Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Reviews suck when they're about something you like  (Read 4858 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Reviews suck when they're about something you like
« on: September 11, 2012, 06:57:44 PM »
So I stumbled upon some site called Vizzed.com. I read a review of CV3 by some guy named Darkpower508. He gave it a high score of 9.2 (out of 10)! ... But he said in the game's plot:
Dracula's returned, and you, Trevor Belmont must defeat Dracula and rid his castle of evil.
Dracula didn't return (well according to IGA he did), this was his first appearance as far as the Classic Bemonts were concerned! Didn't he even read the intro?! Later in his review, he criticizes the game for what he said is a major flaw:
You can't use sub-weapons on stairs. I know, insane, isn't it?
Um. You can use subweapons on stairs. Trevor even has a specific sprite index value for that ($0565:24). So nice score, bad review.

Reviewer Marcmoney, aside from doing nothing but comparing it to CV2, criticized the story for, as he put it:
The story basically talks about what Dracula did in his life and how he took over countries in Europe and it is up to a person named Trevor (I think) to stop Dracula.  I do not get why they replaced Simon in this game, but it is a whole lot better than the second.  It just doesn't make sense.
What the hell? What's so hard to understand about an origins story? My god, Lament Of Innocence must have completely blasted his brain to smithereens!

Reviewer Dainesl01 said CV3 was flawed because of its "difficulty at later stages." Seriously? Bitch, please. I said Contra was flawed because it was too difficult in the beginning. One hit instakills you and 30 lives wasn't enough for me when I first played it. Games getting harder at later levels makes them flawed... wow.

Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
Re: Reviews suck when they're about something you like
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
I think it is just alucard who can't use sub items on stairs. Imho i remember you mentioned we got the stairs wrong in our game(it wasn't intended to be the same). In all honesty though it was so hard in the nes version, i fell off the stairs to my death so many times i cant' even remember. One thing i don't know how to do in our game is when they move from one room to the next to be on the stairs if there is a stairs. Yeah i'm still learning stuff. Hard right now to learn code when i'm building levels.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
Reviewer Dainesl01 said CV3 was flawed because of its "difficulty at later stages." Seriously? Bitch, please. I said Contra was flawed because it was too difficult in the beginning. One hit instakills you and 30 lives wasn't enough for me when I first played it. Games getting harder at later levels makes them flawed... wow.
He's right, everyone knows that a good game for today's standards must have all level with the same difficulty, the hard ones are DLCs.
Sarasm aside, he sucks.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 04:56:56 AM »
One thing i don't know how to do in our game is when they move from one room to the next to be on the stairs if there is a stairs. Yeah i'm still learning stuff.

Konami's method wasn't too far off from door transitions. You just check when the player is past a certain y-coordinate in the room, check if he's using his stair climbing sprite, tell the game where to put the player in the next room (all variables are global on the NES, so this was easier for them to do), then in the next room check the player's sprite and have him climb up or down the stairs a couple steps when the room starts. In my engine (at least for now), I assign variables to a stair border object. When Trevor collides with the stair border object, he's transferred to the room specified by the stair border object. In the next room, it checks if Trevor's climbing stairs, then finds the stair border object in the room that has the same value as the previous room and places Trevor there.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags:

anything