Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: serious question...  (Read 10528 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
Sypha was a woman but was referred to as a man in the English instruction manual (as was Samus Aran as Phoenix noted) I'm not sure if this was the case in the original Japanese manual. Her identification as a man in the English manual at least led to the funny situation of Sypha being portrayed as an old man in an awful, awful episode of Captain N: The Game Master. But yes she is indeed Sypha of the Belnades/Fernandez family and ancestor of the post-Trevor Belmonts.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:24:59 PM by Ratty »

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 09:36:31 PM »
He, She were not used by the Japanese manual. Sypha is called Sypha. It had the intention which probably hides a secret.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
Considering how awkward it is to use he/she pronouns in Japanese, I don't think there was any intent to keep it a secret. Again, Sypha's art is female. Sypha's portrait if she's Trevor's ally is female. Sypha's voice is female. The only way Sypha could be confused for a male was if she was a new-half. So if you really want to push the "Sypha is a he" or "Sypha looks like a he" issue, then you have to go along with the premise that Sypha was a gay transvestite. Every serious gamer knows US instruction manuals are not canon except when the characters in the games are of US origin themselves  (e.g., Ninja Turtles, Mighty Max, Earthworm Jim, etc.).
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »
Her in-game partner pic was hardly indicative of gender unless the U.S. and Japanese versions were different.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 12:53:21 AM »
 Exactly, its like discovering the answer for a mistery and then saying "I always knew that, its obvious, it only took me some time because I wasnt even trying" xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: