Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Is there a rom hack for Castlevania IV?  (Read 9299 times)

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
You know. Like Super Castlevania IV, but demastered for the NES.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
Re: Is there a rom hack for Castlevania IV?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 01:57:59 AM »
For ROM hacks of Super Castlevania IV recently there're drops of them at romhacking.net but limited compared to other popular games.
For the demastered for NES hack I don't think there ever exists one.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
  • How Do I Get the IV Upgrade?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 02:08:04 AM »
You know. Like Super Castlevania IV, but demastered for the NES.

No such hack exists yet.  If it ever did it would have to be on Castlevania 3 for the best outcome though the whip brandishing would have to be different via programming.  Directional whip attacks can be a thing though would require extra programming to get the job done by scrapping and utilizing the programming sprite space of the side characters of Grant, Sypha and Alucard.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:27:58 AM »
CV3 has about 15 stages in total while SCV4 has 11 in total. Scraping four of the stages in CV3 should give the mod maker more room to play with in terms of programming. I'm not really sure how it all works to be honest  :-\
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:22:30 AM »
CV3 has about 15 stages in total while SCV4 has 11 in total. Scraping four of the stages in CV3 should give the mod maker more room to play with in terms of programming. I'm not really sure how it all works to be honest  :-\

In honesty, I'd use that as an advantage.  Upgrade some stage from Castlevania 1 or downgrade a stage from Haunted Castle just to keep things interesting.  There is a hack by a gentleman that eliminates the forks in the road and I think his previous patch eliminates that screen altogether so the stages can be literally back to back.

I already got this concept planned.  Just need to get that far on my projects list to work on it  :)

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 01:26:56 AM »
What I want a romhack of Super Castlevania 4 is to make the color of Simon's armor looks accurate from the japanese box art. The rest of the game is already fine for what it is.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
I've only played ROM hacks of CV4 that change the order of the rooms.  It's so weird to climb the clock tower and then end up falling into the dungeon and then go through the beginning's stables. xD
Some stages are even to be traversed backwards! It's a neat hack.

But no graphics hacks. Something's still so weird about the way they handled the sprites/tiles in that game...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
What Sinis said, that was exactly my first thought on a demake.
CV3 would greatly benefit from a really good level editor.
The lack of good level editors for Castlevania games in general is why you don't see a lot of really good hacks.
The level data in most of the games is still voodoo to a lot of us.
"Stuff and things."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 04:38:53 PM »
What Sinis said, that was exactly my first thought on a demake.
CV3 would greatly benefit from a really good level editor.
The lack of good level editors for Castlevania games in general is why you don't see a lot of really good hacks.
The level data in most of the games is still voodoo to a lot of us.

I've been working on a platformer engine with a level editor for a while now. Soon, maybe, it could be something good. Really the best thing for classicvanias would be to expand it beyond the NES platform. Something like SMBX but for Castlevania games, ya know?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »
I've been working on a platformer engine with a level editor for a while now. Soon, maybe, it could be something good. Really the best thing for classicvanias would be to expand it beyond the NES platform. Something like SMBX but for Castlevania games, ya know?

Would this be that Akumajou Densetsu editor or something else entirely?  I kind of gave up on the VRC6 stuff because of a few other people that pulled my leg and got my hopes up in lying about helping me to get two projects done on the Japanese version.  One guy stole the FamiTracker modules that I had for Legends NES and VoH II, another one (besides you) said they'd work on an editor then told me to p*** off after waiting for two months to get back with them about it (was just last month on the 19th) and now I'm just sitting here with uncertainty about VoH II.  I can do all of the sprite work and level design but to find a good programmer that will actually stick with you along with keeping up contact when you talk to them is rare.  If or whenever I do get to a demake of Super Castlevania IV I'm hoping to have a few programmers to help me with that.  Its just one thing after another these days, dunno how I pulled this kind of luck lol  :P

In the end I would be interested in seeing this on what you are working on :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 10:49:24 PM »
I know that Inccubus was working on a CV program editor or something of the like, but I not heard of any progress on that front for some time now.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 02:30:56 AM »
I know that Inccubus was working on a CV program editor or something of the like, but I not heard of any progress on that front for some time now.

Like another editor for the first CV or something else?  I know Stake is pretty darn awesome as I consider that a superior editor as it edits the title, intro and ending screen sections.  Wish it could edit the map transition screen but that is too wishful thinking  ;D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 10:02:44 AM »
Like another editor for the first CV or something else?

From what he told us it was something else other then just a level editor. It's essentially a program to allow you to make your own CV game from scratch.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 02:45:41 PM »
For like PC or ROM?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »
PC I'm sure. If you're curious enough you could PM him to find out more.

Tags:

anything