Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 594199 times)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #1425 on: February 22, 2017, 03:36:56 AM »
I'm totally hooked on Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir.  It's so well improved over the original, and comparable to Dragon's Crown.  I figured it would drag on after I finished the first character story, but I can't wait to play more every day.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1426 on: February 22, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »
Been playing Dark Souls 3, an experience I can only describe as

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1427 on: February 22, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »
The PS1 version of Real Bout Garou Densetsu (Real Bout Fatal Fury). This port is about 85% of original arcade quality which is good, but missed one thing: The Shadow's Japanese voice in Geese Howard's mirror battle with his Shadow. The Shadow is mentally unstable and I think he wants to create another chaos in South Town.

Garou MOTW is on PSN now with online capability and extras
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #1428 on: February 22, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
Garou MOTW is on PSN now with online capability and extras

I heard it for quite a time. It makes me wonder what kind of extra this "new version/port" brings...

Graphic/music style wise, I prefer RB series more. MOTW is OK to me but it won't be my first preference for some reason.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1429 on: February 22, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »
I heard it for quite a time. It makes me wonder what kind of extra this "new version/port" brings...

Graphic/music style wise, I prefer RB series more. MOTW is OK to me but it won't be my first preference for some reason.

Standard stuff like online, leaderboards, tourny rooms, training mode etc.

I didn't mind RB Special, and I think KOF 98 and the last KOF prior to XII were my favourite. (not MI)

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #1430 on: February 23, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
DOUBLE DRAGON 4!  I LOVE IT!
finished the taletell Batman game (great)
pumping up my character stats in Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage (also great)
working my way through nightmare mode of Alice - Madness Returns (also also great)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1431 on: March 04, 2017, 10:46:59 PM »
Played through Ninja Gaiden on the NES last night. I was watching a playthrough of it on Youtube (Pat the NES Punk), and just got the urge to play it again. Tried the spin jump trick against the bosses for the first time, and it made me laugh out loud at how it just obliterates them. It makes Stage 6 pretty easy as a whole, too.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1432 on: March 05, 2017, 12:44:06 PM »
The Switch!! I got one friday and got Zelda of course and Snipperclip! Very impressed so far

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1433 on: March 06, 2017, 04:01:20 AM »
Yes! I finally beat Ghosts 'n Goblins! I played the arcade version on the Capcom Classics Collection. I've never been able to beat that game throughout the years, and I beat both loops just now. Finally!
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1434 on: March 07, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
After many false starts I have finally finished "Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption". The upside to this is I've now played through both of the VtM RPGs. The downside is that I've now played through both of the VtM RPGs. Redemption is OK but if it wasn't for the setting and lore it would hardly be worth playing today due to numerous problems. Mainly an annoying camera, a slightly annoying combat system and embarrassingly bad AI. I got through the 2nd half of the game using only my main character, creeping around corners out of sight of the baddies and abusing a few arguably overpowered spells. I'd cast firestorm and lightening on enemies and the enemies right next to them wouldn't even notice because I wasn't in line of sight.
I beat both forms of the last boss without hitting him or getting hit by him once, I just continually cast a freeze spell on him and let the rest of my party wail on him. I did this for every other boss after getting the freeze spell (a little less than halfway through the game) as well.

If you're only going to play one Vampire RPG, or if you're trying to pick which to play first, definitely make it "VtM: Bloodlines" instead. Which is a (flawed, due to developers not having enough time) masterpiece and easily in my top 5 games of all time.

Both of'em are heavily discounted on Gog right now though actually, https://www.gog.com/game/vampire_the_masquerade_bloodlines
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:23:13 PM by Ratty »

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1435 on: March 07, 2017, 09:45:04 PM »
Been playing a game called "Life". Highly addictive and recommended.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1436 on: March 08, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »
+1
Played a couple free PSN games I downloaded a while back to see if I want to keep them or not. Played Gone Home first...it seems like an extremely polarizing game, so I wanted to try it myself to see. Man, I really can't say whether or not I liked this one...it's just all over the place. I liked finding out more about Sam's story, it was pretty touching toward the end. But the story about the parents and the deceased uncle seemed to really go nowhere. This game seemed to bait-and-switch its spooky atmosphere, as well.

A few parts of the game I remember were seeing a fanzine that had "Smash the Patriarchy!" or something similar on it, and a magazine that said something about "subverting the male gaze" on the cover. I'm thinking to myself, great, here we go, time to get gender politics shoved down my throat. But thankfully that never happened...the game never really got preachy or political.

Tried out Apotheon next...it's interesting so far. Really digging the ancient Greece theme the game has going for it, although the combat feels a bit wonky sometimes: you're going to whiff a lot of weapon swings when you overlap your enemy. Fun overall, even if it's kind of easy.

I also played Super Ghouls N' Ghosts for shits and giggles. Just wanted to see if I could pass the first stage and didn't plan to play very long, since the game gives you limited continues. I didn't realize the game gives you additional continues for every set amount of money bags you pick up. So I ended up playing for a few hours and running out of continues just before the boss room of level 7. I sort of want to try again to see if I can beat it, but man, that game is not very fun to me. The stages are long, the auto-scrolling levels are annoying, boss fights are uninspired, and it lacks the presentation of the first game (music and levels didn't really feel "hellish" enough, I guess).

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1437 on: March 08, 2017, 01:18:49 AM »
Been playing a game called "Life". Highly addictive and recommended.

I've seen mixed reviews on that one. The graphics are supposed to be really good, but the whole outlandish plot twist with the evil businessman getting elected president sounds pretty immersion-breaking.

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1438 on: March 08, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »
I also played Super Ghouls N' Ghosts for shits and giggles. Just wanted to see if I could pass the first stage and didn't plan to play very long, since the game gives you limited continues. I didn't realize the game gives you additional continues for every set amount of money bags you pick up. So I ended up playing for a few hours and running out of continues just before the boss room of level 7.

I remember playing it on a friend's SNES and being confused by "why am I having so many continues?"  Well, that explains that at least.
Been playing some Guilty Gear XrdR, some BlazBlue Central Fiction and some Shock Troopers recently.  Got UMvC3, so hopefully gonna play more of that soon.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1439 on: March 10, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »
Played through Ninja Gaiden on the Master System. It's interesting...not as tough as the NES version, but not quite as enjoyable, either. Still a fairly well done game, though. I ended up maxing out the subweapon counter to 999, and it never dropped from there, no matter how many subweapons I used. I shudder to think of how tough the final boss would've been without infinite projectiles. Yeah that's right, I'm a scrub.  8)

Tags: