Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I attended Gary Yourofsky's lecture yesterday  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
I attended Gary Yourofsky's lecture yesterday
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
...And wow. Just wow. The guy is amazing. Some people say he's quite a vegan-nazi in his extreme speeches about the cruelty of the meat and dairy industry, and the way he is comparing the industry to a never-ending animal holocaust.
But damn, he's good. And convincing too. He explains how the things we take as granted are actually quite insane.
"In America, we have a holiday, it's called Thanksgiving. People's are taking a dead Turkey, and stuffing rice and such in its @$$hole. And then they're eating the stuffing out of its @$$hole. And they're saying vegans are weird."
Wow. The speech didn't turn me into a vegan, but it sure as hell made me feel bad about eating animal-products.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: I attended Gary Yourofsky's lecture yesterday
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »
"In America, we have a holiday, it's called Thanksgiving. People's are taking a dead Turkey, and stuffing rice and such in its @$$hole. And then they're eating the stuffing out of its @$$hole. And they're saying vegans are weird."

I wonder if he even remotely realizes that there is no more @$$hole in a Turkey when you buy it from the grocery store. That, and not all Turkeys are stuffed through that particular orifice.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
That is not exactly the point, X. What he was implying is that eating animal corpses, especially in the 21st century's first world doesn't make sense. Other things to consider about what he says, among others:

1) It makes no sense for adult humans to drink milk. Other then the suffering caused to cows in the process ("cows are raped, have their calfs taken away from, and have their tits pulled violently by machines for your milk") he also talked about the absurdity of adult people drinking liquid intended for babies ("and it's not even HUMAN milk, it's the milk of another specie") and about the amount of puss sucked out of wounded cow udders and mixed with our milk.

2) Eggs are coming out of a chicken's dirty hole, and it has only one hole ("You want to eat an egg? Sure, but how about dropping it in the toilet first? Same thing!")

3) I don't know if it's scientifically proven, but he's saying that many diseases of the modern man are caused by him eating meat, especially since it's genetically-modified and fed with various crap.

Anyway, I do wonder how many people here watched his lecture. He's very popular in America and on the internet.
You can find his lecture online on youtube. It's got some very harsh imagery, but like he said "If you have a problem watching it, perhaps you should reconsider your eating habits."

"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »
I was a vegetarian for several years (a very unhealthy one, since I have always gagged at the majority of leafy green vegetables and lived mostly on grains) and even then I knew a lot of the extremist vegan rhetoric was absurd. Do we eat too much meat in the US? Yes, obviously. But it's just as unnatural to eat no meat as too eat too much. And just as harmful for young people who need the protein to develop.

Fact is humans have evolved to be omnivorous, and no amount of wishful thinking can change the fact that our bodies function best when we have some animal products in our diet. The modern food industry has indeed allowed us to breed and kill a crazy amount of animals, and because all of the raising and killing work is done for us, out of sight and out of mind, most of us undoubtedly eat more meat than we would otherwise. I do worry about the long term effects of tons of growth hormones, and we all know about the disgusting practices which led to Mad Cow disease. But while cruelty does occur I don't think most farmers set out to be abusive, because usually that's bad for business. In most cases it makes for a bad product, and potentially devastating publicity. I'm personally hopeful that we'll be able to clone meat in the near future but until then the industry isn't going anywhere.

PS- Puss or no puss you can have my milk when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »
Ha!  For one week in January, me and my family are going on this diet to cut down on carbs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

Just meats, fruit and vegetables.  No pasta, pretzals, ice cream, cheese or milk.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:01:28 PM by Highwind Dragoon »

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:43:47 PM »
Who eats the shell of an egg?  :-\

And while he does have a point, it's not the chicken's anus -- it's the cloaca and thousands of animals have it, male and female alike. Everyone's favorite weirdo the platypus has one. Humans start with one then lose it as the fetus develops, just like how chickens are born with saurian tails which recede during embryonic growth.

But the fact still remains: Who eats the shell of an egg?

Does Gary ever mention that many fruits and vegetables are grown in human shit? And everyone knows cow shit is a popular source of fertilizer. Know what organic fertilizer is? SHIT! Gary's just trying to use scare tactics and gross factors. By the way, do you like rice? I'll let you guess how some rice farmers fertilize their crops.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »
The lecture snippet Mooning posted sounded pretty much like the summary version of a PETA vegan handout that I have.

I would rather advocate eating a balanced diet with meat, fruits, veggies and grains.
Diseases like obesity/adult onset diabetes/hypertension come from eating too much of one item.

Does Gary ever mention that many fruits and vegetables are grown in human shit? And everyone knows cow shit is a popular source of fertilizer. Know what organic fertilizer is? SHIT! Gary's just trying to use scare tactics and gross factors. By the way, do you like rice? I'll let you guess how some rice farmers fertilize their crops.

Yeah. I agree.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:48:09 AM »
I love meat.  I love the taste of all different kinds of cow muscle and chicken arms and ground up pig.  I love raw fish.  I'll never stop eating meat.  To quote Dennis Leary, I want to carve off what I want, and ride the rest home!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »

Snakes do  :)  Here's a fun fact. If you chew on an egg shell it'll help stop bad breath.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
1) It makes no sense for adult humans to drink milk. Other then the suffering caused to cows in the process ("cows are raped, have their calfs taken away from, and have their tits pulled violently by machines for your milk") he also talked about the absurdity of adult people drinking liquid intended for babies ("and it's not even HUMAN milk, it's the milk of another specie") and about the amount of puss sucked out of wounded cow udders and mixed with our milk.

2) Eggs are coming out of a chicken's dirty hole, and it has only one hole ("You want to eat an egg? Sure, but how about dropping it in the toilet first? Same thing!")

3) I don't know if it's scientifically proven, but he's saying that many diseases of the modern man are caused by him eating meat, especially since it's genetically-modified and fed with various crap.
Oh, dear. These are probably the worst pro-vegan arguments I've ever heard.

I think I'll have to watch that video just to see what other absurdities that man has to say...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:47:20 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 11:39:14 PM »
"In other words, they go in alive, against their will, and come out chopped out into hundreds of pieces. And you know what's more insane than that? Meat eaters. Walking around like their lifestyle isn't causing any harm. Like it's normal and natural to be consuming violence and death."

Yeah, some harsh words right here.
Best Speech You Will Ever Hear - Gary Yourofsky
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:44:51 PM by Mooning Freddy »
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
People used to put eggshells in coffee, as a way to keep the grounds from muddying up the rest of it when boiled in a kettle. Also I forgot to mention that chickens will lay eggs whether they've been fertilized or not, so any talk of chickens being "raped" for eggs is greatly exaggerated. Though certainly the chicken/egg industry is one of if not the most cruel and suspect today.

"Like it's normal and natural to be consuming violence and death."
Except that it is, and always has been, normal to consume violence and death. Even when I was a vegetarian (which was again a period of about 3 or 4 years) I knew this. Nature is as brutal as it is beautiful, death and violence happen every second of every day. More complex organisms feed on the less complex and so on up the foodchain. Unnecessary violence and killing is a terrible thing, but to say that in nature such things are not often necessary is absurd.

Certainly the modern mechanized meat industry is a bad thing almost any way you look at it. It's terribly inefficient to feed our ballooning population, it's bad for the environment and cruel to the animals. But it's never going to go away until we come up with something better to feed the world the meat they want and need. Which is why I advocate research in cloning food, until if/when we figure out some way to overcome the uncertainty principles in physics and replicate food Star Trek style. I respect people who want to go through life doing as little harm as possible, like the Jains. Some of whom wear masks so they don't accidentally swallow any bugs, and won't even eat fruit off a tree until it falls off on its own. But this guy is just being slimy and dishonest.

Also, the greatest speech ever performed was by Charlie Chaplin, at the end of 1940's "The Great Dictator".
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:23:12 PM by Ratty »

Tags: