Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: 48 hours of work, and all I have to show for it is HOLY CRAP  (Read 5436 times)

Offline hungryforwoords

• INPUT YOUR NAME
  • "I hope a Magic Spirit will give us the power."
    • Awards
48 hours of work, and all I have to show for it is HOLY CRAP
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:18:47 AM »
I think I need to go to Dental School. Heck, I think they should give me an honorary freakin' degree in oral surgery. For the last two days (straight, I'm serious, I slept like two hours, but it was mostly cuz I'm trying to quit smoking and using the patch), I've been trying to get together all the crap you need to emulate Rondo of Blood on a PC. Finally, after 48 freaking hours of constantly screwing things up and waiting for things to download, I have the dang thing running like blood off Drac's chin.

It was exactly like pulling teeth. Dental school, here I come.

After I play Rondo again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:25:59 PM by hungryforwoords »
"Farewell then. We'll not meet again."

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
Re: 48 hours of work, and all I have to show for it is HOLY CRAP
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:31:10 AM »
The funny part is that you can download it bundled with an emulator on torrent sites.  That's how I went about playing it (for the second time, the first time, a long time ago, I had a friend of mine send me all the files/instructions I needed to run it with magic engine).  It's too bad you didn't know ahead of time :(

Offline hungryforwoords

• INPUT YOUR NAME
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
No, that's just the thing is that I did know that!! Gah, it burns my Belmont pants just thinkin' about it. I searched through all kinds of torrent sites and I just couldn't find a properly seeded torrent that had the .wav files, plus I'm on an internet connection that's billed for going over it's limit each month, so I guess I was kind of in a hurry. Quitting smoking isn't really conducive to calm, rational thought.

But the point is, this is a celebration, b@#hes! Dracula X rocks my socks. I eventually had to get a copy of the game with the files in .mp3 format, used Switchsound to convert them to .wav format, and ended up with Alcohol 120 being my "fake CD drive" program.

I can only imagine that this is because the emulator (Magic Engine) is only programmed to process the music files in .wav format. I really don't know the exact details of this. I haven't had my PSP for months, so it's nice to be able to smack Shaft around again.

Offline Felix

• Commander of Drac's Ghost Ship
  • Hunter in Training
  • My ship. I hope Richter isn't aboard. Oh shi-
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
For dummies (restrain from thinking I'm flaming), somewhere in the Internet I found a WIN32 version of Rondo. No emulators needed.

Offline hungryforwoords

• INPUT YOUR NAME
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »
Just so erbody knows it, I wear a ruby circlet that makes me absorb flame damage. BA-doom-boom-ching!

Does this Win32 Drac X have...gamepad support? All the music? Other special features? Input...INPUUUT!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
There was and still is a thread on this forum that is linked to a site that you can download Rondo of Blood. The game is all there and you don't need to worry about emulators, sound files, etc. I have it on my computer.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:01 PM »
Yeah, it's all packaged in an EXE file. Emulated well, all the music in good quality, options (button/key mapping, gamepad support, etc.)—it's all there. Handy thing to have. It's how I first finally got to play Rondo. Which is sad... I'd been wanting to play it for almost ten years.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »
Yes that's the magic bundle I was talking about :o  Sorry, I made it sound like it came bundled with an emulator, but while technically it IS being emulated, the file is all converted into a EXE, so you just press-and-play, no fumbling required.  Ran much better than it did when I ran it on magic engine a few years ago, too.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »
This thread reminds me of the old days with the WHERE CAN I FIND THE RONDO ISO AND EMULATOR threads. Admittedly it was a bitch to get working back then.

Offline hungryforwoords

• INPUT YOUR NAME
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
I found it, but it doesn't seem to have options for gamepad support. Kind of counter-productive if I can't use a controller. Playing a game like Castlevania with the keyboard is like fighting the Hulk without superpowers.

But, I might be stupid (law of averages; it's happened a lot before). And either way, for anyone who hasn't tried it and is curious, I will add my opinion; Yes, this is a flawless reproduction of Rondo. Pretty impressive! Somebody went to a lot of trouble to get this right...it just shows the awesomeness of this game that people are willing to go to such trouble to proliferate it.

I think that Dracula X would make a better movie than CV3, but that's another thread.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 06:53:52 PM »
it doesn't seem to have options for gamepad support.

I find this comes in handy for these instances; http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey%20English%20Version.htm

About this software
This software is a keyboard emulator for joysticks.
It converts joystick input into keyboard input (and mouse input).

Use it when you want to control an application with joysticks that doesn't support joystick input. If you wish, you can control even Word, Excel, etc. with joysticks!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 06:55:45 PM »
I was able to get it to work with a gamepad. I don't have the menu up right in front of me, but it would ask for inputs, and I'd press whatever button I wanted, and voila.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Sonic_Reaper

• The Elusive
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Dorian Tokici
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
Mine worked with gamepad as well, IIRC.  I can't stand playing emulated games with the keyboard.

Offline hungryforwoords

• INPUT YOUR NAME
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 06:08:38 AM »
But, I might be stupid (law of averages; it's happened a lot before).

Upon stumbling upon a deviously hidden secret (reading the enclosed documentation), I discovered that the gamepad configuration is activated by starting the game and pressing F1.

So, yeah...stupid. But now I can put to rest the misinformation I have proliferated. Yes, it has gamepad support.

Offline Felix

• Commander of Drac's Ghost Ship
  • Hunter in Training
  • My ship. I hope Richter isn't aboard. Oh shi-
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 09:29:03 AM »
Applauses for me for noting hungryforwoords  about the Win32 version of Rondo.

Oh, come on, just 1 freakin' applause!

Tags: