Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 981693 times)

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #1275 on: May 21, 2015, 01:31:25 PM »
And of course around 2009 Dave Cox was spreading stories to anyone who was naive enough to believe it that LoS was going to be totally like SCIV but in 3D for the real fans,
They got me bad with that. :(

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1276 on: May 21, 2015, 02:11:24 PM »
I know right?

I remember constantly having to defend IGA and his games when I first joined from people who where in love with the LOS reveal and constantly took dumps on IGA and his games at every turn.

Its weird seeing this board for the most part suddenly pro IGA all the sudden...
I can second this. I joined the forums expecting to run into legions of IGA fans - instead, I was mostly greeted by 16-bit nostalgics and Lords of Shadow converts. But now everyone's realizing that IGA is probably the only person left who's still willing to create something akin to Castlevania, so our former producer is getting a fresh popularity bath. After all, four years of absence can do wonders.

Are you surprised? After the shit heap what was Lords of Shadow, everything that has happened lately has been amazing.
Lords of Shadow wasn't a shit heap by any stretch of the imagination: it was just being marketed as the wrong title in the wrong franchise. I'm still convinced that if Konami had chosen to publish Lords of Shadow on its own, the game would've been hailed a gorgeous tribute to Castlevania, and four years of poisonous bickering the CV community would never have happened.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:13:10 PM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Somanyte

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #1277 on: May 21, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
+1
About the $3 million goal...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1278 on: May 21, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
journey back to the cv dungeon (not just here but at several other forums) around 2003-2007 and read peoples general opinions on iga during his tenure as cv producer & metroidvania. entirely different place than it is now lol

1 quote i distinctly remember from someone, right around the time poultry of ruin was revealed was, "...well, here we go again."

i just think its interesting how general opinion went from "ughh we need a break from iga already" to "IGA welcome back we missed youuuu!!!"

I think perhaps many people didn't totally appreciate it until it was gone. For some, having a game of a specific type coming out almost yearly is a godsend and those people were fine with the volume of CVs coming out; for others it tended to make them want some time to breathe or more extreme variation than even PoR or OoE provided.

Offline Sir Nicko

• Formerly Soma Cruz
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #1279 on: May 21, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »

(click to show/hide)

OHHHH man! I will be so ready to double-dip if true. Playing on the gamepad would definitely resonate with me, as I was first fell in love with CV with the portable entries (CotM to be exact!). I'm definitely willing to give more support if so!

BTW, I third the fact that I'm happy to see IGA getting some more love on these boards! It's good to be back indeed!

Nicko

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1280 on: May 21, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »

(click to show/hide)
YOOOOOO

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1281 on: May 21, 2015, 03:54:21 PM »
i've seen concerns that if a Wii U version is done that the quality of the game on the other platforms might suffer in order that you can essentially get the same game on all platforms.  it seems they're not going to let that happen.  so we could end up with an inferior wii u version.  what are the chances they might end up making essentially a remixed game on the wii u instead?  kinda like when they made Dracula X on the Super Nintendo rather than a more direct port of Rondo of Blood, which I appreciated since it could stand on its own as a separate game instead of being constantly reminded how inferior it was. 

edit: on second thought, maybe the saturn port of symphony would be a more likely analogy.  they had to take out some stuff because of hardware limitations, but they added some stuff kinda to make up for it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:03:45 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1282 on: May 21, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
+1
I think the critism of IGA during that time was mostly because of Metroidvania fatigue. And of course around 2009 Dave Cox was spreading stories to anyone who was naive enough to believe it that LoS was going to be totally like SCIV but in 3D for the real fans, and as someone already mentioned in this thread, launching a smear campaign against the Metroidvanias. Couple that with the fact that MoF was a very pathetic replacement to the previous handheld games, which are all gems in their own right, and Konami's currently salting the earth while retreating their way out of the console industry, I think I can understand why people here are welcoming IGA back with open arms.

Yeah but we got ACCEPT CHANGE and that gif of gabe and patrick stewart shaking hands, with gabe labeled as TRUE CASTLEVANIA FANS and stewart as Mercury Steam. And I would never want to give that up, especially in given how the epic mature reboot for mature gamers turned out.

Another sign of how things have drastically changed around here? Rugal is getting upvoted again instead of downvoted.

I can second this. I joined the forums expecting to run into legions of IGA fans - instead, I was mostly greeted by 16-bit nostalgics and Lords of Shadow converts. But now everyone's realizing that IGA is probably the only person left who's still willing to create something akin to Castlevania, so our former producer is getting a fresh popularity bath. After all, four years of absence can do wonders.

To be fair this place was kinda worse from 2005-2007. People just pretty much lamented how Circle of the Moon was the last great Castlevania. Which is fine, but then there was this creepy meme of posting pictures of IGA and Yamane speaking Engrish to mock them. It's like, come on.

