Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119257 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
Lotta threads like these, dunno that I've seen one for flicks.

Just got back from ParaNorman. Really fun flick, my kinda humor with one scene being pretty morbid and hilarious. Didn't expect something like that to be in a kid-friendly picture, but some young kids behind me were having a blast, so that makes me happy. :)

Other flicks watched over the weekend were The Raid, which was great for the first half but got less engaging (but still fun) for the latter; Red Tails, which was a lot better than expected (WANTED it to be good but was worried that with Lucas producing it'd be a shit sandwich, but it only had a few Lucasian moments which didn't do much to hamper the drama and exciting plane action); and attempted to rewatch The Matrix Reloaded for the first time in years but just couldn't do it. First movie's great from start to finish, but man, the sequels suck so hard with just a handful of cool action scenes. Wanted to rewatch them for those but not wanting to skip the stories since it's been a while, but I kept thinking, "Man, I really oughta just skip to the good parts." Horrible how the Wachowski Brothers ruined such a good thing.

So whatchoo mofoz been seein'?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:12:28 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
The last full movie I watched was "Tiger Love" a martial arts film that's mostly forgettable with only a few fight scenes, most lasting less than a minute. The opening features a couple in a Romeo and Juliet scenerio where the woman wants to run off with a guy but her dad wants her to marry her cousin.

So naturally the (apparently pregnant) woman jumps off a cliff, only to land on a tree top and urinate on a Tiger trying to get to her, which somehow turns the tiger friendly. The movie mostly focuses on the woman's son who grows up with her in the woods and learns Kung Fu by imitating "Uncle Tiger". The son is caught up in another Romeo and Juliet plot because his dad and mom's families haven't made up and he gets the hots for his cousin on his mom's side, and her cousin is jealous... basically this movie needs more banjo music. The Romeo & Juliet plot kinda fizzles out and the last 20 minutes are a horror story where the Tiger swears vengeance and takes the form of a ghost of an old lady to kill everyone on the mother's family side.

This movie is in the public domain so it's legally freely available on youtube and I assume archive.org. I randomly pulled it out of my 50 movie pack of public domain martial arts movies, at least 5 of which are actually blacksploitation but w/e. Protip: don't buy any of the mill creek public domain compilations unless, like me, your net connection is ungodly slow. Their prints and compression are often very bad, and in later iterations of the sets they started watermarking the movies.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:20:40 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
Doesn't sound good. I like a good martial arts flick, though. Haven't seen too many classic '60s/'70s films start to finish, but The Convict Killer is incredible.

THE CONVICT KILLER (1980) Trailer

First watched this ages ago with a buddy when it was a dub under the name Iron Chain Assassin. Loved it, and was pleased to find an uncut, subbed, widescreen Hong Kong-released DVD of the movie. Really nice disc.

Speakin'a martial arts, The Raid: Redemption has some pretty impressive stuff. Only trouble is I thought the movie got a little too focused on balls-out martial arts action that it got a bit tiring during the second half. Movie started out so strong with these policemen raiding the apartment complex of a criminal overlord, but things go bad and there was a lot of suspense and sweet gun action and some sparing but totally badass martial arts moves, and I was really concerned for the police getting out, but then it all kinda switches gears and becomes more about watching smoov moovs. It's cool to watch, but as a story, it was way less engaging to me than the first half since it completely got rid of that mood and turned into non-stop action. I've been finding that a bit of a recurring annoyance lately... Even with ParaNorman, which I loved, I found that the second half was a bit too actiony, preferring the lighthearted fun of the beginning more.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »
I've been finding that a bit of a recurring annoyance lately... Even with ParaNorman, which I loved, I found that the second half was a bit too actiony, preferring the lighthearted fun of the beginning more.

