Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Need feedback for an idea I had  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« on: September 07, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
So I was typing up a document for the changes I'd like to add to the CV2 Retranslation and I came up with a new mechanic that I think might make the game more interesting and more in line with the story.
Since Simon is supposed to be stricken with a curse that is killing him I thought it might be interesting to show this in the game in a more tangible way that will create a stronger sense of urgency in the player.

Simply put, I was thinking of inverting the level up system.
It would work like this:
At the beginning of the game Simon would start out at level 6 with health and defense maxed out.
Now instead of leveling up what would happen is that every other day that passes will cause Simon to level down reducing his max HP and defense.
So basically after 14 days Simon would be back to level 0.

For a more complex hack, I was thinking of removing the defense aspect of the level system and creating armor items that can be bought in the various towns.
This would be a much more difficult and time consuming involving much more than just the level up code.

What do you guys think?

"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
Nifty idea  :)  Just don't make it as hard as MetroidQuest did with his rendition of CV II. The armors are a good idea as they will even off the lack of defense Simon will lose during the game. And since the strength of Simon's offenses are determined by his whips and not his levels, it is not necessary to mess with it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: hack castlevania 2 

anything