I kinda miss Blu Cheese and Redrum though, even though they'd have no fucking clue who I was.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:18:47 PM by beingthehero »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1283 on: May 21, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »
Quote from: Intersection
Lords of Shadow wasn't a shit heap by any stretch of the imagination: it was just being marketed as the wrong title in the wrong franchise. I'm still convinced that if Konami had chosen to publish Lords of Shadow on its own, the game would've been hailed a gorgeous tribute to Castlevania, and four years of poisonous bickering the CV community would never have happened.

i would say this is a fair assessment. witch is why los is better viewed as "castlevania: the movie"

but enuff of that. i am wonder what the future of bloodstained as a potential franchise is? is iga planning a trilogy, or will he pass it off to other developers in the longrun? how many of u are willing to stick around for 25+ years of bloodstained? ?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1284 on: May 21, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
Quote from: beingthehero
I kinda miss Blu Cheese and Redrum though, even though they'd have no fucking clue who I was.

haha i rmember them too. we r old man

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1285 on: May 21, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »
Dang!  This thread (and the KS) are going places so quickly!  School needs to hurry and let out so I have more time to...well...waste! ;-P

Another Kickstarter question...if you donate, and later come across some more spare moolah...can you add to your donation and get a higher tier?  Can you "level up" in that sense?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1286 on: May 21, 2015, 04:55:26 PM »
YOU'RE ALL FUCKING WELCOME! =D

For what?

Man, I'm just starting the realize that the scope of this game is going to be mind boggling. Not only is this potentially (I'm pretty sure it will be) the biggest castle IGA's ever designed/developed we're getting all of this awesome bonus content on top of it. 2017 can't come soon enough guys. D: Guess I'll have to dust off my old CV games to occupy the time until then.

That is nothing new, older CV also did have official wallpapers, but yes it still good.

Some people will, without a doubt, hate on Bloodstained. It's just how things work. I'm lowering my expectations, not expecting "the best IGA game ever" cause that it not realistic. I hope it's on par with the GBA/DS games, but larger. And with some catchy tunes. Anything more than that is just a nice bonus  :D

Maybe it will feature a inverted castle, a mirrored castle AND a 90º castle LOL

kinda like when they made Dracula X on the Super Nintendo rather than a more direct port of Rondo of Blood...

edit: on second thought, maybe the saturn port of symphony would be a more likely analogy.  they had to take out some stuff because of hardware limitations, but they added some stuff kinda to make up for it.

You were right before the edit, since the Saturn version wasn't bad because of hardware limitation but lazyness from the team/lack of time. Maybe they will use this extra money to do similar shaders to Unreal Engine older version?

Another sign of how things have drastically changed around here? Rugal is getting upvoted again instead of downvoted.

People downvoted before because they had been brainwashed by Dave Cox, now that we found a Holy Glasses we've saved some users here. I've never downvoted him until now since I find his posts to be fun and a straight opinion.

but enuff of that. i am wonder what the future of bloodstained as a potential franchise is? is iga planning a trilogy, or will he pass it off to other developers in the longrun? how many of u are willing to stick around for 25+ years of bloodstained? ?

IIRC he said in a interview to a website, that he wanted to do a new game where they could recycle assets in the future, so I think that he plans atleast 1 sequel.

Dang!  This thread (and the KS) are going places so quickly!  School needs to hurry and let out so I have more time to...well...waste! ;-P

Another Kickstarter question...if you donate, and later come across some more spare moolah...can you add to your donation and get a higher tier?  Can you "level up" in that sense?

Yes.

I'm really curious to know what they have in the basement. The hints that they gave us implied that the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS would be there, since they said about a Nintendo platform and a secret being hidden in the basement.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:59:02 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1287 on: May 21, 2015, 05:22:20 PM »
+1
IIRC he said in a interview to a website, that he wanted to do a new game where they could recycle assets in the future, so I think that he plans atleast 1 sequel.

No, please not more recycling...

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #1288 on: May 21, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »
Every game from long franchises reuses assets at some point.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1289 on: May 21, 2015, 06:22:37 PM »
+1
Quote from: IGA on Polygon
..."I understand people’s desire to own a company and make it their own thing," he says. "It’s very easy to understand that sort of ambition that naturally occurs. But I just want to make games. Building a company from the ground up is incredibly difficult. Management, hiring — it’s just a huge amount of work."

Instead, Igarashi says he wants to turn his Kickstarter game into a franchise that will allow him to collaborate with external developers, iterate on it, reuse art assets and make sequels.[/u] Basically, he wants to turn it into a new Castlevania.

"This sort of a game is one that, as you build out multiple iterations of it and make sequels, then it naturally gets better and better and more crafted and more polished," he says. "So from my perspective, I’d like to make future versions of it. Because with each version, it should hopefully become a better and better game."...

Source: http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/5/11/8576141/koji-igarashi-day-in-the-life

Nothing wrong with that. If you are going to use the same enemy and the art is at the same level than the rest of the game then it is totally okay to reuse it. In Castlevania they only recycled enemies and bosses and they never clashed with a background, character or enemy, so I don't understand why people criticize this detail so much.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:28:33 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything