Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
A true-to-form stage-by-stager would be swell. 😎

I've given up on any halfway decent Castlevania game being made. Just look to the indie devs—and to that end, Odallus: The Dark Call is as good a Castlevania or Demon's Crest as any. It's ancient at this point (9 years) but still a gold standard. Then there's newer fare like Demons of Asteborg, or something in between like the GnG-inspired Battle Princess Madelyn: Royal Edition (Switch-exclusive but possibly better than the original multiplatform version). Konami would just pawn off CV to another developer and end up with something mediocre like Cuntra: Operation Gallagher.
A true-to-form stage-by-stager would be swell. 😎
The dual touch screen indeed poses a problem, but if they were dedicated they would think of a solution. It’s not impossible.

If a Switch DS collection would happen, then they could include: Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin (the weakest of the IGA trilogy but it does have its moments of greatness), Order of Ecclesia, and maybe even Mirror of Fate. As a extra bonus they should include Adventure ReBirth. I skipped the last collection but I would be ALL OVER this if they make it happen.
M2 did the previous collections and made a System 16 version of Fantasy Zone II "just because." They also developed The Adventure ReBirth so clearly they have a lot of love for Castlevania. I'm sure they'd program a serviceable workaround for the mostly pointless touchscreen mechanics. If that's what these banal crossovers are leading up to, then Konami can keep whoring out the series—but the crossovers themselves do nothing for me. At least during the dire times of Lords of Shadow we still got new games. I'll take mediocre games over no games at this point.
Although I do agree with what others have said previously, about these constant CV DLCs and skins being placed over well-established franchise, and yes it can be a bit annoying, but also these are the content that’s technically keeping CV alive at this point. It hasn’t faded into obscurity because these developers are fans too & trying to keep the IP relevant by including them in these games.

Say what you will about these CV add-ons, but don’t forget for a while Konami was only interested in pumping out CV-themed pachislot vending machines. There are many, many other dead series that aren’t getting these homages/DLC content, and besides this forum there are a lot of people that enjoyed the Netflix show, so Castlevania continues to remain in the public conscious. We may even get a Nintendo DS collection for the Switch soon, which might be what all the “rumors” are alluding to.

I've been long hoping for the DS collection, but I'm afraid with the silly DS' dual screen and touch gimmicks its not going to happen, they'd need to work around it, which is way more tedious and time consuming than just making an emulator and dumping the roms inside with an interface, I'm afraid. Which is a shame because all three titles are among the best Vanias ever made. I sincerely hope I'm wrong tho because i want to replay those games on modern systems so badly.
Although I do agree with what others have said previously, about these constant CV DLCs and skins being placed over well-established franchise, and yes it can be a bit annoying, but also these are the content that’s technically keeping CV alive at this point. It hasn’t faded into obscurity because these developers are fans too & trying to keep the IP relevant by including them in these games.

Say what you will about these CV add-ons, but don’t forget for a while Konami was only interested in pumping out CV-themed pachislot vending machines. There are many, many other dead series that aren’t getting these homages/DLC content, and besides this forum there are a lot of people that enjoyed the Netflix show, so Castlevania continues to remain in the public conscious. We may even get a Nintendo DS collection for the Switch soon, which might be what all the “rumors” are alluding to.
I got the Castlevania Amiibos for Smash, but was disappointed they didn't actually unlock the characters to play as in the game.  It was too much work to unlock them for me.  I just wanted to play as Simon and Richter right away ><.  Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it, but it's been half a decade already ha.  I can enjoy Smash, but only dabble with it.
Off Topic / Re: AVGN 20 yrs CV speciale!
« Last post by VladOfWallachia on May 17, 2024, 07:33:58 AM »
If you compare this video with the original series review AVGN did a long time ago, it looks like he has lost all passion for what he is doing. This new video feels like he quickly put something together and phoned it in, while the original felt more like a genuine passion project.

SCIV has always been my favorite, and the free form controls (and 8 way whip) is part of the reason, but I also recognize that the entire game has to be structured around those mechanics, or the game will be unbalanced, like SCIV is. SCIV is my personal favorite, but I absolutely do not think simply adding 8 way whip into games that weren't designed for it is a reasonable thing to do. My favorite NES entry is the original Castlevania, I like it better than the often regarded superior CV3, mainly because I feel like the difficulty balance in CV1 is perfect... you have stiff, limited controls, but every challenge in the game (for the most part) is carefully designed around said limited controls.

I hope James AVGN can find a project he can be passionate about again. His original CV series review had roughly the same opinions, but the nerd's passion for the subject seemed genuine, and his personality came through much more strongly in that version than in this new version.

Fan Stuff / Re: "Castletoria" - In Development!
« Last post by Zuljaras on May 17, 2024, 12:21:45 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uhDMLm9jY

I tried to see if the build is playable on the Steam Deck :)
Off Topic / Re: AVGN 20 yrs CV speciale!
« Last post by Abnormal Freak on May 16, 2024, 01:43:43 PM »
It's kind of a smoothbrained position to say that other games should feature it. I love the multidirectional whip in CV4, but games like CV1 and ROB are so much more strategic and fun without it. Breaking game balance doesn't sound like a good time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10