Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Demon's Crest and Castlevania crossover fan game?  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Demon's Crest and Castlevania crossover fan game?
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:08:26 PM »
Long ago I stumbled across this fake screenshot and I thought to myself that I wished this was a real fan game...

Well point is, I loved Demon's Crest eversince I was little and it's a such a shame that this game doesn't get the love it deserves being underrated it is, although I do remember some assets have been used in "Castlevania Bloodstorm" another fan game in mind, but I also thought it would be a really good and fitting idea if a real crossover game was done since both games do fit perfectly amongst each other (like the gothic themes and such) especially there's tons of ideas how a story for it could work out for example...

After the events of the "True Ending" from Demon's Crest after defeating the dark demon, Firebrand throws all the crests atop of the mountain thinking he's not worthy of them and a 'true hero would deserve them' but little does he know that the crests fell to the human realm actually end up in Dracula's hands or rather around the Castle (maybe Dracula has the crest of Time) which Firebrand soon realizes he made a terrible mistake that he overlooked that they could fall to the wrong hands and goes to the human realm to retrieve the crests before Dracula does...if not Dracula actually uses Firebrand to retrieve the crests for him as a unwilling pawn...

So thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:12:27 PM by Zydalc »

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Demon's Crest and Castlevania crossover fan game?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
I agree totally with you, pal.

I love Demon´s Crest too, so much. If a storytelling game is not possible (by a fan game, I believe), maybe a brawler or fighting game would be good. I always dream of a fight between Death and Belth, or Eligor and Somulo. Of course all of this in awesome 2D ;D...

...But I would be happy too with a true Demon´s Crest sequel/prequel or a remake...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:53:17 AM »
Thats not the true ending, firebrand throw the crest because he want to find some one powerfull to fight, if he use the crest it will be easy, if he throw the crest the person how find it will give to him a better and fun fight, FireBrand is a Fighter not a hero, he only want to fight with the most powerfull demon or thing in the world, If the crest end in wrong or good hand thats does not matter he will fight with that Creature for The Glory of a Fight!

Still I make that cross in a game of castlevania but it was not a big deal XD. Good or Bad idea i dont know but always its good to see fangames.

Click

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:10:19 AM »
Thats not the true ending, firebrand throw the crest because he want to find some one powerfull to fight, if he use the crest it will be easy, if he throw the crest the person how find it will give to him a better and fun fight, FireBrand is a Fighter not a hero, he only want to fight with the most powerfull demon or thing in the world, If the crest end in wrong or good hand thats does not matter he will fight with that Creature for The Glory of a Fight!

I guess in that case, I guess Firebrand wouldn't mind fighting Dracula and bam, you have your Demon's Crest/Castlevania crossover.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 01:02:57 PM »
Long ago I stumbled across this fake screenshot and I thought to myself that I wished this was a real fan game...

Well point is, I loved Demon's Crest eversince I was little and it's a such a shame that this game doesn't get the love it deserves being underrated it is, although I do remember some assets have been used in "Castlevania Bloodstorm" another fan game in mind, but I also thought it would be a really good and fitting idea if a real crossover game was done since both games do fit perfectly amongst each other (like the gothic themes and such) especially there's tons of ideas how a story for it could work out for example...

After the events of the "True Ending" from Demon's Crest after defeating the dark demon, Firebrand throws all the crests atop of the mountain thinking he's not worthy of them and a 'true hero would deserve them' but little does he know that the crests fell to the human realm actually end up in Dracula's hands or rather around the Castle (maybe Dracula has the crest of Time) which Firebrand soon realizes he made a terrible mistake that he overlooked that they could fall to the wrong hands and goes to the human realm to retrieve the crests before Dracula does...if not Dracula actually uses Firebrand to retrieve the crests for him as a unwilling pawn...

So thoughts?
yes! There is sooo much win in that combo/story telling! Or it could even be Alba, you think he's destroyed but the crest of time interacts with him when drac gets his hands on the crests. Im totally down for doing this if anyone else is onboard! I also think that it would be badass to have the cv character fight firebrand at the very end, because like you and jop mentioned he is just looking for the ultimate test, who better than someone that helps him destroy dracula? Also I think that it would be awesome to have this as a direct followup to simons quest, since after the good ending you see dracs hand come out from the grave, and to my knowledge there wasnt anything following directly after that in that timeline other than harmony of dissonance with juste being simons grandson.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:08:26 PM by BMC_War Machine »
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 09:00:42 PM »
Hmmm... And it just so happens I've been working on a Demon's Crest engine for the last 3 or so weeks.
Interesting coincidence, no?

Here's the current build if anyone wants to try it out: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6ldst4c6vfv6kcv/Firebrand_v0.80.rar

It currently has a fixed 4x zoom so if your monitor is small you might not be able to see the whole image.
Basic controls are move with arrow keys, 'S' to attack, and 'X' to jump.
Game pads and joysticks should work too, but I'm not 100% certain the default mapping will match up well with anything other than a PS2 Dual Shock via usb adapter.
I added a couple of extra features such as crouching and gliding.
Also, I made some tweaks to the basic physics so Firebrand may seem a little "sticky" as compared to the original.
It seemed logical to me that he should not be able to move horizontally during the beginning of the jump animation, while landing and for the first frame of taking a step.
Oh, and he doesn't have the headbutt yet and his breath weapon is based on the one used by the Red Arremer Aces in Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »
Awesome!

I just tried it out and I can see some very good potential here and I hope you continue working on it which eventually I hope it would lead us to making custom Demon's Crest games and especially making of what needs to happen sooner or later which I'm hoping it'll one day soon become reality....

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »
Thanks!  ;D
I expect to have the core engine finished by next week.
I'm primarily planning to make it available on the GameMaker Studio Marketplace because I sorely need some sort of income.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »
@Inccubus

Nice work, I like that you use the weapon from Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts since if I remember well the fire in Demons Crest its made by the Crest (at least I think it was that) and have the grab moves in the wall (the 3 versions, thats cool).

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
Thanks!
Yeap, I noticed that there were actually 3 different one while I was ripping the graphics from the original games.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:50:29 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 03:18:52 PM »
how you likin GMStudio? I cant bring mself to give a chance cause I like to do too much external file i/o

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »
It's a huge improvement over v8.
I've never had any issues with it myself. And now that shaders are supported there isn't much that I can't do with it.
Hell, the current blog posts on the Yoyo Games site is about how they are creating a C64 emulator with GMStudio.

PS- I should also mention that I don't use DnD, just straight GML.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:51:25 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Tags: