Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest  (Read 57428 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Castlevania Dungeon Award Sprite Contest
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2014, 07:17:51 AM »
I expect a honorable mention for being so bad at spriting  j/k
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
Jorge didn't finish his yet, we're still waiting on him.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2014, 06:59:32 AM »
Jorge is done now, I am assuming he is going to make the announcement...

On a side note you guys, we can officially start bouncing ideas for what we want as the new contest for this month as well as the pick for judges! 

Lets get this done soon, so people can have the maximum amount of time to work on their sprites!

For my idea for November's contest, I say we should have a contest to design an original Castlevania End Boss that Dracula could turn into.

Maybe something up to this size:

I think this gives everyone the opportunity to sprite much bigger this time around.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:16:13 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2014, 10:25:32 AM »
You are correct.
I arrived from Halloween last night and finished up the contest.

We started drafting up the Judgment in GoogleDocs over the last few days, with me concluding it last night.  Here is a copy of our collected thoughts as well as the scores:

TOTALS
Example Entry--------------------------------- | 4 | 2 | 1 |    Total: 7

(D= Darkman, U= Uzo, J= Jorge)

---------------------------------------------------  D - U -  J ----------------

The Plot Twist  - Golden Bat Trophy------  | 4 | 4 |  4  |    Total: 12
Kaonstantine - Death Thumbs Up--------  | 2 | --  |  1  |    Total: 3
Jop - Victor Belmont Stand----------------- | 1 |  --  |  --  |    Total: 1
Jop - Simon Belmont Stand----------------  | -- | 1 |  --  |    Total: 1
Donoffrio - Simon Bust --------------------- | -- | 2 |  2  |    Total: 4

_______________________________________ ___________________________________
UZO
(click to show/hide)

JORGE
(click to show/hide)

DARKMAN
(click to show/hide)

-------------------------------------

So the winner, in what is basically an unanimous decision, is...
The Plot Twist - Golden Bat Award

As per the rules of this contest (which were voted upon and the end solution was decided here, ThePlotTwist now has the bonus prize of designing the Silver and Bronze awards.

I'm guessing he will be using the ones he showed us (Silver GrimReaper, Bronze Medusa).
The Castlevania Dungeon Forums team would like to thank everyone for taking their time for their entries.
Hopefully later contest will get everything squared away in terms of rules, etc. in a better, more efficient way. ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:05:52 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
Congratulations, The Plot Twist! :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »
I think I have an idea for the next one: HD sprite contest. Everybody chooses one belmont, scales it up to a minimum of 4x and maximum of 8x and has to pixel over it. No art, but only pixel art (like this: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/126/6/d/hd_sprite_edit___castlevania_sotn_heart_refresh_by_anarkhya-d4yqowe.png            not like this: http://raihn.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/trevor_step02_thumb.png  )
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2014, 01:25:59 PM »
I think I have an idea for the next one: HD sprite contest. Everybody chooses one belmont, scales it up to a minimum of 4x and maximum of 8x and has to pixel over it. No art, but only pixel art (like this: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/126/6/d/hd_sprite_edit___castlevania_sotn_heart_refresh_by_anarkhya-d4yqowe.png            not like this: http://raihn.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/trevor_step02_thumb.png  )

Ewww, so you are basically tracing over already existing pixel art :-\

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »
Ewww, so you are basically tracing over already existing pixel art :-\

Or we could do a character creation sprite contest. :P
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »
Actually ZeroSaberGreen's pitch is similar to what a lot of the Capcom people did when they had to upscale/downscale sprites.
It's an interesting technique that yields really cool-looking results.

It's still 'pixel art', just high-res.  It's as if you took, say, Richter Belmont and upscaled him to Ryu (SFII) size, but kept the same pose, but took advantage of the many extra pixels in order to come up with more definition.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »
Im with Darkmanx, while I know its very hard to "remaster" sprites, I would like to see something new or done from zero. Im best at doing edits (even so Im not good) and even so I prefered to do something from scratch, the judges mentioning my entry is a great prize for me, thanks :)

BUT, if the next contest come to be this, I already know what sprite I would like to upscale :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »
+1
Congratulations, theplottwist!

Thanks to the judges for the reviews on my sprites. I even feared my sprites could had been rejected because they don't fit the contest theme. I'm happy with the comments received ^^

To all contestant, i hope to see you again in the further contest, and that more contestant take part of it.

About the next contest, i'm with darkmanx and lelygax, i prefer to work on something totally new instead of making modifications/using a template.

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »
Maybe taking a character that has no sprite in that scale and making one? Like Reinhardt or Gabriel. Could even do a Judgement design (haha I know) or something.

Only a single pose is required. I'd say impose the 16 color limit to keep things authentic to true Castlevania style.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »
Maybe taking a character that has no sprite in that scale and making one? Like Reinhardt or Gabriel. Could even do a Judgement design (haha I know) or something.

Only a single pose is required. I'd say impose the 16 color limit to keep things authentic to true Castlevania style.

Ooh. That sounds nice.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2014, 12:08:43 AM »
Thanks dudes! To be honest, the competition here is arduous, and really made me think I had no chance  :o

Now, I might take up on Uzo's idea and make the silver trophy into another enemy. Maybe Axe Armor, as he proposed, or maybe another equally annoying enemy as Bat and Medusa Head (Fleaman comes to mind). I'll try to find a way to make Death work, but if it doesn't, I'll show something new!
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2014, 03:18:25 AM »
Congratulations, theplottwist!

I had a feeling that the bat would win top prize the first time I saw it.
I can't wait for the next contest.  :)

Hmm... how about designing an original monster for the next contest?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:24:20 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Tags: Fuck it