Yeah, I've had a bit of a similar experience with films for the last few years. Maybe it's partly because I've become a gamer but my attention span for passive entertainment ain't what it used to be. I find myself having to split up movies (even ones I really like) into tiny chunks or my mind starts to wonder at about the 30 minute mark. Whereas as a kid I could watch the even the worst schlock with rapt attention from start to finish. Speaking of which after a couple days I finished "The Guy with the Secret Kung Fu" just now, which was very enjoyable for what it was.

That does sound like a good film, when I'm in the mood for quality martial arts I have a couple Sonny Chiba boxsets I'm making my way through, though right now I think I'm in the mood for another genre, not sure what yet though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:28:13 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
There's just something about action that needs to be done the right way where it's not in-your-face. The first Back to the Future and Toy Story are movies that have edge-of-your-seat action toward the end of the movie, but it's so well-balanced that there's nothing that tires my brain or gets my mind to wanna wander off and think about other things. It becomes a struggle to stay focused on what's onscreen.

And I've seen those two movies A LOT since I was a kid, and I get the same nail-biting feeling every time. I think it's because there's action, but with it suspense. When it's balls-out, there's no dynamic.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
I watched this thing:

MST3K - Boggy Creek II (part 1)

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »
I watched v/h/s yesterday... very nice lil horror flick right up my alley. Watched Dead Season as well... pretty forgetable... kinda hot bodied lead chic tho

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »
Watched UHF yesterday, now there's a great childhood memory. I think in a lot of ways Weird Al was ahead of his time with this movie, though he did have actual jokes in with his references and parodies, something a lot of later "comedies" seem to have forgotten. The part with the poodles always bugged me though lol.
I think it was a cool little nod at the end of "The Cable Guy" to have Jim Carrey befriend (i.e. start stalking) the actor who was Weird Al's partner in this film.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:32:59 PM by Ratty »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »
Grand Turino if that is how it is spelt right.

Clint Eastwood is awesome

(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
Gran Torino is awesome. So's UHF. So's The Cable Guy.

Saw Titanic for the first time in full. Thought I'd hate it, but it was really good. Deserves a lot more credit than I ever gave it before.

Also watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which blew me away. Incredible flick. Kinda reminds me of Polanski's The Ghost Writer in its pacing and feel. Really slow-burn, intelligent movies.

Lastly, I just finished up Captain America: The First Avenger. Pretty darn good; now I'm looking forward to checking out Thor and The Avengers; hoping I'll be able to see the former before the latter hits Blu-ray. (Been renting from Redbox a lot lately.)

Tonight I think I'll pick up the prequel/remake/whatever for The Thing. The John Carpenter movie is my favorite horror film ever, and in a lot of ways this prequel pisses me off because judging by the trailer, it seems to retread a lot of the same material, and I think it's dumb to have to see what happened prior to the 1982 movie, because Carpenter's sets it up very well and gives ya all you need to know; but, since it exists and I can see it cheaply, I will. (Redbox' website shows there's a copy on my delivery route, so I'll use a 50 cents off coupon and reserve that shiznat.)

Besides, I heard it has some good effects, although I also heard the filmmakers wanted to use more practical effects than CGI than they eventually did, supposedly due to studio interference. That sucks, 'cos practical effects kick ass.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
My last movie was "The Avengers", pretty good, I even identified who is this person in the end.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »
Gran Torino is awesome. So's UHF. So's The Cable Guy.

Saw Titanic for the first time in full. Thought I'd hate it, but it was really good. Deserves a lot more credit than I ever gave it before.

Also watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which blew me away. Incredible flick. Kinda reminds me of Polanski's The Ghost Writer in its pacing and feel. Really slow-burn, intelligent movies.

Lastly, I just finished up Captain America: The First Avenger. Pretty darn good; now I'm looking forward to checking out Thor and The Avengers; hoping I'll be able to see the former before the latter hits Blu-ray. (Been renting from Redbox a lot lately.)

