Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania games that you disliked at first and still dislike  (Read 19473 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Just in order to follow the trend of topics and be popular  :P
Haha, no, I'm kidding!
I already know which games will appear here, Harmony of Despair on top of the list, I presume...
But anyway...
Which CV game you disliked from the first day and you can't still find some redeeming qualities?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania games that you disliked at first and still dislike
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
The Gameboy titles. I still can't bring myself to like them. I will keep trying, though, I promise.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
Lords of Shadows.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:14:47 PM »
+1
Harmony of Despair, Lament of Innocence, and Curse of Darkness.
Oh, and Final Fantasy VII (but that's not a CV).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:29:22 PM »
+1
Legends, Order of Shadows, Lords of Shadow, and Mirror of Fate.

Legends because it's way too easy. For example, being able to use invincibility during boss fights breaks the game in my opinion. Oh, and the levels are too long and boring. Adventure and Belmont's Revenge are better than Legends and I actually enjoyed both of them.

OoS because it's pretty bad, lol. But then again, what can you expect from a 6 year old cell phone game?

Lords of Shadow and Mirror of Fate for many reasons. I'm not saying the music is bad, but I just dislike style of music they chose for the LoS series, it just doesn't sound Castlevania like in my opinion. I'm also not a huge fan of the LoS/MoF story either, which makes a game hard to play if I don't like the story. The gameplay is alright in both games. I don't really have any complaints against the gameplay.

The Titan fights in LoS were also things that I disliked, but that's more of a minor gripe. Mirror of Fate was better than LoS in my opinion. I liked the gameplay better in MoF than LoS, but...with both games, it just feels like something is missing for me. MoF, while better than LoS, still wasn't a game I really cared for much. It just feels like that "Castlevania charm" is missing in both LoS and MoF. As standalone games, LoS and MoF are "okay" games, even though I'm not a fan of them. As Castlevania games, they just don't feel right to me. This is coming from someone who has played every Castlevania game except The Arcade and the Pachislot games, and have liked them all except the four games I've listed here.

On a side note, the only one I didn't hate, but didn't like either was Harmony of Despair. I was more neutral on it than anything.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 02:13:07 AM »
@Kaori: I also played all CV games except 3 Pachislots and The Arcade, and I feel the exact same way as you in regards to LoS and MoF.

Hahaha!!! LOL!  ;D
I follow you!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »
The Gameboy titles. I still can't bring myself to like them. I will keep trying, though, I promise.

The only thing I haven't emulated and most likely never will. They are the only games I will never play. The Adventure Rebirth in the other hand was amazing.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »

True this, tried so many times, still exclusively like the soundtracks

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 03:28:48 AM »
I'm not super fond of the gameboy games either, but I don't really hate them. Castlevania Adventure is pretty painful to play though. I can't be upset about it because it's so damn old, and I think it was a pretty decent entry in the series when it was new. Time has not been kind to it though, and for me it feels like work. Reeeeaaally slow work too.

Belmont's Revenge is often hailed as the highlight of the trilogy, but apart from the music (which is FANTASTIC) it's still a veeery slow game. And I am not digging the Mega Man approach to the levels either. I liked it more 15 years ago. I want a remake that fixes some of the issues.

The only game I've really disliked from the start was Mirror of Fate. It has great environments, nice graphics, but I'm just not having that much fun. I blame the combat, I think. I started playing Shinobi 3DS a while ago and DAMN! That game is fun. IMO. MoF should've been more like it.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 05:31:22 AM »
+1
Whenever I see Judgment at a distance I still shrug a bit

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 06:34:44 AM »
LoS and Castlevania Judgment.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »
+1
Lords of Shadow obviously but also Judgement. some of Judgement's designs and charaters stories make me ask serious questions about what the writers and artist was thinking *Shakes head in shame*
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
+1
In design, they were thinking about Death Note.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »

The only game I've really disliked from the start was Mirror of Fate. It has great environments, nice graphics, but I'm just not having that much fun. I blame the combat, I think. I started playing Shinobi 3DS a while ago and DAMN! That game is fun. IMO. MoF should've been more like it.

I've said this so many times before if any one has played shinobi 3ds they know which one is better. They have so many throwbacks it's just mind blowing not only that it's hard and heck you can even use the golden axe XD They even have a timeline of every single game in the series to get new fans into it this game has so much content that I say this is how MoF should of been. I remember when MoF came out I did a slight comparison to shinobi or at the very least referenced it and man MoF fails in all aspects even framerate  ;)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »
Harmony of Dissonance. I don't like the music and I hate the castle design.

I feel you there, 50 bored and frustrated hours of my life I'll never get back.

Tags:

anything