Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Original Castlevania hack "Michael's Mod"  (Read 11809 times)

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
  • Just before the throne...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (PS3/X360)
Original Castlevania hack "Michael's Mod"
« on: March 10, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »
I recently completed a hack for the original NES Castlevania, and I would like to share it with the world. Anybody who enjoyed the original will enjoy this one. Every stage is different, but resembles the original in some way. It's more difficult than the original in my opinion, even though the damage ratio is reduced. There are a lot of small secret areas, and all of the secret items, like the crown and the treasure chest, are all in their original places and are activated the same way, but sometimes you have to reach them a different way. Here's some screenshots and a dl for the ips file. If you need a rom or emulator, you're on your own, Sorry.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: Original Castlevania hack "Michael's Mod"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:17:58 AM »
Looks like some interesting layouts. You should submit this to ROMhacking.net
"Stuff and things."

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:13 AM »
I may do that.

Offline MathUser

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »
The romhacking.net hack pages keep track of downloads so you can see how many people download your hack. Plus, the hack will be more widely available.

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »
I'll have it on www.romhacking.net as soon as possible. I registered there and I'm still waiting for an acceptance email. Here's some more screenshots though if you want something to look at.

Offline MathUser

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:15:26 AM »
I don't see anything in the queue yet so you must have not submitted it yet. http://www.romhacking.net/submitfiles/QueueStatus/

Make sure you submit png format for the pics tho, otherwise it'll probably be rejected.

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
Alright guys, I got my romhacking.net account set up and I'm posting my game there. I also realized I never posted a readme, so here's that if you wanna read it. Sorry for spreading out my stuff so much. I hope you guys enjoy the game also! Put in a good word to any people you know wanting to play some hacks if you like it!

Offline MathUser

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:34:47 AM »
If you included a emulator in your zip when you submitted the hack to RHDN then it'll probably be rejected. I imagine there are people that are new to emulation sometimes, but they'll have to figure out how to download a emulator on their own if you want your hack hosted on RHDN. If they reject it you'll get a rejection email if you used the right email address that will have all the info from the form. Reupload the zip without a emulator then resubmit the hack.

Remember to rewrite your readme to change the mention of a included emulator if you have to resubmit your hack.

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »
Yeah, I didn't include an emulator, and actually the download link I posted is just a link to here, so I don't know if they'll accept that or not, but everything else I made sure I was doing right. It's just a lot of trouble to find a place and register where I can get a URL for an .ips file.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »
You can simply ZIP or RAR your IPS file and them send to them. Try Dropbox or Mediafire.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline MathUser

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »
The file link must be a direct link. It can't link to a page with a download link. Put the ips file and readme in a zip then upload it here: http://www.bwass.org/bucket/index.php

It recently got more complicated to upload hacks. You must include the CRC32 of the original pre-patched ROM. You can get that by uploading the ROM here: http://www.fileformat.info/tool/hash.htm

In case you didn't link the pics directly and instead linked to a page that displays the pic, you can also upload the pics in png or gif format to the first page linked.

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
I got the screenshots linked, but I guess I'll have to go back and post the other stuff too... I guess they do like to complicate things a bit...

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 05:07:54 PM »
You need patience to do a hack and even more to send to them it seems...
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline MathUser

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 06:21:20 AM »
Some people think the CRC32 is gonna help getting the right ROM. But with most hacks I don't have trouble finding the right ROM anyway. So it don't help me that much. I never check the CRC32 of my ROMs before I patch them. The admin at the site said the change might scare away casual hack submitters and he's probably right.

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »
Phew! Alright guys, I believe I finally got everything posted correctly. You guys helped quite a bit too. Especially MathUser with your website links and the CRC32 info. You guys are great. Hopefully the game will be on the site in a couple of days.