Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Videogame outside influences.  (Read 2683 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: November 08, 2022, 08:56:40 AM »
+1
TheouAegis got me thinking about some influences in games from outside sources with his Medusa/Psycho Jenny. This one's been on my mind for several years now so I'd thought I'd share it here.

Metroid 2: Return of Samus came out in 1991. In it we see for the first time Samus' gunship, with a rather familiar design. If anyone's seen Walt Disney's Flight of the Navigator (1986) then it should click quite easily.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 01:25:59 PM »
I vaguely recall this film from childhood.

Did you know about this?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 04:46:18 PM »
I did actually. I ran into that as I was searching for the ship images this morning. It did surprise me as I didn't think his life ever got that bad. But it seem like he's on the mend and I hope it lasts.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 08:08:35 PM »
+1
The first game that sprang to mind is Final Fight. I haven't seen it yet, but Streets of Fire is said to have likely been a significant inspiration for Final Fight. Apparently the protagonist's last name is Cody, he's fighting street thugs to get a kidnapped girl back, and he's good with knives. That's about all I know so far.

Also, some of the Final Fight characters bear a passing resemblance to some figures from some Tom of Finland paintings, an artist known for his masculine homoerotic work. Most likely a coincidence, but I stumbled across this YouTube video years ago that pointed it out. Kind of a lighthearted take on the series, and I found the video kind of funny:

Also, it seems like a lot of things in the Souls games were inspired by Berserk. I think this is pretty common knowledge for Souls fans, but I always found it to be a really cool aspect of the games.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 08:12:17 PM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 05:16:33 PM »
TheouAegis got me thinking about some influences in games from outside sources with his Medusa/Psycho Jenny. This one's been on my mind for several years now so I'd thought I'd share it here.

Metroid 2: Return of Samus came out in 1991. In it we see for the first time Samus' gunship, with a rather familiar design. If anyone's seen Walt Disney's Flight of the Navigator (1986) then it should click quite easily.

Huh.  Flight of the Navigator is one of my favorite films from childhood.  And Metroid is one of my favorite game series.  But I've never made this connection til today.  I don't know that it's anything more than a coincidence though - I wouldn't say they're identical designs, and neither is terribly unusual for a spaceship shape.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 09:29:50 AM »
I used the word familiar as I also know they aren't identical. The overall design of Samus' gunship seem to echo the Trymaxian drone ship. The later designs get a bit closer then the Metroid II design.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 09:31:46 AM by X »

Tags: