Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Comic Books  (Read 20316 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: December 31, 2012, 02:27:53 AM »
I've recently started getting back into this hobby, remembering how much I love sequential media (abortions like "The Belmont Legacy" aside) and was wondering if there are any other fans in the dungeon? If so, what are your favorites?

Right now I'm wondering if DC's "New 52" is worth checking out, or if I should abandon current age DC altogether. I hate the concept of Batman Inc. so, so much. But then some titles like Justice League Dark and maybe the new Green Arrow sound interesting.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »
Whoops I am sleepy lol

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:57:44 AM »
More of a Marvel fanatic here, grew up on Spidey and the X-Men. But when I got into my teens my bro turned me onto stuff from 2000AD, DC Vertigo, and I also got into Spawn as well (though not so much). Sandman and Watchmen blew my mind back in the 90's.
Still a massive comic book dude.... collected all of the Ultimate Marvel series up to the present arcs, which vary but are mostly good - also into stuff like The Walking Dead, Crossed, Hellblazer, Brian K Vaughan's stuff (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, Runaways, Saga), Fables, DMZ.... lot of different titles.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:00:12 AM by Nail_Bombed »
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
I got several different Comic compilations from various companies. I've got Marvel's Maximum Carnage compilation and still keeping an eye out for compilation book two of the Death and Return of Superman as I already have 1 and 3. I also have the Start Trek compilation of who killed captain Kirk.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »
I was a pretty adamant Marvel fan when I was younger. If I could narrow my interests down to a specific series though, it would either be Uncanny X-Men or Immortal Iron Fist.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
I got several different Comic compilations from various companies. I've got Marvel's Maximum Carnage compilation and still keeping an eye out for compilation book two of the Death and Return of Superman as I already have 1 and 3. I also have the Start Trek compilation of who killed captain Kirk.

If you like star trek there is a collection of most of the star trek comics ever produced on a single cd http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Complete-Comic-Collection/dp/B001B5KYR2 unfortunately the PDF format that most are presented in can be a bit distracting to read.

More of a Marvel fanatic here, grew up on Spidey and the X-Men. But when I got into my teens my bro turned me onto stuff from 2000AD, DC Vertigo, and I also got into Spawn as well (though not so much). Sandman and Watchmen blew my mind back in the 90's.
Still a massive comic book dude.... collected all of the Ultimate Marvel series up to the present arcs, which vary but are mostly good - also into stuff like The Walking Dead, Crossed, Hellblazer, Brian K Vaughan's stuff (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina, Runaways, Saga), Fables, DMZ.... lot of different titles.
Yeah as I get older I find I'm more attracted to Marvel, which I never would have expected as a kid. I think social awareness (and Damian Wayne/Batman Inc.) has dulled my ability to enjoy Batman somewhat, and without Batman the DC universe is a lot less interesting.

Yeah trade paperbacks are great, I go for those on miniseries when I can most of the time. Been reading a lot of the marvel "Essentials" volumes lately, lots of silver and bronze age comics at a good price, though unfortunately they're reproduced in black and white which just doesn't work for some titles.

I was a pretty adamant Marvel fan when I was younger. If I could narrow my interests down to a specific series though, it would either be Uncanny X-Men or Immortal Iron Fist.

Iron Fist has a pretty loyal cult following but I really don't know anything about the character, I guess his best chance for getting more recognition will be to show up as a result of an eventual Luke Cage/Powerman movie, whenever that happens. I'm a little apprehensive about my favorite marvel hero Doctor Strange showing up in a film soon as confirmed by Stan Lee, though rumor has it Viggo Mortenson might possibly portray him which gives some hope. I think Mortenson could really bring the silently tortured but contemplative ethos needed for the character without dumbing him down.
But as for Hero's For Hire... the bit of Powerman stuff I have read impressed me, though it was obviously written by middle aged white dudes trying to understand young black culture in the 70s, but at least they were trying and made him an actual character instead of just a stereotype, which is more than I can say for some writers... http://www.cracked.com/article_18502_the-5-most-unintentionally-offensive-comic-book-characters.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:31:36 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »
There has been talk of an Iron Fist movie; I can only imagine he'll end up talking to Bruce Lee's jedi ghost or something.

I dread.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
+1
There has been talk of an Iron Fist movie; I can only imagine he'll end up talking to Bruce Lee's jedi ghost or something.

You mean like this?
No Retreat, No Surrender (1985) Trailer
(Why yes, that is Jean-Claude Van Damme in what appears to be a small, poorly lit high school gym trying to pass for an arena.)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:33:18 AM »
I've always thought superheroes were retarded with the exception of Batman whom I don't exactly consider one since he has no superpowers. He's just a brilliant minded vigilante detective...who plays dressup.

