Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Headcanon idea: Carmilla plotted Lisa's death  (Read 6699 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Headcanon idea: Carmilla plotted Lisa's death
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 07:02:26 AM »
+1
She was.

The myth and popular tale spun around Bathory by her political rivals (as is now believed: there has been little hard evidence that has come down to us that would corroborate that picture beyond the shadow of doubt) was a source of major inspiration for both Le Fanu and Stoker. No guessing why: it's just a compelling tale of a completely unrepentant monster, well suited for establishing an unredeemably evil foe that must be overcome.

That having been said, in most depictions, Carmilla is often treated a great deal more sympathetically than Dracula tends to be. Of course, that may have a lot to do with the fact that Le Fanu gives her more redeeming points -- she does genuinely seem to love Laura and while her actions that stem from this are not acceptable, they are at least understandable in that context. It's an obsessive stalker's kind of love, but it is definitely love; she values Laura's thoughts, opinions and her companionship, and becomes violent because she believes she stands to "lose" Laura forever. That's more than Bathory tends to get in most depictions, historically speaking, though that is now starting to change.

But yeah, the Bathory Legend was a huge inspiration on almost every single major vampire character produced during the 19th and 20th centuries, especially the latter. It's just too good a villain story to pass up.

Yeah... that was more like a yes or no kind of thing...  I don't know that it warranted a dissertation about how much you know about the subject.  Just some life advice, stuff like this is kind of off putting to most people, it's like you want them to think you're the smartest guy in the room.  Not every instance of something you like coming up is the appropriate venue to try and teach a class on it.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 07:48:28 AM »
+1
Yeah... that was more like a yes or no kind of thing...  I don't know that it warranted a dissertation about how much you know about the subject.  Just some life advice, stuff like this is kind of off putting to most people, it's like you want them to think you're the smartest guy in the room.  Not every instance of something you like coming up is the appropriate venue to try and teach a class on it.

but...you literally asked him after he already finished a similarly long-detailed explanation

I'm not very familiar with the novella, but wasn't it supposed to be at least partially inspired by Elizabeth Bathory?  If that is the case, then I could see that being where a good deal of where her characterization in Castlevania comes from.  Weren't her and Bartley supposed to be the same character originally, but translation or just designer ignorance mucked it up?

so why exactly would he have any reason to assume you wanted otherwise, considering you never stipulated you wanted a yes or no answer

you asked a known forum history/literature buff a question pertaining to historical events being transposed into works of fiction, and you're surprised at the type of answer you got? you'd already said you weren't very familiar with the novella and wanted to know how much of the character was inspired by bathory, so i'm rather sure he went to those lengths of explanation to try and break down the exact period contexts of each one to ensure you had a good chunk of necessary information to answer your curiosities more fully than a simple yes or no

dude was just trying to help out and do you a solid and honestly, i'd say the tone of your response was more unwarranted than the answer he gave
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:16:42 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
+1
Yeah I'm kinda with Drac9 here.

We all get verbose about subjects we're passionate about.
Don't shoot the dude down for it.  TL;DRs are for other sites.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags:

anything