Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Hate to flog a dead horse, but  (Read 10285 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »
+1
Not only was Sypha's character icon (in the status bar) feminine, so was her wounded SFX. Trevor says, "oop!" Grant says, "Oof." Alucard says, "Ungh." But Sypha has a much, much higher voice and says, "Ow!" No, I'm not making this up. I just spent the last 3 hours playing CV3 with no music -- just sound effects. Konami never tried to hide anything from anyone -- Sypha was a girl all along. It was just a really shitty localization and most of you were gender-confused little children. Sorry to break it to ya.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »
+1
Also when you try to take her with you the script reads to take "him" with you :D
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 01:56:46 AM »
+2
That wasn't so much a localization issue as much as a flaw in the code. That dialogue was the same for all three partners and would have taken much more modding of the original programming to allow Sypha to actually be referred to as "her" in that dialogue.

Also the cyclops very clearly has a preference for women, by the looks of the statues. Why Sypha was the one that got cured is beyond me. Would have been better if a statue turned into a delicious hooker.

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:59 AM »
+2
It looked like the other 2 were broke as shit & therefore technically dead I figured. *shrugs*

Let's use our imaginations & say Sypha was kind of a "Pretty Woman" type of story. A young, rebellious hooker who happens to be gifted in the dark arts wanders into the Cyclops' den thinking she'll get enough to get by for a few days ('cuz magical creatures is extra) & BAM! Turns out the Cyclops' fetish is stone ladies. Then Richard Gere, I mean Trevor happens by, saves her from the monster & her former life. Whilst fighting against the unimaginable horrors of the demon castle alongside each other they begin to rub off on one another & Sypha reveals her heart of gold to the valiant, straight laced Trevor. Grant gets a little fresh (he's the Jason Alexander of our story) after a misunderstanding between Trevor & Sypha, but gets put in his place by Trevor. After saving existence as we know it, they decide they're sweet on each other & Sypha's only gonna use her "sexy arts" on Trevor from now on. The end.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:30:48 PM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 04:13:34 AM »
+1
It looked like the other 2 were broke as shit & therefore technically dead I figured. *shrugs*

Let's use our imaginations & say Sypha was kind of a "Pretty Woman" type of story. A young, rebellious hooker who happens to be gifted in the dark arts wanders into the Cyclops' den thinking she'll get enough to get by for a few days ('cuz magical creatures is extra) & BAM! Turns out the Cyclops' fetish is stone ladies. Then Richard Gere, I mean Trevor happens by, saves her from the monster & her former life. Whilst fighting against the unimaginable horrors of the demon castle alongside each other they begin to rub off on each other & Sypha reveals her heart of gold to the valiant, straight laced Trevor. Grant gets a little fresh (he's the Jason Alexander of our story) after a misunderstanding between Trevor & Sypha, but gets put in his place by Trevor. After saving existence as we know it, they decide they're sweet on each other & Sypha's only gonna use her "sexy arts" on Trevor from now on. The end.

That is a story worth telling!
Richard Gere as Trevor, not bad. Hehehe.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »
Let's use our imaginations & say Sypha was kind of a "Pretty Woman" type of story. A young, rebellious hooker who happens to be gifted in the dark arts wanders into the Cyclops' den thinking she'll get enough to get by for a few days ('cuz magical creatures is extra) & BAM! Turns out the Cyclops' fetish is stone ladies. Then Richard Gere, I mean Trevor happens by, saves her from the monster & her former life. Whilst fighting against the unimaginable horrors of the demon castle alongside each other they begin to rub off on each other & Sypha reveals her heart of gold to the valiant, straight laced Trevor. Grant gets a little fresh (he's the Jason Alexander of our story) after a misunderstanding between Trevor & Sypha, but gets put in his place by Trevor. After saving existence as we know it, they decide they're sweet on each other & Sypha's only gonna use her "sexy arts" on Trevor from now on. The end.

The only thing bothering me about this story is Grant trying to put the moves on Sypha. It never happened in CV III and CV Judgement's take on that story was a very bad and sour joke. No offense to you Laina but love triangles (especially where there never was any) are the bane of poor story-telling and is a terrible Hollywood gimmick. Besides Grant has only one thing on his mind and it's not women. It's revenge.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »
Well, revenge and ruling Wallachia because he is after all the heir apparent.

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »
The only thing bothering me about this story is Grant trying to put the moves on Sypha. It never happened in CV III and CV Judgement's take on that story was a very bad and sour joke. No offense to you Laina but love triangles (especially where there never was any) are the bane of poor story-telling and is a terrible Hollywood gimmick. Besides Grant has only one thing on his mind and it's not women. It's revenge.

I hate love triangles too & was just looking for something to link the Jason Alexander character in. Wrote that whole paragraph in under 5 minutes. It was all an effort at trying to please TheouAegis with hookers. Were you delighted with my tale weaving?

Besides, X, how could I take offense at a critique of a thrown together off the top of my head joke story? lol 'Twas all for teh lulz, dear fellows. Though if it does bother anyone, we could just say Grant's actions were based on the curse placed upon him having some residual effects & he temporarily reverted back to that mentality, attacking Sypha & catching her off guard. Or whatevs, you guys build on it from here if you like it. Kinda like one of those writing exercises they had you do in grade school where one kid writes a paragraph of a story, passes it to the kid behind them so they can write the next paragraph, then they pass it on, so on & so forth.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:34:53 PM by Laina »
Groove is in the heart.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:36:38 PM »
Oh, okay. Never did an active writing course in school. kinda got self-taught through my latter years.

Were you delighted with my tale weaving?

The love-triangle threw me off reading the rest.  :-\
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
The love-triangle threw me off reading the rest.  :-\

lol I could tell. I was asking Theou if he liked the hooker with a heart of gold angle.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »
In a game like Judgment, you simply gotta have something to fight for.  I'm fine with one invented love triangle to fuel some of the battles. 

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
In a game like Judgment, you simply gotta have something to fight for.  I'm fine with one invented love triangle to fuel some of the battles. 

Except that it wasn't even necessary. Grant already had something to fight for. The people he knew (Family and friends) whom were butchered without remorse and the fact that Dracula cursed him and adding more humiliation to an already broken man, had Grant be one of his guardians and stuffed him atop the Clocktower. A woman would be the furthest thing from his mind. Trevor on the other hand was merely fulfilling his destiny by hunting down the dreaded king of vampires as his bloodline dictated. His emotions weren't raging with revenge as Grant's were. Therefore he and Sypha (whom had suffered a terrible life previously) would naturally drift towards one-another. The only Castlevania story that has had a love triangle since it's conception was Harmony of Dissonance. Liddy was the focus and the other two were Juste and Maxim. Fortunately this type of story was way more tolerable then anything I've seen come out of romance books or Hollywood to date. As for CVIII there was no love triangle and there doesn't ever need to be one in order to make it a great story, as it was already a great story.

Offline Laina

• RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:53:56 AM »
Except that it wasn't even necessary. Grant already had something to fight for. The people he knew (Family and friends) whom were butchered without remorse and the fact that Dracula cursed him and adding more humiliation to an already broken man, had Grant be one of his guardians and stuffed him atop the Clocktower. A woman would be the furthest thing from his mind. Trevor on the other hand was merely fulfilling his destiny by hunting down the dreaded king of vampires as his bloodline dictated. His emotions weren't raging with revenge as Grant's were. Therefore he and Sypha (whom had suffered a terrible life previously) would naturally drift towards one-another. The only Castlevania story that has had a love triangle since it's conception was Harmony of Dissonance. Liddy was the focus and the other two were Juste and Maxim. Fortunately this type of story was way more tolerable then anything I've seen come out of romance books or Hollywood to date. As for CVIII there was no love triangle and there doesn't ever need to be one in order to make it a great story, as it was already a great story.

Agreed, though I honestly didn't even care for the one HoD. I will, however, admit that it was slightly more tastefully done than most of that sort of mess I'd seen before.
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
That wasn't so much a localization issue as much as a flaw in the code. That dialogue was the same for all three partners and would have taken much more modding of the original programming to allow Sypha to actually be referred to as "her" in that dialogue.

(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:37:12 AM »
I fap to new-halfs.

There were ero-manga about that. Chun-Li had a ****, like Sakura. I think Lady Gaga-- I mean, Cammy had one too in that manga.

Tags: