Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Legends NES  (Read 45772 times)

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
  • How Do I Get the IV Upgrade?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »
Been sitting on this decision for a while now.  Been talking it over with my music reference composer, nesfan, after speaking with some talented programmers.  For Legends NES I'd like to have that converted over to the N163 sound engine format.  I know looking for a programmer to do this will be extremely difficult to do as it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Why the move to N163?  Because its there and its 100% possible.  Right now nesfan will be focusing on the VRC6 stuff unless he wants to go on with N163-6 channel stuff.

I understand that the ROM itself may not have so-and-so stuff for it but programming it in, whoever does it, will have all the time in the world to do this.  They just have to be very familiar with mappers and the likes for it to actually happen.  Could always find a sound engine that utilizes this and port it over though it all depends on what the programmer will want to do.

Am I reaching for a pipe dream?  Doesn't feel like it.  I've seen the impossible become possible on the RHDN website by talented programmers and not afraid to ask around for it when the time comes.  Was just holding onto the idea until I got more information.  Not an easy task to undertake but something I'd like to happen towards Legends NES.  Everything will have to be done by scratch since it will be a full on sound engine conversion.  Again, I'm not worried about putting this on a cartridge so can expand to whatever size necessary with hopes of not have to rely on a single custom or its own type of emulator just to run it :)

I know people will step forward and say I should just stick to VRC6 however this is something I want to aim for and with the help of whoever wants to step up and take on this massive task it will be deeply appreciated.  This will most likely be the only project I'll ever do this to :)

In time I will post up more stuff for Legends NES as I went back to tweak up some things.  Never knew I'd be putting this  much love and attention into the Clock Tower lol :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:46 PM »
Never knew I'd be putting this  much love and attention into the Clock Tower lol :)

I gotta see that when it's ready  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
It will be a bit longer.  I have enough time to post and update stuff that I'll be busy all week long doing stuff as my insurance company screamed at me about having the 'wrong' type of base rock on my driveway so I gotta get that cleaned off and put in other stuff.  Some new rule that they sent to me about the county changing a few months ago.  Not only that I need to fix a part on  my privacy fence that they don't like either, said its a fire hazard (painted in a different color and they want it the same).  If I want to keep my insurance, gotta follow the rules  :P

On a side note about the N163 bit.  It may not happen.  Talked to a few more sources about it and found out it will cut most of my plans for Legends NES by 3/4 which scared the hell out of me.  Sure I can expand over this  by having the ROM expanded to huge proportions however some stuff will need this and this to function so in the end I'll most likely end up sticking to VRC6 which is cool.  Really don't want to loose my plans for the game lol.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »
Found some teeny, tiny time today to work on Legends NES.  Getting things sorted out however still far from done on remotely working on anything throughout the day  :P

Second half of Stage 2.  Finally working things out.  Using some of the blocks from the actual Legends GB game to see how it looks.  May or may not keep it, dunno yet.  Still gotta decide on what background to go with as I'm trying to make this level feel like the cave area in the GameBoy game.

Another room.  The moving platforms need to be adjusted around a bit.

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 04:50:23 AM »
About the colors in a 16bit sprite.

For SNES you have 256 maximum colors per layer per scanline and 32,768 maximum colors on-screen. A palette is limited to 15 colors and transparency. What you really need to look at is how many colors in the palette are shared between the character and other objects on screen. If you have a single palette for the character sprite on it's own you can use up to 15 colors for Simon. I can't remember how the palettes work on SNES if the character sprite shares a palette or not but this is the key factor that will tell you exactly how many different colors you can actually use for the character.

My guess though is that you can cheat this a little by sharing maybe just a couple colors between the character and specific objects that will appear on screen at the same time. It may allow you to get away with using a couple extra colors you really want on the character sprite anyhow.
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »
My apologies for not responding sooner as I've bee both mentally and physically exhausted this past month doing stuff.

I deeply appreciate the info on the 16 bit spriting as I don't want to accidentally go overboard on something that won't be able to work for a SNES game.  Not sure on how much I can actually cheat since I only want to do the character sprite only without touching anything in the background.  I'm making this sprite for someone else as they told me I have all the time in the world to make it and have it fit accordingly :)

On a side note for Legends NES, I'll most likely begin working back on my project after Halloween unless something happens then sooner though there is a side project I am working on with someone else by doing the character and boss sprites so I want to get that done and out of the way first before focusing 100% back onto Legends NES :)

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »
Well, a small update on Legends NES and its not too pretty.

Thanks to some idiot out there I'm gonna have to rename Legends NES into something else however I plan on keeping Legends within the title so the theme can still be there.  I'm able to keep all of my stuff up on YouTube however certain ones I'll need to rename.  With that being said I'm going to talk to Sephirous on what he thinks on moving my Sonia Belmont and the events around her into the universe where the Cadence of Agony reboot resides in.  The story I did have will have to be trashed in order to accommodate the new.

I expected drama when I started my stuff which is no big deal but the only thing I'm sour about is I have to redo the story as I had something great going.  This won't effect the levels in any way though when I do get to designing more of them I'll have to adjust them around to the new time period.  I'm going to keep this thread titled the same for now until otherwise.

Such is life :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »
That a bum shame  :(

What was the original story like?
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 06:46:26 AM »
The story was set 100 years before the events of Dracula's Curse with the Belmonts being shown as part of the church while also have it show on how the people of the land came to fear them.  Right now on where I sit with things I still have plans on having the Legends theme to the game however I have to come up with a title with Legends in it while not having it sound cliche.

A person suggested that I keep it titled Legends NES but after what I went through I don't wanna test fate right now so going to have this Sonia 100 years after the events of an upcoming project by Sephirous that's set after Cadence of Agony which will make mine #4 in this series.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 10:23:47 PM »
Legends of Castlevania.

Sounds good from here, just in reverse  :)

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 07:55:07 PM »
Legends of Castlevania.

Sounds good from here, just in reverse  :)

Legends of the Demonic Castle it is :)

Also, a poll is up and will expire in 30 days so that way it will give everyone plenty of time to make a decision on what to have this renamed to :)

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 06:02:33 AM »
Aight, I took down the poll as I'm getting more suggestions from people that are sounding better than others.  Whoever suggested stuff to me I do apologize about taking down the poll however I can only fit 5 names into it.  Right now I'm still open for suggestions and at this rate I'll probably toss out Legends within the title but still keep the Legends theme within the game as that's not going to change.

My original ideas for the game's content aren't going anywhere :)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 08:34:46 AM »
You could do Demon Castle Dracula: Legends. Or Legends of the Demon Castle Dracula. Or you could stick with a more direct translation of the Japanese name, Demon Castle Dracula: Dark Night Prelude.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »
That one is a thought as I can place on the table as well :)

One was recently thrown at me.  Castlevania 4: Resurrection of Darkness.  Has a nice ring to it honestly :)

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania IV: Resurrection of Darkness (was Legends NES) ROM Hack
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »
+1
Well, people kept asking me to see stage 2 of RoD so here's a video of the unfinished stage.  Been busy doing stuff for CoA, BoS and MetroidVania I haven't touched it much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBhmSVAS5Q&t=15s

Remember, this is all just graphic hacking right now as I haven't found a programmer yet to alter things within the game to how I want them to so please bear with the stair glitches that I have to use to traverse around :)

Music for the project.  The gentleman who's doing all of the composure for the VRC6 stuff, nesfan, will get me something sometime soon when he's not too busy with stuff.