Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Legends NES  (Read 45768 times)

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
  • How Do I Get the IV Upgrade?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania Legends NES (ROM Hack) [Revived]
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
Aight, good news and its about the music!  The production towards the VRC6 soundtrack has continued thanks to Xyz :)

Sadly no news about the Akumajou Densetsu editor yet.  Trying to wait patiently for anything new let alone a chance to speak to the actual programmer who is looking into  making it through another person that contacted me about it :P

Still focusing on Umbral Genesis, the Castlevania 1 hack so no worries to those who are watching that one :)

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania Legends NES (Akumajou Densetsu Hack)
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »
Necro bumping my own post ;)

So, work has started in full swing towards Legends NES with no signs of stopping as almost all road bumps have been traversed over.  Right now a new one as risen up which relates to the compatibility issues between reVamp and Akumajou Densetsu.

Its a simple road bump but for me I don't know how to pass it.

Now, everyone knows that reVamp is meant for Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse right?  That's because the program was written around the MMC5 expansion port that Castlevania 3 uses.  Akumajou Densetsu uses the iNES Mapper 024, an advanced and modified MMC chip by Konami, that runs the Famicom game.  Both MMC chips are kind of similar since MMC5 is considered (loosely) as the American VRC6 however they function differently altogether.  There are two types of VRC6 chips though Akumajou Densetsu MUST rely on the iNES Mapper 024 to function properly.

The mystery has been solved as to why reVamp is not compatible with the game at all.  Sure it can modify stuff up to a point but different mappers with different functions get in the way.

Now a new hurdle has come forward.  reVamp is programmed in Visual Basic 6 and in need of someone to make an entirely new program, or modified, level editor for Akumajou Densetsu that is the exact of reVamp.  All efforts to reach out to +daniel+, its original creator, has failed so trying to get help from him is considered an absolute loss especially for the knowledge towards reVamp.  I thought that I had the source code for the program itself but turns out it was bogus.  Other numerous people have stepped forward and claimed to offer me help but got nothing but lies and laughed at.  Trying to reach out again openly online to find someone that is willing to help program, or modify, a level editor specifically for Akumajou Densetsu as I also want to try and have new features placed within the editor itself as well.  I know programming something like this will take a huge amount of time, and months, so I'm well aware of the possible development time that will go towards this effort.

Other efforts towards the project, Jorge himself has dedicated time towards the creation of the soundtrack in MIDI format along with Nesfan to eventually get around in making the VRC6 soundtrack however that will be a good long ways off as he's focusing on Cadence of Agony then soon followed by Umbral Genesis's soundtrack.  The previous fellow, Xyz, stopped contact with me earlier in the year so I consider him a loss plus I think they were after the soundtrack anyway with no intentions on helping.  Considered it more lies and deceit....just like the rest that have come and gone in offering 'help' towards the project.

That's where I'm at with Legends NES right now.  With what I have found I'm deeply hoping that someone can help out in all of this especially with the editor issue.  Not sure how long this road will be to traverse on but I will make sure nothing will be dropped ever again as that made me look untrustworthy in many ways.  No amount of apologies can recover from that blunder other than accepting it and moving on.

Offline golpebaixo

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »
Just modify Castlevania III then.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
Just modify Castlevania III then.

Easier said than done.  Besides, that's not the direction I want to take as it will require extra amounts of work to modify the U.S version for the Japanese one and since the Japanese one is just right there I see no reason as to why on going the extra steps in modifying the ROM.  The program, reVamp, needs to be modified by someone on who knows on what they're doing as it would be easier that way in the long run with less headaches involved.

Offline golpebaixo

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
Nope. I don't see many people interested in NES romhacking, let alone someone dedicated enough to rebuild an editor for one single specific game, FROM SCRATCH.

Realistically speaking, it's just not happening. You'll have to either migrate to CVIII or drop the project altogether.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »
Not on this forum though I know of some programmers around that could bring a huge help if they are interested in lending a hand hence why I posted up here.

Again, not the goal of what I'm doing.  Did that a few times, never again.  My mind is made up and that's that. 

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2019, 05:34:21 PM »
Again, not the goal of what I'm doing.  Did that a few times, never again.  My mind is made up and that's that.

Eventually someone or something will come along and help with your progress. Best to stick to your guns once your mind is made up. I wish you the best as I want to play this when it is ready  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2019, 07:20:21 PM »
I am a bit unfamiliar with the full scope of what you're doing with this project, but considering what you're asking wouldn't it be easier to just recreate the CVIII engine in Game Maker Studio or Clickteam Fusion? It's ironic but I actually think rebuilding the engine from scratch would be a more attainable goal. Plus, the NES Castlevania engines are incredibly simple. It probably wouldn't take too much time to develop if you had a guy who knows his way around game development software.

Offline golpebaixo

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2019, 11:00:57 PM »
I am a bit unfamiliar with the full scope of what you're doing with this project, but considering what you're asking wouldn't it be easier to just recreate the CVIII engine in Game Maker Studio or Clickteam Fusion? It's ironic but I actually think rebuilding the engine from scratch would be a more attainable goal. Plus, the NES Castlevania engines are incredibly simple. It probably wouldn't take too much time to develop if you had a guy who knows his way around game development software.
Yep, that's another viable alternative. He could probably go for a free alternative like GDevelop.
This demand for a new rom editing tool sounds to me like he expects someone else to do the hard work.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »
This demand for a new rom editing tool sounds to me like he expects someone else to do the hard work.

I love reading statements like this as it shows me people aren't familiar on what I do as these little tidbits aren't true at all, like most other self assumption posts out there towards me.  Love stuff like this as it shows no one knows me at all 8)

I have other programmers willing to help create this with me alongside them with whatever spritework adjustments and what have you to be made towards the program as someone may not know how things are put together within the CHR data of the game.  I was going to explain this to whoever wanted to help out with the new program as there was a good sized team behind the original so the creator of the new/modified program will not be alone in this endeavor.

You made my morning and almost made me spit out my OJ.  Keep up this entertainment, golpebaixo, as its some good sauce  ;D

Anyway, to keep this thread back on its normal topic.  I am going to be keeping this thread updated more on Legends NES development since these discoveries were made.  Until level changes can be made in-depth I'll be doing just sprite work and simple color palette changes as I'm fearful of using reVamp on the Famicom version in case there are any irreversible changes made  :P

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »
Anyway, to keep this thread back on its normal topic.  I am going to be keeping this thread updated more on Legends NES development since these discoveries were made.  Until level changes can be made in-depth I'll be doing just sprite work and simple color palette changes as I'm fearful of using reVamp on the Famicom version in case there are any irreversible changes made  :P

backups! backups for your backups! digital backups! physical backups! backups in the spirit world!
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2019, 06:53:44 AM »
backups! backups for your backups! digital backups! physical backups! backups in the spirit world!

20 backups a day will keep the doctor away  ;D

I learned that the hard way years ago messing with VoH2.  I'll never go that route again and make backups in case something happens :P

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7BmbruYN7Q

Going to be making a blog series about Legends NES as I explain stuff within the video more over than what I can type out here.

Sad to say I am cutting my losses with VRC6 and going with something else that will be made for me next year as it sounds just as good as VRC6 in my opinion :)

-Insert Could Have Told You So Stereotype Response Here-

;D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2019, 09:18:04 PM »
Sad to say I am cutting my losses with VRC6 and going with something else that will be made for me next year as it sounds just as good as VRC6 in my opinion :)

Would this be the NESmaker by any chance? I'm very interested in checking it out myself  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2019, 06:18:45 AM »
Would this be the NESmaker by any chance? I'm very interested in checking it out myself  :)

No, its not NES Maker :)

anything