Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Court ruling could hurt GameStop's used-game business  (Read 8296 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Court ruling could hurt GameStop's used-game business
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
Yeah, the case was over whether or not the guy had the right to resell the software. People are jumping to conclusions on how this will affect used game sales, but I guess it does have the potential to make them unlawful.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 09:47:21 PM »
Kale how tall are you??

This is an odd question... I'm 5'7" or 5'8" .. around that. Why?

I'm not sure why exactly Autodesk is involved with this.

Autodesk makes design/drafting/modeling tool programs.  They're mostly known for 3D Studio Max, and AutoCAD (Computer-Aided Design), as well as Autodesk Inventor... so I'm not sure why they're in this at all.

Afaik, Autodesk is involved because people are reselling their old versions of max, maya, etc. And they don't want that... obviously.
Yeah, the case was over whether or not the guy had the right to resell the software. People are jumping to conclusions on how this will affect used game sales, but I guess it does have the potential to make them unlawful.
This is a reasonable conclusion. It's a case about reselling of license to programs like maya, games, movies, etc. So if this goes through for autodesk, it would naturally hit games. Besides games has been the center of cases recently, can you see it skipping on this when companies are going crazy over these things?

Offline OmegaDL50

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
+1
But I'm sure there is a difference between the sales of used games which are priced anywhere from $5 to $45 and the original price range being $30 to $60 compared to those costly art studio programs the Pixar guys used such as Maya which carries a price tag of $3000 to $8000 depending on features or version.

I don't think someone could second-hand sell one of those old copies of Maya for even a fraction of the original retail price and probably get away with only pawning it off if their lucky for like $200 at the most.

Still the fact such a ruling could effect the sales of pre-owned games is a matter that concerns me a great deal.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 03:30:43 AM »

This is a reasonable conclusion. It's a case about reselling of license to programs like maya, games, movies, etc. So if this goes through for autodesk, it would naturally hit games. Besides games has been the center of cases recently, can you see it skipping on this when companies are going crazy over these things?

I honestly don't think that would happen, though. If you think of a place like GameStop, they make tons of money from used games, so an enforcement of this ruling could kill the chain eventually. But I don't think publishers would do this, because this would be a huge impact on their new game sales, not to mention all of the negative publicity they would get. They have to be making tons of money through GameStop with sales and pre-order sales of new games. I just seems to me that killing off used game sales completely would be suicide for publishers. Instead, I think they'll just keep nagging and preaching to consumers like they have been.

Not to say this ruling doesn't worry me, though. If used game sales would be outlawed, that would give publishers even less of an incentive to sell new games at a discounted price if they have been on the shelves for a long time. Less competition. Also, what would happen when a game finally gets removed from the shelves if it isn't also released digitally? Does this mean I can't buy the game, ever? I don't like the potential of this.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 08:13:17 AM »
I honestly don't think that would happen, though. If you think of a place like GameStop, they make tons of money from used games, so an enforcement of this ruling could kill the chain eventually. But I don't think publishers would do this, because this would be a huge impact on their new game sales, not to mention all of the negative publicity they would get. They have to be making tons of money through GameStop with sales and pre-order sales of new games. I just seems to me that killing off used game sales completely would be suicide for publishers. Instead, I think they'll just keep nagging and preaching to consumers like they have been.

Not to say this ruling doesn't worry me, though. If used game sales would be outlawed, that would give publishers even less of an incentive to sell new games at a discounted price if they have been on the shelves for a long time. Less competition. Also, what would happen when a game finally gets removed from the shelves if it isn't also released digitally? Does this mean I can't buy the game, ever? I don't like the potential of this.

I doubt most publisher would care if one retail store goes away. There are plenty of retails stores left to see their games. I think the impact on their new games sales would increase somewhat. Sure, people won't have much money (the sellers), but I doubt that'll stop people from buying the games they want. And yes, they wouldn't most likely be getting negative press, but press is press. I doubt anyone who ever said I won't buy from such and such again really did stop buying from that such and such.

I think too, that it'll eventually help them die (publishers) but I doubt they'll really look that far and using that pessimistic point of view.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 01:37:42 PM »
I doubt most publisher would care if one retail store goes away. There are plenty of retails stores left to see their games. I think the impact on their new games sales would increase somewhat. Sure, people won't have much money (the sellers), but I doubt that'll stop people from buying the games they want. And yes, they wouldn't most likely be getting negative press, but press is press. I doubt anyone who ever said I won't buy from such and such again really did stop buying from that such and such.

I think too, that it'll eventually help them die (publishers) but I doubt they'll really look that far and using that pessimistic point of view.

But also, GameStop is a huge retailer. Unless I'm mistaken, they also make the majority of their profits from new games and merchandise (although used sales are still a huge chunk). The deals they have with publishers for promotion, pre-orders, etc. seem to be pretty big...I mean GameStop is pretty much synonymous with the term "pre-order." You're right when you say that there are tons of stores that sell new games, and how most people would still buy games anyway. But I really believe that getting rid of used games entirely would reduce publishers' profits drastically (in the short term at the very least), especially if this killed GameStop completely. I wonder if this is a risk that these companies are willing to take.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »
I don't disagree that they're shooting themselves in the foot. Regardless of their projection on the idea. I doubt most would take it into consideration that they'll love that much in the times to come though. I mean, these are the same people who really think piracy is a lost sale, when it clearly isn't. They'll think the same of used games.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 08:37:48 AM »
I could understand this ruling if we were talking strictly about software that can be installed on a hard drive and run without the actual disc, but how many programs still do that?  If you can run a game without having the disc, and then turn around and sell the disc to somebody else so that they can do the same, then that's not fair to the company.  And back in the 80s and early 90s, that was pretty common for computer games.  But now that just about every piece of software requires the disc to run, there is no difference between selling a used game and selling used clothes or toys or whatever.  You never hear Nike or Levi's complaining that garage sales are hurting their business.

Offline Pentagram-cracker

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »
Man, this sucks! I can't live without my Gamestop.  :'(

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
I could understand this ruling if we were talking strictly about software that can be installed on a hard drive and run without the actual disc, but how many programs still do that?  If you can run a game without having the disc, and then turn around and sell the disc to somebody else so that they can do the same, then that's not fair to the company.  And back in the 80s and early 90s, that was pretty common for computer games.  But now that just about every piece of software requires the disc to run, there is no difference between selling a used game and selling used clothes or toys or whatever.  You never hear Nike or Levi's complaining that garage sales are hurting their business.

While that may be the case, I very much doubt it. Autodesk isn't butthurt that you can install and resell while still using their product. They're most likely butthurt because you can sell it off and buy the newer version. They want absolute profits, so you'll buy the new one while still having your old one that you won't ever touch again.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 10:27:45 AM »
Ah well. Maybe people can just throw games and software out when it sucks. Of course developers would bring this humiliation upon themselves when they do stuff like this. You'll have the ET effect all over again. Its almost as if they are setting themselves up to be screwed. Less people may not even bother to buy a game if it has no demo or no used copy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:30:14 AM by Johnny »

Tags:

anything