Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Movie  (Read 9238 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
If they did make a CV1 movie they would have to add in other characters because the film would be dull if Simon was the only hero.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »
If they did make a CV1 movie they would have to add in other characters because the film would be dull if Simon was the only hero.

Simon is the only hero to take on Dracula. That's what the game was pretty much about. Also the monsters and the six Guardians could have some relevance to the progression of the story as well. Kinda like what we see in Vampire Hunter D where the two sides have interactions with each other before a conflict ensues. We have to remember that Simon went in to Castlevania alone to battle the Count. There was no-one else with him. This is another reason why CV I would better serve as an opening for the main film which would be CV II. In CV II there are many characters and areas to exploit for plot development. Death is back once more to menace Simon and there's also Carmilla.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 01:35:56 AM »
I'd have to cast my vote with either the CV3 story (though I'd be one who'd WANT the CoD mix thrown in somehow...it just seems like they'd need more stuff to make it a good movie), or the LoI story. 

I remember thinking of a list of sources that could be used to expand the plot of a CV3 adaptation once. Here's what I came up with:

• CoD is of course the obvious choice. Though I must admit, putting in Hector or Isaac would be difficult since they can't really interact with Trevor and co. So their presence might be kind off pointless.
  • LoI. This is very important for exposition purposes and a nice way to expand the plot.
  • The radio drama. They could use Lyudmil, Alucard's friend. One extra person for him to interact with.
  • The Nocturne in the Moonlight Manga. It has the scene where Dracula finds Lisa's body. They should definitely use that.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
Simon is the only hero to take on Dracula. That's what the game was pretty much about. Also the monsters and the six Guardians could have some relevance to the progression of the story as well. Kinda like what we see in Vampire Hunter D where the two sides have interactions with each other before a conflict ensues. We have to remember that Simon went in to Castlevania alone to battle the Count. There was no-one else with him. This is another reason why CV I would better serve as an opening for the main film which would be CV II. In CV II there are many characters and areas to exploit for plot development. Death is back once more to menace Simon and there's also Carmilla.
By opening do you mean like how RoB is the opening of SotN? Also if you gave the monsters like Death or Medusa some character development I could see it working. I know Simon went in alone but while one thing works for a game it might not work as well for a movie. That's why like others have said CV3 would be the best because you have more to work with imo.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »
By opening do you mean like how RoB is the opening of SotN?

Essentially just like that, yes. CV II would be the bulk of the movie but CV I would be the movie's introduction, showing us what had transpired. I agree that CV I with it's lack of characters would be rather difficult to do, but having it as a starting point would work out rather well.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 10:42:32 PM »
Yeah I could totally see that working

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 01:09:30 AM »
More or less we've come up with a movie focusing on CV3 (with all of those possible backstories) by majority vote post.
X's opinion on a CV2 adaptation is also valid btw.

Who do you think is the ideal director for this movie?

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 02:04:24 AM »
More or less we've come up with a movie focusing on CV3 (with all of those possible backstories) by majority vote post.
X's opinion on a CV2 adaptation is also valid btw.

Who do you think is the ideal director for this movie?

Me

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »

I see this happening for a couple of reasons:

1. CV1 is the most basic premise of the series. It's basically Simon ventures off to battle Dracula and his minions. Basic plots are easy to embelish without crippling the premise through recons. If you already have a story where character relations are strong and essential to a universe's continuity, the possibility to fuck it up is greater.

2. Because CV1 is one fo the most basic stories, you can add a lot to it while keeping the premise the same. As long as Simon ventures into the castle, fights off zombies, mermen and skeletons and main baddies like Medusa, Frankenstein's Monster, Death and eventually Dracula, that's great. You can add some story of him before that, his relationship with "friends" or even info regarding the Belmont heritage/duty. Hell, you can also add on something like Dracula initiating the fight by sending his armies into the Simon's hometown to kill everyone, or even add a rival vampire hunter(or hunters, like the Marcus Brothers in VHD:Bloodlust) crossing tracks with Simon(and probably getting killed inside the castle). As long as the meat of the basis remains faithful to the game(which was as basic as basic can be), it could work.

To me, the more complex an original story is, the more an adaptation can fuck it up regarding continuity or retcons. The more simplistic a concept is, the more you can go crazy with it when trying to adapt it. Basically, there's MORE room for growth.

anything