Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Brave Fencer Musashi  (Read 8338 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »

Its a game made by Squaresoft for PSX and have a Legend of Zelda feel, maybe because of the camera or the day/night transition. You begins with a sword but after you get a second one, you can get powers from any normal enemy by absorbing it with your sword (yeah, absorb them alive, but you need to press the button fast since thetry to resist) and these powers vary from machinegum, to stun, to falling asleep (some abilities are traps) and a lot more. After you receive elemental powers for your second sword, that is heavy and huge, these power also can be used in specific locations to reach new areas.

Brave Fencer Musashi-Ch1-The Journey Begins(Part1)

I think its one of these games ahead of his time with very creatives ideas, like you needing to sleep once in a while or you will become slower and weaker. When you sleep, time passes very fast, you can see things happening in real time while you sleep, like people or monsters walking faster, also monsters can attack you if you are sleeping, so its better to choose secure places or rest in a bed. They even have a maze where your only hope is following a dog that is scouting you :)

Brave Fencer Musashi OST : The Only Friend

You cam buy food and drinks on a shop and some of them reacts to time, like milk becoming spoiled and cheese becoming better (heals more HP). Some shops only open at certain days and time, also some events are use this time system too. Also they have a plenty of humor too, but not at all time, its pretty serious sometimes and people die for real in this game.

Someone else have played this game? What is your thoughts about it? If yes, this music without doubt will bring back some memories...

Brave Fencer Musashi music : Running from the Stone Head
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:16:49 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »
I played it back in the day, in a 14'' little TV. Despite the old 3D look, it was nice. I liked the characters and story, and princess Filette was cute (I don't recall her name exactly).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
I think its Fillet, since another villains have drink names and their base is named "Soda something" xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »
She was cute!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »
I cannot express how much I love this game. The music, the world, the gameplay, everything had a charm to it including the voice acting. It wasn't as good as Zelda but dammit it is one of the best Zelda clones out there. Shit I played this more than I played the FF8 demo that came with it and I got the game for the demo.

If only Square made a sequel, it would have been great but we'll never know.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
Yes, also how could you refuse a game with a mascot like that:

And a FF8 demo? Thanks to this game I've discovered Final Fantasy and the RPG-genre for the first time!

Deja-vu moment:
Its only me or Minkus seems to be very familiar to Rabites from Seiken Densetu/Mana series?
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/4974301/images/1245799108509.png
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:12:52 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I despise that "sequel" for PS2 too, I've seen a AMV on TV and thought this game would be awesome, only to be disappointed when I actually played it. It can even make me have some fun if I realy try hard to forget its meant to be a sequel.

They should a sequel or remake it.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »
+1
Ah yes, this game...
Anyone remember Steamwood?

...their base is named "Soda something" xD
It's Soda Fountain, BTW.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:54:14 PM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
How could I forget, even if at the time I didnt understood english, by the name you are talking about this tree that controls steam right? These valves made me angry so many times.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
Great game. Had potential to be a good franchise(Square's own LoZ-esque series), but the PS2 sequel killed it(oddly enough, that was around the time a lot of franchises were "killed" and Square was making way for priority focus on Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts). That and that was when Tetsuya Nomura was at his absolute worst(and was into his "heavy angled" characters). 

Really sucks, as yeah, I wouldn't have mind if the series became a mainstay. the first one is pretty whimsical and light-hearted. Probably wouldn't do well now considering there's this sense of "everything's gotta be mature and realistic" bravado in the community(Western gamers, in particular). I would actually align it with Goemon and the Little Ninja Brothers(from the MIA developer Culture Brain), very whimsical, light-hearted and comedic adventures with Asian lore applied to fantasy-based worlds. Personally speaking, I want more games like these!! It speaks to the kid in my heart(and quite frankly, I don't get tired of them).

BTW, the kingdoms were called the Allucaneet Kingdom(the good guys, with characters all named after food) and the Thirstquencher Empire(with characters named after drinks). Kinda cute. My favorite part still has to be the Vambee part(with the vampire-zombies that go walking around the town at night, and that creepy music that plays throughout the chapter).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:18:55 AM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »
Great game. Had potential to be a good franchise(Square's own LoZ-esque series), but the PS2 sequel killed it(oddly enough, that was around the time a lot of franchises were "killed" and Square was making way for priority focus on Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts). That and that was when Tetsuya Nomura was at his absolute worst(and was into his "heavy angled" characters). 

Really sucks, as yeah, I wouldn't have mind if the series became a mainstay. the first one is pretty whimsical and light-hearted. Probably wouldn't do well now considering there's this sense of "everything's gotta be mature and realistic" bravado in the community(Western gamers, in particular). I would actually align it with Goemon and the Little Ninja Brothers(from the MIA developer Culture Brain), very whimsical, light-hearted and comedic adventures with Asian lore applied to fantasy-based worlds. Personally speaking, I want more games like these!! It speaks to the kid in my heart(and quite frankly, I don't get tired of them).

BTW, the kingdoms were called the Allucaneet Kingdom(the good guys, with characters all named after food) and the Thirstquencher Empire(with characters named after drinks). Kinda cute. My favorite part still has to be the Vambee part(with the vampire-zombies that go walking around the town at night, and that creepy music that plays throughout the chapter).

Allucaneet and Thirstquencher have meanings? I only can find the word "thirst" in "Thirst"quencher. I've liked this chapter too, but when I first played it I needed to restart the game, since I was poisoned and dont knew how to cure this, thus thinking that I made something wrong. (I was a kid that dont knew english, playing with a character that was weak even after trying to sleep and use items was strange to me lol)

What you mean with "heavy angled"? Characters focused on a heavy metal look? xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 07:15:07 PM »
Allucaneet and Thirstquencher have meanings? I only can find the word "thirst" in "Thirst"quencher. I've liked this chapter too, but when I first played it I needed to restart the game, since I was poisoned and dont knew how to cure this, thus thinking that I made something wrong. (I was a kid that dont knew english, playing with a character that was weak even after trying to sleep and use items was strange to me lol)

What you mean with "heavy angled"? Characters focused on a heavy metal look? xD
Well, "Thristquencher" is basically "thirst quencher"(quenches your thirst). Allucaneet looks like it's pronounced "AloocaNEET", but it's pronounced(and inspired by) "All you can eat"  ;).

And by "angled" designs, I mean this:

Artistically, less soft and rounded curves, more sharp angled points. Anything that is normally rounded in design(ears, for example) have sharp angled points. His fingers a flat square tips. The only round things I can see off of his design are the buttons on his orange thing(I have no idea what the hell that article of clothing is, but it seems very much like something pointless that Nomura would add to his characters) and the top of his ponytail band(connecting his head to the ponytail itself). Everything else is very cut and sharp. That was around the time of Advent Children's release, and Dirge of Cerberus would come out a year later(and also carried the heavy angled style with the dreaded "hair prongs" Nomura gave Vincent). It's an artistic choice, but I never cared much for it(especially because the artistic continuity of FFVII was so different, it really stuck out like a contrast, even oddly enough, it's the same artist). Also, hair really is not meant to bend that way. It doesn't bend in sharp angles or prongs. Look at classic Vincent's hair:

Rounded natural curves, like how hair is supposed to be, moving with a flow. Now look at DoC Vincent:

How is that even possible. Hair would break off before it's contorted into that shape naturally. You can spear fish with that hair! ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:31:21 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 08:18:48 PM »
Hahahaha now I understand perfectly what you mean about "heavy angle", I agree with you in that, these guys would need a lot of gel for hair to do something like that. Also its funny to notice that Vincent have 3 belts in his arm, it seems that Nomura already had this belt fetish at that time xD

Thanks for pointing out that quencher is a word and that "all you can eat" thing, since otherwise I wouldnt notice this.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 06:55:17 AM »
Played it again these last days, this game aged really well since this is the first time in like 10 years that I play it I think and it still very fun. For some reason I found it to be much more easy, I dont know if its because its easier on a keyboard :-\

Some parts were a little challenging, but almost 80% of the game have been easy, also since now I can read english, it was very cool to know what is going on in the game, I've even talked with all villagers between tasks to see their reactions that changes constantly :)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~