Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania III is pretty hardcore. Anyone else think so?  (Read 15898 times)

Offline TormentedBelmont

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Castlevania III is pretty hardcore. Anyone else think so?
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
I just recently played Castlevania III. I am embarrased to say that I couldn't beat this in one sitting (I tries most all day) and will have to try and make my way up the damn waterfall level once again, for the billionth time. I'm not playing a rom, so no save states, I'm not using a walkthrough. Anyone else find or found this one tough?

Also, I think these Castlevania inspired Haikus are pretty appropriate:
http://thedarkopera.weebly.com/castlevania-iii-haiku.html

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania III is pretty hardcore. Anyone else think so?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
+1
EDIT:  Whoops, double post.  Stupid glitchy forum.  :(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:40:58 AM by PFG9000 »

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »
+1
Nice haikus.  I got a kick out of this one:

Ten minute level

Now finally completed.

Seven hours later

CV3 is among the more difficult CVs, but I've never found it unbearably frustrating.  I actually have more trouble with Dracula XX, CV Adventure, Haunted Castle, and Vampire Killer MSX than with CV3.  I'd even go so far as to say the last two levels of the original CV are harder than anything in CV3.  I've never played all the way through CV3 in one sitting, but I've come close, twice.  I played it through up to the last level, and once up to Dracula, and just got sick of playing.  (Sounds like a cop-out, I know, but I've beaten CV3 at least 15 times, so I didn't feel the need to prove a point.)  I've been craving some CV3 lately, so I'll definitely hook up the NES and have a go at it again one of these days.

Offline TormentedBelmont

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
I don't think I've tried any of the ones you've mentioned. Most of my experience comes from the handheld systems and the new CV for PS3. I've played the old school ones in the past but never really commited. I definitly heard some interesting things about haunted castle and CVI is probably next on my list to try. I do like a challenge. It sounds like there's more ahead. good times.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »
+1
Which systems do you have access to?  Obviously you've got an NES, so give CV1 a try ASAP.  It's much shorter than CV3.  Once you know what you're doing, the whole game can be beaten in less than 30 minutes.  If you have any way to play Super CV4, that should be very high on your list too.  It's one of the easiest oldschool CVs, and (in my opinion) the very best.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
+1
Which systems do you have access to?  Obviously you've got an NES, so give CV1 a try ASAP.  It's much shorter than CV3.  Once you know what you're doing, the whole game can be beaten in less than 30 minutes.  If you have any way to play Super CV4, that should be very high on your list too.  It's one of the easiest oldschool CVs, and (in my opinion) the very best.

Castlevania 4 is a masterpiece. It's my personal favorite for its soundtrack, atmosphere, solid gameplay and stage design, and just the overall creepy and exciting experience.

More on topic though, I've personally yet to beat Castlevania 3 because of the last stage. It's a tough game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not beating it in one sitting. That's why it has a password system. It's a fairly long(for NES), difficult game.
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:01:16 AM »
+1
CV3 is tough but it's an enjoyable kind of tough, unlike some games where you feel like everything's stacked against you but in a bad way. I also love that you can't see the entire game in one play through. There are so many levels and the branching paths thing was one of the coolest things Konami brought to the series.

But much like any Classicvania, the name of the game is figuring out exactly what to do where. Once you figure all that out, the games become simple.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:14:41 AM »
I only completed this game once and broke keyboard because of it. I didn't have save states and couldn't change key settings.
Since that time I (undeservedly) hate this game. 

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »
I can't tell you how many times I've beaten CVIII. But yeah, it is one of THE more harder CV games to conquer. It's like playing CVI except CVIII vastly improves on the old formula. Such as extra playable characters, more and longer levels, great music and branching paths. You said you were stuck at the waterfall stage? This sounds like the second-last stage in Dracula's castle i.e. the Doppelganger's stage. Yea... That level had me in a bad mood for a long time. I feel your pain. Be warned however. Fighting the Doppelganger will be another trial in itself.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crimsonmist

• the fate of a fallen hunter
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
one of my favorite nes games and my pick for one of the best games in the series. sure, it's pretty challenging to beat the game, with multiple paths and three partners to choose from (or you can keep going alone for extra fun  :) ), but i haven't had much trouble with the first few levels since the last several times i played it. nevertheless i have to agree that cv3 is hardcore since it's such a challenging game in the series.
GAME OVER

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »
+1
Yeah cv 1 was harder but not by much. I thought the cv3 was very difficult and never beat it as a kid same with cv1. I had to go back years later and beat them. CV2 was much easier, but opened a new door for the cv series. I kinda think it may have been the start to what introduced sotn and ds type metroidvania style games. Either way cv3 is an awesome game. I remember the first day i got the game and brought it to my buddy's house to play. I had no idea you could unlock other players and i was  like holy...$%?#. Yeah it was new for me then and awesome. About the only thing now i can say about it is that they shouldn't have put in all the same bosses over and over again, but i realize too 8 bit cartridge games were limited. And to think i have almost completed a set of 16 bit aniamtions for all characters in the game exept trevor which was basically done by konami anyways. I'm debating what the hell to do with them, maybe they can be eye candy on the forum. Still i'm unsure. Either way cv3 yes it was a difficult game. I used to die at the doppleganger all the time,until i found a glitch in the game. I don't mean the one were you cheat like in mega man at the rock monster and hit select or in this case start on and off. If you stand on a certain area of a block on a ledge the doppleganger will jump at you, miss the ledge and not swing because he did not reach you. you can just stand their all day and wack the crap out of him. I don't know if i'm the only one who found that one out. I'm sure their are other cool glitches too.  Ever notice the glitch where alucard's 3 way shot becomes a 2 way shot again. Well anyways..... yeah this was an awesome game for sure, same with cv1 and cv2.

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline TormentedBelmont

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »
CVI is probably next on my list of games, followed by CV4... I can't believe I missed that game completly while growing up. I've heard so many good things.

CVIII's path system is excellent... am lovin the ability to pick extra players. don't know if I made the right choice with ol grant though...

Music in this one is pretty good. All around pretty impressed.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »
+1
Castlevania III is the best game in the entire series IMO.  A perfect blend of challenge, freedom of choice and awesome music creates a true classic with loads of replay value.   I love how this game keeps you on your toes with the pin point platforming and tense boss fights.  It seems almost unfair at first but once you learn the enemy patterns and are able to conquer them easily you won't find a more rewarding experience in gaming.  I would definitely classify CV III as "Hardcore".  It certainly has earned that label.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 03:10:56 PM »
+1
CV3 is good. But I think it's far from the best linear action style Castlevania.

In my opinion Castlevania 4 is the true masterpiece of the series. CV 3 is great but it's my least favorite of the NES titles. Something just seems off about it. Perhaps it's the multiple playable characters that dilutes the sense of character motivation.

I think one of the best undermentioned CV's is Bloodlines. I wisg my genesis still worked...

The worst monsters are human.

Offline GypsyGrifter

• SUPER KAWAII DESU~
    • Me Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 12:26:17 AM »
Oh Castlevania III! I have a love hate relationship with it. I love the game, but I don't think ANY game has ever made me rage more in my life. I've...... never even come close to beating it..... How do I put this.... It's hard for me to beat the clock tower stage where you get Grant, I can spend all day on that. It's, in my opinion, not as good as CV1, but that's probably mostly because of nostalgia, as I never played CV3 until recently, and have been playing CV1 most my life. It is better than CV2 though. I don't hate CV2, but it's a bad game. It is an NES game though, so I can't critique it too much.

As for CV4..... I don't know what it is, but I find it boring. all the freedom you get, with the whipping in all directions, and controlling your jumps, it just makes the game a bit too easy, so I usually get bored at around stage 4-2 or so. I mean, in Castlevania 1, I can play for like 6 hours straight, get any amount of game overs, and keep going, but with this one, I make it to stage 4 or so, have gotten only about 5-6 game overs, and I just turn it off because I'm bored. Maybe I'm missing something? The musics awesome, and it's fun at first, but... it just gets boring. But that's just my opinion, you guys feel free to love the game.
Stuff.