Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Idea for a Castlevania Netflix reboot.  (Read 3346 times)

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Idea for a Castlevania Netflix reboot.
« on: November 13, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
I posted this on the Castlevania Subreddit, but I think it belongs here, too.

With Castlevania season 4 being the last season with Warren Ellis' involvement, there are three possibilities, the first is that they get a new writer to replace him, preferably Scott Snyder since he played the games, the second is that season 4 is the last season and the third is that they reboot the series. With the exception of the way Alucard and Hector were handled, I quite liked the Netflix series and am grateful that it put Castlevania back on the map, so I hope it doesn't end too abruptly.

I've had this idea for a reboot that you guys might find crazy, but the more you think about it, the more it will make sense.

My idea for a reboot is to use Castlevania Legends as a starting point with Sonia Belmont and Alucard as the protagonist. It hits all the right spots, you get an awesome female protagonist in Sonia, a brooding and charismatic love interest in Alucard and a coming of age story with the same story beats as the Netflix series and the backstory of Symphony of the Night also you get the bonus of having the best part of Lords of Shadow's story, the Belmonts being descendants of Dracula and the entire story being one big family affair. I know Legends was a poorly received and obscure game in the franchise that was struck from canon, but that's what will make it work so well, it'll be an unfamiliar story and given that there's no future games in the Legends timeline, the writers and directors have almost complete freedom with where they want to take the stories of sequels. So, what do you guys think and do you have any ideas of your own? I know Lament of Innocence would be the obvious choice, but then after that, it'll have to be yet another Castlevania III adaptation and it'll be hard for that adaptation to step out of the shadow of the current Netflix animation.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Idea for a Castlevania Netflix reboot.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 09:13:36 AM »
I've always felt that Castlevania's 1 and 2 would make a good series starting point. The Prologue of said series would be the final few moments of the original Castlevania plus the battle against Dracula. After that ends we would pick up the story of Castlevania 2 which happens 8 years later. CV 2 is ripe for introducing a host of new and interesting character that would either help or hinder Simon Belmont. It could also help bring about a more thinker story element with the Crystal-barring Knights. There are two of them in CV and we know nothing about them or their order. But given the time period they could be Crusader Knights who know of Simon and his quest and thus help him, so who knows? Since CV 2 is a non-liner game having more story elements in it would definitely work for a Netflixvania series. But only so long as they have a proper writer and director (people who've played the games). As for the art style I'm partial to classic anime with modern touches. Or they could use a more american art style like what we saw in the early 90s with Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Conan, and Pirates of Dark Water.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 09:16:38 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline DraculaFan1981

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »
I've always felt that Castlevania's 1 and 2 would make a good series starting point. The Prologue of said series would be the final few moments of the original Castlevania plus the battle against Dracula. After that ends we would pick up the story of Castlevania 2 which happens 8 years later. CV 2 is ripe for introducing a host of new and interesting character that would either help or hinder Simon Belmont. It could also help bring about a more thinker story element with the Crystal-barring Knights. There are two of them in CV and we know nothing about them or their order. But given the time period they could be Crusader Knights who know of Simon and his quest and thus help him, so who knows? Since CV 2 is a non-liner game having more story elements in it would definitely work for a Netflixvania series. But only so long as they have a proper writer and director (people who've played the games). As for the art style I'm partial to classic anime with modern touches. Or they could use a more american art style like what we saw in the early 90s with Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Conan, and Pirates of Dark Water.

That works, too and thematically, I want it to be more similar to Blood of Zeus since it had the great animation and action of the Castlevania Netflix series, but none of the edge and juvenile nihilism.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »
I'm a simple man and want simple things.

1. The main character is a whip cracking Belmont. I'm ok with side characters but to me the heroes of Castlevania are the Belmont. I'm ok with the Alucards, Somas, Morris', etc but again (and to me) they're supporting characters.

2. The series should mostly take place in a castle. I'm ok with a few episodes outside of the castle to establish plot and such. But it's CASTLEvania. The series has enough environments within the castle to make it not dull.

3. Some cool Castlevania songs.

4. Keep the story simple. Dracula comes back in a giant castle and his monsters attack the land. Belmont and his buds need to stop him. I don't care about the vampire government or the evils of the church or whatever else.

Anything else is icing.   

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »
that sounds like a show that gets cancelled during pre-production

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »
+1
I was thinking about this question earlier today. I think an interesting idea could be a Lament of Innocence story. However, Mathias would be a central character that's teamed up with Leon throughout the entire thing. He helps Leon, the two present a friendship, and we as the audience grow to like this duo. Then at the end bum bum bum he's the bad guy pulling the strings the whole time.

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 01:18:20 PM »
Personally, I'd just like for the story of the games to be animated as a series, 1&1, no liberty with the source material unless absolutely needed.
But that would defeat the purpose of even making a series, I suppose.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Tags:

anything