I did enjoy some '90s superhero shows though, like Superman, X-Men, and Spider-Man. Still find superheroes ridiculous, and both Marvel and DC have their fair share of really stupid heroes (Green Lantern? Fantastic Four?). It bugs me that superheroes are the dominant form of American comic books to the point where practically nothing else exists or sells well.

But Batman is my shit and I love Frank Miller's rendition (yes, including Strikes Again, but maybe not so much All-Star) so yeah.

My main comic love is TMNT, primarily the Mirage/Image continuity (although Laird officially retconned the Image line, the dickbeater), but the Archie and current IDW lines are really cool, too.

Currently reading my brother's books for Berserk. Really insane so far; tons of originality in the story and art (even if there's a lot of inspiration from and you've-gotta-be-shitting-me homages to western movies). Really loving it to bits, probably gonna pick up the Old Boy manga when I'm through.

Got too many books I was reading but put down and haven't resumed. Preacher, Spawn, Usagi Yojimbo, Kirby's Fourth World, From Hell, Watchmen, Tales from the Crypt, Uncle Scrooge... I stopped reading comics for like a year and really gotta get back to it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:40:38 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »
I've always thought superheroes were retarded with the exception of Batman whom I don't exactly consider one since he has no superpowers. He's just a brilliant minded vigilante detective...who plays dressup.

I did enjoy some '90s superhero shows though, like Superman, X-Men, and Spider-Man. Still find superheroes ridiculous, and both Marvel and DC have their fair share of really stupid heroes (Green Lantern? Fantastic Four?). It bugs me that superheroes are the dominant form of American comic books to the point where practically nothing else exists or sells well.

If you can get past the stupid gimmick of this blogger, they ask some really good questions about why he's so popular. http://badassdigest.com/2011/12/21/film-crit-hulk-smash-what-the-f-is-it-about-batman/ It's fascinating and sad. And reconfirms my statement that my ability to enjoy Batman has been ruined by my ability to self evaluate and think critically, though Adam West's version (the one I saw as a toddler) will always hold a special spot in my heart.

Superheroes, whether they're Mr. Fantastic or Batman are escapist literature, you can take'em or leave. But we both know the reason they're so dominant to the comics landscape in America is that they're basically all that was left after the 50s "Seduction of the Innocent" witch hunt which resulted in the comics code authority. Sure westerns, romance and funny animals limped on for a while but they were all neutered by the strict guidelines of censorship. Until the guidelines loosened in the 70s, followed by and the copper age black and white indie boom. Three steps forward which were sent two steps back by the implosion of the speculator bubble in the 90s.

(yes, including Strikes Again
I think I just threw up a little. :P

My main comic love is TMNT, primarily the Mirage/Image continuity (although Laird officially retconned the Image line, the dickbeater), but the Archie and current IDW lines are really cool, too.

I don't think Laird is involved with the turtles comics in any capacity is he now?

Currently reading my brother's books for Berserk. Really insane so far; tons of originality in the story and art (even if there's a lot of inspiration from and you've-gotta-be-shitting-me homages to western movies). Really loving it to bits, probably gonna pick up the Old Boy manga when I'm through.

Berserk is one of the most deep and powerful pieces of literature/art I have ever experienced in any medium. Though it is easy to be fooled in the early stories into thinking it'll be dark action schlock, you really need to read all of the Golden Age arc to get a full appreciation of it. The creator intentionally has tried to create a western style mythos by the way, western fantasy movies being one influence. For example the look of Guts is based on Rutger Hauer.
Flesh+Blood (1985) - Trailer
Though much bigger influences were the manga/anime series "Devilman" and the "Guin Saga" which is a 130 novel long series which only really ended because the author passed away, I shit you not.

Got too many books I was reading but put down and haven't resumed. Preacher, Spawn, Usagi Yojimbo, Kirby's Fourth World, From Hell, Watchmen, Tales from the Crypt, Uncle Scrooge... I stopped reading comics for like a year and really gotta get back to it.
Lot of good books in that list, gotta love Usagi Yojimbo. Though a lot of the old EC comics (especially the horror ones) are kind of one-note and cheesy from the perspective of the modern reader. And I absolutely hate the recoloring job they did for the hardcover line of reprints. Looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on the Carl Barks Donald Duck reprints from Fantagraphics one of these days though, Fantagraphics always does a terrific job.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:30:44 AM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 02:45:28 AM »
Holy balls that Hulk dude's post was difficult to read. Constant all-caps breaks my eyes. I trudged along, though.

I disagree that "cool" factor isn't enough to fully like something. SUDA51 has made an entire career on "cool." Sure, there's some interesting themes and storytelling in killer7, but most of his games are just...cool...and weird...but most definitely cool. Kevin Eastman comics are the same way: lots of guts, swearing, and nudity because it's cooooool.

That said, apart from Bman being cool, I love his behavior. Antisocial, yes. Potentially sociopathic, yes. Indulging in negative emotions, certainly. He's a brooding bastard and we love 'im for it; we love seeing him bust up the bad guys but still feel depressed and hopeless. He's the ultimate manchild. It's why in Timm's universe (mirroring Miller's) he goes from being this noble hero in Batman: TAS to a miserable cunt in Batman Beyond. It's as if his fervor isn't really...doing...anything, but destroying himself and making others hate him.

I don't think Laird is involved with the turtles comics in any capacity is he now?

Nope, signed it all away, but during his reign he decided that the Image series sucked and so when he started TMNT Volume 4, he disregarded all that had happened—although there is a semi-official fan comic coming out that will bridge the gap between Vols. 3 and 4, making the events in Vol. 3 canon and explaining how it could possibly go from one to the next.

But Laird does retain rights to publish a handful of TMNT stories a year of his own continuity, but he has yet to do anything with that privilege, even though he's sitting on two completed/unpublished issues.

The creator intentionally has tried to create a western style mythos by the way, western fantasy movies being one influence. For example the look of Guts is based on Rutger Hauer.

Which is partly why I'm really digging it. Not surprised to hear Guts was modeled after Hauer; I was getting a serious Flesh+Blood vibe from the comic (an incubus being born from the blood and spooge of those who died violently with intense hatred in their heart or whatever—reminded me of the mandrake scene from that movie) and the phrase "flesh and blood" is even used prominently—in the English translation, anyway.

Love how much the God Hand remind me of the Cenobites but...creepier.

Though a lot of the old EC comics (especially the horror ones) are kind of one-note and cheesy from the perspective of the modern reader. And I absolutely hate the recoloring job they did for the hardcover line of reprints.

I love their horror stories because they're pretty clever and comical. The writing's not as smart as The Twilight Zone, but it's some serious fun and the art is always phenomenal.

The recolorings ain't so bad in my book. Most of the time they seem to stick to the original color schemes as closely as possible:
(click to show/hide)

And when they do veer off the beaten path, it's not as if they do a bad job:
(click to show/hide)

I disliked the idea of the recolor jobs until I bought some of the EC Annual books and compared side-by-side and realized, "This isn't so bad." That and the lineart looks a hell of a lot better on the EC Archives reprints.

Looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on the Carl Barks Donald Duck reprints from Fantagraphics one of these days though, Fantagraphics always does a terrific job.

The Scrooge book I have is a beaut'. Definitely wanting to get more Scrooge and Donald books.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:48:41 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Successor The Cruel

• In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might...
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Beware my Power! Green Lantern's Light!
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Chapel of Resonance
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 03:07:49 AM »
Huge Green Lantern fan, here.

I love the concept of a corps of space police that are overseen by incredibly ancient and powerful aliens. Also, the power ring and power battery are really cool. It's a shame the execution of such brilliant concepts is pretty damn bad sometimes (see: the Green Lantern movie).

I currently read Green Lantern Corps, which features John Stewart (Green Lantern IV) and Guy Gardner (Green Lantern III). The regular Green Lantern title, which features Hal Jordan (Green Lantern II) and Sinestro doesn't interest me. I really don't like the writer of it, Geoff Johns, and I don't like the way he writes Hal Jordan.

My favorite comic book series is Green Lantern: Mosaic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern:_Mosaic

It is weird and incredibly interesting. It was so strange and different that it got cancelled despite selling really well, because the executives at DC just didn't like it. It definitely isn't your regular super hero fair. It's very deeply psychological and philosophical. I often run into people who feel it is the best Green Lantern story, but DC still hasn't put it in a trade paperback. Thankfully, it's very easy to find for cheap on eBay, which is how I got it : )

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »
As a kid I liked marvel more than dc now it's sort of the other way around as for comics I do not get as much I am more of a manga guy, but when I do I get graphic novels like DC's Trinity, or superman/batman public enimies, or specials like when ted kord got killed by that one guy. I did collect the knightfall comics but I could never find the one where bane breaks batmans back also as a present many years ago I recieved some indiana jones comics.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:52:58 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Weiss Belmont

• The Power of Legend
  • Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 10:28:21 PM »
I'm just getting back into comics after being out of the game for about a decade. I'm currently checking out DC's New 52, more specifically Superboy and Teen Titans. Neither of which has let me down yet. I haven't checked out Superman or Batman though as given how extensively I know those characters I'm looking to branch off into some lesser known titles. With that said I'm also reading Scarlet Spider, and Spider-Man Noir on the Marvel side of things.

I was a huge Spawn fan when I was a child but having missed over ten years of the stuff I just decided to dive into Spawn: Endgame which is the death-nail for Al Simmons, before moving onto Spawn: New Beginnings which introduces a new main character.

Thanks to The Darkness (the PS3 take) I've gotten very interested in Top Cow so I'm currently reading The Darkness, as well as The Artifacts.

Tags:

anything