Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Question about one of Sonia's powers  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Tuxedo Mark

• Vampire Hunter
  • I love Sonia Belmont.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Legends (GBC)
« on: October 17, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
In the manual, it's stated Sonia "learned at an early age of her ability to sense the presence of beings physical and spiritual that cannot be seen by ordinary humans."

At first, I thought this was something that wasn't used in the game itself. However, what if all of the enemies themselves are the beings "that cannot be seen by ordinary humans"? That might be the primary reason that the Belmonts go up against Dracula: no one else can even see these monsters. Other magic users such as Sypha, Carrie, Charlotte, and Shanoa could be assumed to have the same ability. Alucard can, because he's half-vampire. Eric, because, um, the Alucard Spear? But what about regular guys like Grant and Nathan?

What do you think?

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:58:47 PM »
I think that...

... a sequel (or remake) is necessary for Legends. A remake with a wide explanation (ingame and in narrative) of the Sonia´s powers would be great.

As for "super human" powers from a Belmont, I remember the intro story in CVIII, in which people feared Trevor ´cause his powers. So, being a Belmont implies to have special abilities...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:19:22 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
I think you're already going wrong by assuming that every character, ever, like Nathan and Sonia are canon to the main timeline (where no "ability to sente beings physical and spiritual that cannot be seen by ordinary humans" is ever mentioned). In fact, we see much to the contrary: In Rondo of Blood, the scared people look like they can see the monsters damn well. Other games make it very clear that the monsters aren't 'invisible'.

Maybe in Sonia's timeline, the monsters are invisible. Or maybe, it only refers to ghosts. Or maybe, her ability is about sensing the monsters' presence, not seeing them. Also, maybe the "seen by ordinary humans" may refer to the fact that the monsters are way too fast for humans to react.
'
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
I think you're already going wrong by assuming that every character, ever, like Nathan and Sonia are canon to the main timeline (where no "ability to sente beings physical and spiritual that cannot be seen by ordinary humans" is ever mentioned). In fact, we see much to the contrary: In Rondo of Blood, the scared people look like they can see the monsters damn well. Other games make it very clear that the monsters aren't 'invisible'.

Maybe in Sonia's timeline, the monsters are invisible. Or maybe, it only refers to ghosts. Or maybe, her ability is about sensing the monsters' presence, not seeing them. Also, maybe the "seen by ordinary humans" may refer to the fact that the monsters are way too fast for humans to react.
'

Oh, yeah, I forget to point that in my last post... Legends is not canon :P...

I whish that the game could be part of the main canon, with some fixtures...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 05:56:25 AM »
Seems to me like typical nonsense that got added during localization.

Someone should probably check that first before there's another over-analyzing debate if CV monsters are invisible, yes or no.

Offline Tuxedo Mark

• Vampire Hunter
  • I love Sonia Belmont.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Legends (GBC)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:14:58 AM »
Seems to me like typical nonsense that got added during localization.

Someone should probably check that first before there's another over-analyzing debate if CV monsters are invisible, yes or no.

Okay. It's in Sonia's bio, not in the main story itself. Here's the US manual:

Here's the Japanese manual:

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »
I tend to think that there are some things of the supernatural that normal people cannot see whereas the Belmonts can. For the average monster (a physical being), they are readily visible to anyone. But say something like a poltergeist which is animate energies that no one sees, can be seen by a Belmont making them far more effective hunters then the standard run-of-the-mill human.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline EisaKrieger

• Elemental Warrior
  • Hunter in Training
    • My Cv: Fjording of the Abyss page
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »
I like the Handbook for the Recently Deceased in Betelguese.  Usually the living won't see the dead (not can't see).

Offline AxeLord

• Hector's #1 Fan
  • Hunter in Training
  • Where's the damn wall meat, Ellis?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 07:39:36 AM »
It never says anything about her seeing invisible monsters. It says she senses them. Kinda like a Belmont spider-sense, I guess? Would've made for a neat game mechanic.

Bit off-topic, but is there anywhere where I can find some high quality scans of that Sonia artwork? Damn Japanese and their fancy-pantsy color manuals.
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
but enough talk -
have at you!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 09:50:16 AM »
It never says anything about her seeing invisible monsters.

"learned at an early age of her ability to sense the presence of beings physical and spiritual that cannot be seen by ordinary humans."

Your statement is incorrect, they say it. But only because she can sense the presence of "invisible" beings, doesnt mean that all creatures are like that :P

I think it applies to beings like Shaft's ghost and that Shadow from HoD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
"learned at an early age of her ability to sense the presence of beings physical and spiritual that cannot be seen by ordinary humans."

Your statement is incorrect, they say it. But only because she can sense the presence of "invisible" beings, doesnt mean that all creatures are like that :P

I think it applies to beings like Shaft's ghost and that Shadow from HoD

In all fairness, it says she senses them. Not sees them. Kinda like in DBZ how Goku and co. can feel the presence of certain people before they can see them.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »
In all fairness, it says she senses them. Not sees them. Kinda like in DBZ how Goku and co. can feel the presence of certain people before they can see them.

Yeah, but if she senses something that cannot be seen by ordinary humans so:

A) She cannot see it too and fight it only using senses (gameplay-wise we would see it, like in my example)

B)She can see it.

Also we are debating about a statement that is bad explained and seems to be like a generic bio that you would find in some anime, but well explained.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline EisaKrieger

• Elemental Warrior
  • Hunter in Training
    • My Cv: Fjording of the Abyss page
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Something that would make more sense is biological living monsters and possessed physical things such as armor can be seen by anyone but others, ghosts and spirit type things, can only been seen by some people such as the Belmonts, or maybe briefly glimpsed in peripheral vision by regular people.

Tags:

anything