Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why February 2014?  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:23:27 AM »
+3
Why February 2014?

As far as I knew the game was far advanced in development (engine, translation, music, design, maps), there was a slight delay with respect to the initial goal, which was scheduled for October / November but left to November / December.

Now the game is in late February, three months late. That's too long for a game over.

After researching a bit I get three main ideas. Two confirmed to me, another guessed.

1) Optimization (confirmed).

The new MS Engine is much better than the first and is better optimized, but it has to run a game with many lighting effects, graphics severely strained. And all that running at acceptable FPS rate, it is not easy, they are having some problems (especially with the XBOX360) but is being solved (although in some cases did you have to download something graphic quality). All this can justify the first delay, but the second no.

In the opposite case is the PC version for obvious reasons of multiple configuration does not have any performance problem and looks incredible. Even had to control the quality of PC to not outrageously higher than consoles and people feel upset ... The PC version of the original modeled (scenarios and characters) might look like any of the next gen game that will in PS4 and XBONE. But they limited it, now the version be able to use very high resolutions to better lighting effects and a towering FPS (and there is a HD texture pack it is not known if they finally included .. probably not at first, with the time ..)

2) Next Gen (confirmed).

One idea was clear from the beginning, wanted to avoid at all costs that the game came out in the 30 days before and 30 after the new generation of consoles. (in fact much game releases that are not next gen are doing this).

The reason is logical. A next gen console is heavy spending and people would have to choose, perhaps delaying (and probably forgetting) the purchase of the game for next months.

Probably would lose all effect of an advertising campaign because all the media attention of the media and players would focus on the Next Gen.

As it was impossible get the game with guarantees in September or Ocubre (for technical reasons in the console version). They decide to delay nearly March.

The Hype of the output of the next gen and Christmas will have passed, and many of the players will have a console at home but not many games that really catches your attention (PSP Vita xD?). And will return to the old system for a while, because the authentic hit next gen games are for late 2014.

This is the main reason for the delay in late February.

And it seems right, even I'm not going to buy the next gen until next summer at the earliest. With GTA5, LOS2, MGS5, GT6, Batman: Arkham Origins, Dragon's Crown, Sacred 3, D3 Expansion and many more ... Next Gen can wait a little...

3) The new Character/s. (guessed)

well, let's see, how can I tell?

Ok, I'll be quick, after several talks I have the feeling there was a change in LOS2 characters, at least for 5 months, I think it changed the story to fit the new characters. I think they just changed the name, design and some dialogues (in the case of Victor) and put another extra character need redesigning some things.

I firmly believe that the first story and character design was Julius Belmont .. and change a few months ago. I REPEAT, IT'S MY IMPRESSION.

The decision to put Victor has nothing to do with point 2, but other changes in the game yes, because now have 4 extra months ..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:35:22 AM by Bergaron »
"He who fights monsters should beware, lest he become a monster himself"

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:39:33 AM »
I would also agree that the next is the main reason.

As for your third point, they could add another character within the 4 extra months. If I am not mistaken, Cox did mention another extra character aside from Victor.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:15:14 AM »
OMG confirmation of next gen.
I love you bergaron.

Hope the 360 version turns out ok!

Everything comes full circle

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »
+1
OMG confirmation of next gen.
I love you bergaron.

Hope the 360 version turns out ok!

Errrrrr no.....
sorry my google english....

But I would not rule that in September or late 2014 Konami in that kind of fever of versions that have now (because by now lost the franchise Lord of Shadow, until they find a substitute) and well you know, get the money if they throw...

Would not surprise me to take the final edition of LOS in the Next Gen (it would be easy, just have to use the PC version .. I've seen the next gen games that look worse than los2 PC ..).

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
What he said is that the next gen consoles would overshadow the release of LoS2. And he's right.

LoS2 won't have a PS4/X1 version.

BTW Bergaron, what about MoFHD for PC? Do you know when they'll announce that (or at least has an idea of when)?

Offline Bergaron

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »
+2
Yes, until now, no Next Gen version (in the future.. who knows, Next Gen is a 700$ PC with a pretty case.)

Regarding the MoF on PC (steam) the only thing I know is that it's done. What are slowing as business tactic (Cox. ..) sell Xbox360 and PS3 versions and a few months after (before LOS2 PC) they put it on sale.

Why? People buy the PS3 or XBOX360 version, many will buy the new generation of consoles and leave the old consoles. So will want to have the collection of LOS. Where can have it? PC only for now, what will they do? re-purchase the PC version for 10 € (Konami put it raises to 14.99 but I think it is wrong, 9.90 is a fair price and was the first idea). What will happen then? you take out Platinum edition with all LOS and return to checkout.

You know, business ...

Atrocity is like putting on sale "Lords of Shadow collection" an embarrassment to me, because they are planning a version with LOS2 and leave on all platforms ... (but much later)

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »
If the delay will mean a stable framerate and improvements I am all for it. Also February is the month of my birthday so it works :D

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
Reason 4.) Nobody wants to release against CoD, and February is when people (hopefully) start financially recovering from December.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
"running at acceptable FPS rate"

If Mirror of Fate was any indication of what they deem acceptable, then I am a little worried.

Oh well. I'll wait for the PC version regardless anyway. At least on PC there won't be any frame rate issues.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Why February 2014?
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »
Reason 4.) Nobody wants to release against CoD, and February is when people (hopefully) start financially recovering from December.
I can agree with this point. Plus, delaying the game gives them more time to further test the game and squash any bugs they may find. I remember buying some games in the past that when they were released, there were so many bugs that they were virtually unplayable. So, the extra time could lead to a more polished final product (that is if they use the time wisely).
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
Even LOS1 has a few bugs when it was released, one of them not allowing you to save your game and has to be patched a few days later. I guess MS is also trying to be more careful this time.

Tags: