Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Are Dracula & co public domain?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Are Dracula & co public domain?
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »
I like playing a good castlevania fangame as much as the next person however I actually wouldn't be caught dead making one myself simply because they aren't exactly legal, at the very least they are considered by some to be a legal grey area.

So instead what I'd like to do is create the closest possible thing to a Castlevania fangame without it actually being one & I was just wondering if anybody knew whether characters from classic horror literature like Dracula, Frankenstein's monster & Mr Hyde are copyrighted characters or whether they are so old that they have passed into public domain?

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »
Now, that's an interesting question. Some seem to avoid naming the character, probably in fear of copyright issues (Hellsing, for example). The director of Nosferatu, for example, was sued, even though he changed the character's name to Orlock. Then again we have hundreds of movies, books and shows where Big D is called Dracula and he acts like Dracula.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »
The US copyright commission dropped the ball regarding the rights to Bram Stoker's character Dracula. Unlike Europe and England who officially recognize the the character ownership, the US to this day still hasn't. I don't know about any of the others however it should be alright. You're doing a fan game. That's no different then doing fan fiction. As long as there is no profit involved and as long as you announce the rights of who owns the characters, concepts, etc. then it should be okay to use them.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
IF its a castlevania-like game, as long as it ISNT castlevania, it should be fine. So for ex. no whips, no belmonts, etc.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Tags:

anything