IMO.
I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4983 on: March 01, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
Read a game from the SD card is slower than reading from the cartridge

Uh, no.

Offline Akuma

• GILGAMESH FAN KING
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4984 on: March 01, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
Games from a SD Card would run faster.  I think.

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4985 on: March 01, 2013, 10:01:34 AM »
I passed the demo for the third time ever that I try I do best, this time I have killed and I just hit 3 times, the final boss I had not killed him too fast and using combos and dodge (to be always attached to it).

Every time I play the better I feel with the controls and I like the game.

PD. About SD Card (with cheap SD card like Kingston or ScanDisk is poor speed) i have the demo and i will buy the  cartridge. Timing when I get to that stage of the game what it takes to load the level in the demo and what it takes in the cartridge.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:03:59 AM by Bergaron »

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4986 on: March 01, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »
I've played the demo several times now and I really like it! The controls are pretty much the same as in LoS, just modified for the 3DS. The game looks really beautiful, and the music and background noise really compliment the atmosphere. I still don't see anything wrong with "OMFG BARRELS ARE TANKS BECUZ TEHY TAKE TWO HITS TO BREAK". There is a combo system. Same with enemies: Minor enemies SHOULD take more than one or two hits to kill because otherwise the combat system would seem incredibly boring. They go down pretty fast anyway. The way enemy health and combat is handled makes everything seem really tight. Platforming is really fun too.

The only complaint I have is that I'm so used to playing as a fully powered up Gabriel in LoS, that it feels weird having so few combos, but that certainly won't be a problem after I've had the game for a while!
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #4987 on: March 01, 2013, 10:39:34 AM »
Right, the time has finally come. I played the demo multiple times last night.

I really, really enjoyed it. The framerate dip didn't bother me at all, I think people are just spoiled by having 60 FPS games in this day and age be the norm, which is perfectly understandable, but this is essentially just like LoS in 2D. Whatever lag people were complaining about in the controls as well was just like LoS too. It was practically instinct for me dodging and parrying enemy attacks and taking out the shielded enemies with the guillotine move.

The overall feel of the game is definitely clunky, but it didn't bother me too much because it sort of felt like the older NES games to me. Sub weapons collision was a little glitchy, I couldn't tell if they were doing any damage to the enemies when they stuck on them, same for the boss at the end of the demo, that's really my only complaint. I adapted very quickly to how this game plays and will most likely be picking this up when it's out.

EDIT: Actually, one other thing I wasn't ok with. Turn your 3DS down when you play this, otherwise the music will make your 3DS speakers screech. I suggest headphones.

I have to say this too, this game is freaking gorgeous. The videos don't do it justice, it looks fantastic on the 3DS's screen. I've said this before and I'll gladly say it again, Mercury Steam has some incredible artists.

So yea, the demo left me with some very positive impressions of what the full game will be like. This game, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Monster Hunter makes the 3DS absolutely worth owning this year.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:16:44 AM by OSM »

Offline MelancholySpork12

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4988 on: March 01, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
+1
Right, the time has finally come. I played the demo multiple times last night.

I really, really enjoyed it. The framerate dip didn't bother me at all, I think people are just spoiled by having 60 FPS games in this day and age be the norm, which is perfectly understandable, but this is essentially just like LoS in 2D. Whatever lag people were complaining about in the controls as well was just like LoS too. It was practically instinct for me dodging and parrying enemy attacks and taking out the shielded enemies with the guillotine move.

The overall feel of the game is definitely clunky, but it didn't bother me too much because it sort of felt like the older NES games to me. Sub weapons collision was a little glitchy, I couldn't tell if they were doing any damage to the enemies when they stuck on them, same for the boss at the end of the demo, that's really my only complaint. I adapted very quickly to how this game plays and will most likely be picking this up when it's out.

I have to say this too, this game is freaking gorgeous. The videos don't do it justice, it looks fantastic on the 3DS's screen. I've said this before and I'll gladly say it again, Mercury Steam has some incredible artists.

So yea, the demo left me with some very positive impressions of what the full game will be like. This game, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Monster Hunter makes the 3DS absolutely worth owning this year.

That's a little more forgiving than I care to be. If it's true that the final product is more optimized than this, I have to wonder what reason they had for releasing a bad demo. I'm sure it's going to cost them sales.

However I WILL say that MoF has single-handedly sold me on the LoS art style for Castlevania. It's very gothic, but in a more modern, stylized way. I think it suits the series very nicely, especially now that they've done away with the LOTR clone and brought in more Gothic designs. It's great.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #4989 on: March 01, 2013, 11:28:39 AM »
I'm abit surprised here I have played it a couple times already, I'll have to check again to see if all of this is true I guess analyze mode. The first time I was so hyper about it who know maybe I was trigger happy(still like the demo   :) ) but still I find the demo to be way to easy even on hard mode beat the main boss without even getting hit that's my problem  :P .

Also has anyone told cox about these complaints and the demo being not of final quality supposedly?

Also it's a plus if the final game is better right  :)

That's a little more forgiving than I care to be. If it's true that the final product is more optimized than this, I have to wonder what reason they had for releasing a bad demo. I'm sure it's going to cost them sales.

Yeah in european side of things from my understanding it has been positive, but on the NA side it seems to be more negative will this be a 7-to maybe8 game  I hope not  :-X  needs some 8-9's

This game was too ambitious for 3DS. That was obvious.

Biting off more that a team can chew? Still getting(to deep to back out now ) this it has to sell well for even an thought for a hd release right  ;)

but overall it seem that the 3d effect is da bomb.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:47:26 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4990 on: March 01, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »
Edit: Wrong post!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:47:47 AM by Bergaron »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #4991 on: March 01, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »
Only one word.... FAKE!!! , in my opinion, .... But one thing is strange, they hired a team B for MoF (25 workers) some workers of team A helping them. 2 months ago the game is "gold" and have not fired anyone .. but last month is still urgently seeking 5 workers more ... mmm team A is complete with LOS2 ... what the fuck are doing ....

They keep repeating to friends who are tired of the criticism of his CV that want to make a new IP. Now make a new castlevania!, Do not understand, well maybe if ... crisis ... money.

But even I do not believe that MS will do it ..

Do not understand, well maybe if ... crisis ... money.

See Crisis? Its all your fault, stop trolling Konami hiding their money and return to the forums. xD
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:49:27 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4992 on: March 01, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »
Well, finally got a chance to play and beat the demo in-between classes today (US citizen here, btw). Now, I am a person who has liked all the games in the series prior to LoS. LoS just did not click with me. The environments in LoS where pretty, but that's about all I liked of LoS.

Now, as for Mirror of Fate. Overall, I actually liked the demo. I didn't really have a problem with the controls and I thought everything played fine. My only complaint like someone else mentioned is that for me, it was hard to tell if the subweapon was actually doing any damage. The music was pretty bland in my opinion too, but obviously this is not the full game, so the full game might have some better music maybe.

I actually had fun playing the demo. I was worried since I didn't like LoS, but MoF doesn't seem bad. I remember when MoF was first announced I was excited about it, cause it did look good, but I was remaining cautious seeing as I disliked LoS. Hopefully the full game is not disappointing, but I like what I've seen and played so far.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4993 on: March 01, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
+2
The controls in MoF makes me realize how incredibly tight the DS Castlevanias were. Controlling Trevor is anything but tight, but the more I play the demo the more comfortable I feel. I'm sure I'll enjoy MoF more than LoS, at least. It's a sidescroller after all, and I love those. But yeah, I can totally see why people would call MoF sluggish. It's a 3D brawler on a 2D plane. I wonder why Mercury Steam had to stay so faithful to LoS in terms of control (weight, feel and handling of the character)? But whatever. I'm buying the game.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #4994 on: March 01, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »
Only one word.... FAKE!!! , in my opinion, .... But one thing is strange, they hired a team B for MoF (25 workers) some workers of team A helping them. 2 months ago the game is "gold" and have not fired anyone .. but last month is still urgently seeking 5 workers more ... mmm team A is complete with LOS2 ... what the fuck are doing ....

They keep repeating to friends who are tired of the criticism of his CV that want to make a new IP. Now make a new castlevania!, Do not understand, well maybe if ... crisis ... money.

But even I do not believe that MS will do it ..

Uhhh.. What's fake B?  ???

Also does anyone here think that if "team A" worked on mof we would not be in this predicament?
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: .....?