Tonight I think I'll pick up the prequel/remake/whatever for The Thing. The John Carpenter movie is my favorite horror film ever, and in a lot of ways this prequel pisses me off because judging by the trailer, it seems to retread a lot of the same material, and I think it's dumb to have to see what happened prior to the 1982 movie, because Carpenter's sets it up very well and gives ya all you need to know; but, since it exists and I can see it cheaply, I will. (Redbox' website shows there's a copy on my delivery route, so I'll use a 50 cents off coupon and reserve that shiznat.)

Besides, I heard it has some good effects, although I also heard the filmmakers wanted to use more practical effects than CGI than they eventually did, supposedly due to studio interference. That sucks, 'cos practical effects kick ass.

I just saw Captain America, Thor and Iron Man 2 for the first time a few weeks ago and by far Thor was my favorite. It's awesome, it's a fun movie that breaks from the angsty conventions of superhero origin movies. I probably would have liked Captain America more if I hadn't constantly been comparing it to Joe Johnston's previous big superhero movie The Rocketeer, one of my favorite films of all time. Kinda hard to avoid comparisons though when Rocketeer is obviously why Johnston got the Captain America job, they're both set in WW2, well Rocketeer is just prior to WW2.

Tip to anyone who hasn't seen The Rocketeer- don't watch any of the trailers or even read the back of the box before you see it, they're both basically spoilerbombs.
Do check out the terrific score by James Horner though, it tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the mood and atmosphere of the film.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:20:02 PM by Ratty »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
Watched "Premium Rush" last week.
It was actually a lot better than I thought it would be.  Dare I say it was 'great'.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 03:35:55 AM »
The Rocketeer was a childhood favorite. Just saw that Disney put out a Blu-ray of it and they didn't do their usual grain-scrubbing work, so it looks good judging by the screencaps and I'm gonna hafta get that soon. Didn't know the director of it and Captain America are the same, but yeah...familiar territory in a lot of ways.

I'm like...seriously obsessed with a well-done Blu-ray. Ones that keep the filmic look and don't have all sorts of compression and other visual manipulation. Charles Kaufman's Mother's Day (a.k.a. The Greatest Troma Flick There Ever Was) just got released on the format, and judging by the caps, it looks mind-blowing, much better than I had anticipated. Can't wait to get that one in my grubby mitts.

Just finished up a rewatch of Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, on Bloo-rayz for the first time. What a sick movie...and really entertaining. Easily Lloyd Kaufman's most severe in terms of gore.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
The Rocketeer was a childhood favorite. Just saw that Disney put out a Blu-ray of it and they didn't do their usual grain-scrubbing work, so it looks good judging by the screencaps and I'm gonna hafta get that soon. Didn't know the director of it and Captain America are the same, but yeah...familiar territory in a lot of ways.

Yeah I would hope so. The DVD transfer was notoriously bad, I seem to remember one review comparing it to someone bootleging an old home movie projected onto a bedsheet at a crooked angle lol. so it deserves a good Blu-Ray. Since I don't have a blu-ray player yet I've unfortunately had to stick to my VHS copy. This is an informative rant to link to when people complain about film grain in the format though why the guy chose to put 2 minutes of him making a burrito at the beginning I don't know.

Just watched The Howling IV and boy was it bad. Not the worst werewolf movie I've ever seen, but still terrible. Lame special effects ("Hey guys I know how to make a cheap werewolf transformation- let's melt the character then do a ripoff of that reforming scene from Hellraiser- only shittier!") mostly unamusing bad acting and a glacial pace with only one transformation and lame post-transformation werewolves.
The worst Werewolf award though would be a toss-up between The Howling VII: New Moon Rising and Werewolf (1996). I'd have to go easier on Werewolf though since it's a comedy goldmine. Meanwhile TH7:NMR is stretched out with barn-dance numbers (no really) an almost entirely amateur cast and a boring script following the further exploits of a character who died in The Howling V but is brought back with no explanation. Just because the actor who plays said character wrote, directed and "starred" in the TH7:NMR.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:55:31 PM by Ratty »

Tags:

anything