Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania 2 fan game: yet another SQ remake...  (Read 30856 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Re: Castlevania 2 fan game: yet another SQ remake...
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 12:05:56 AM »
I have played your demo. I will apologize for having made my criticism before playing the demo because I didn't even know it existed. I would have said something before also because, as you can see on the first page, I was awaiting for this game. For many reasons I couldn't follow the thread so, again, apologies for not having seen the demo links.

Now I'm ready to deliver a properly informed opinion.

First of all: Playing the game, FEELING it, softened my impression that it was too slow. However the impression still remains. As I said above, my favorite Vania is Adventure Rebirth. Your game has a lot of things in it that take me back to Rebirth (one of which being the maneuverable jump, THANK you for this), but the speed makes it feel a lot slower than it appears to have been designed to be. It's a strange feeling because I can obviously tell it was designed around Simon's capabilities, but it does still feel a bit too slow even for a classicvania, which takes me to the next point: Attacking feels unsatisfying and, risking repeating myself, too slow.

Simon takes a loooong time to whip forward after you pressed the button, and this slowly becomes a bigger issue as the game progresses, culminating on the first boss fight. At first you are OK and the enemies do not pose a challenge that Simon cannot overcome, but soon I realized that, were he to attack just some frames faster, he would not have to deal with the slog that is the first boss. I'll be honest with you: I cheesed the hell out of this boss because dodging the flies and lining them up for an attack so I could be free to attack the boss itself after was extending the fight way beyond my patience would let me take it. So I just made it so (via cheesing that I'm not sharing publicitly because I'm not sure if you intended for it) that I could hit the boss AND the flies at the same time, and that was it.

So, bottom line: This game could be just a tiny bit faster and most issues I have with it would be solved. And I say "most" because I have another issue with the gameplay that made it much harder than it should be: Simon can't crouch. I immediately understood why Simon can stomp on some enemies, but it also meant that floating enemies coming from below HAD to line up exactly in front of you so you can score a hit (which takes luring that is not possible to perform in a tricky situation), and also meant that I couldn't tell which enemies are stompable or not.

I mean, I imagine the rule of thumb is "if you can't whip it, it's stompable". But then there were these small blob monsters floating about that I could NOT stomp and could NOT hit with the whip because they came from below, and could NOT avoid because I was gonna fall into water or spikes. Well, what is one or two more hits, anyway...

Artwork: Absolutelly gorgeous, scary and surreal. I wish I could eat it because it's that good. It looks like Simon is moving inside a painting, it's so weird and interesting. My ONE nitpick is the one frame jerk that Simon does due to a single misaligned frame during the idle animation. That's literally it.

Music: I have some favorites (Save Room and Dwelling of Doom), but I couldn't deal with Silence of Daylight for long. It sounded too noisy and slightly off-key to my ears.

Overall, I think this is a beautiful effort at doing CVII any justice. And if there is any justice in this world, this game will come out and be recognized. But the gameplay, on my opinion, is suffering. It feels too slow for hands used to Rondo or Rebirth. In fact I would wear the douche hat and say that it feels (just a bit) slower than even the original Simon's Quest.

PS: Dear god man, if this is at all possible to you, please please shorten up the "What a horrible night to have a curse" transitions.
PS2: You can skip the Game Over screen. THIS I loved with disproportional passion.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:54:48 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 03:32:20 AM »
So basically... you say this and that is slow and then compare it to something like "paint dries" or "congress passing a bill". That's not how argumentation works either (even though I like the congress part :) ).

purely embellishment to keep everyone from having to read the exact same wording of "[X] is slow" multiple times

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018, 12:19:16 PM »
I'm still soldiering through the demo, but from what I've played so far here are some of my thoughts in no particular order:

*The artwork is fantastic. Though one thing I would highly encourage is to make use of parallax backgrounds. The background art looks really nice but since it all scrolls at the same speed as the player it makes the world appear flat. Adding parallax backgrounds shouldn't be too difficult and it would make a world of difference and further increase the games atmosphere.

*Please add gamepad support as well as the ability to remap keybindings. It can be a pain in the ass to implement but I feel every game needs this feature. The default keybindings are difficult for me to use (and I'm sure there are many others that would agree with me on here) so in turn it makes playing the game harder than it probably should be.

*The music is quite interesting and fits the environments well. This is a small detail but I think it could help improve the atmosphere you have further; perhaps you could add environmental sound effects to certain sections of the map? For example, if you're exploring the outside forest area you could have some wind samples playing, or dripping water samples inside the caves.

I wasn't able to get very far in terms of gameplay yet but it seemed odd that in my time playing I never ran into a single enemy in the overworld.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »
So everyone else is wrong and only you are allowed to be right and if we do not agree than the thread should be deleted and we should not play your game...
You misunderstand me. I was saying that in some cases some conversations might end up not pleasant. In these cases it doesn't matter if you are wrong or right. So... it's simply better to end these conversations, yes? I wasn't saying that everybody is wrong, but just claiming something (no matter how many times) isn't enough for other people to start doing what you want, yes? I think I'm right about it.

theplottwist, thank you for such detailed reply. I see what you mean and I will try to make the things you mention better. Excluding the "night message" :) - you'll see it only 5 times in the entire game and it's only 39 seconds. Crouching is in progress - I almost never use it myself, so I keep forgetting to implement it. Silence of Daylight might be too loud - I have another version of it, so I may change it.

About the speed of the whip... Well, my initial idea was to make each next whip both stronger and faster. Making a fire whip super fast and super strong. Bad side to this is the first whip - you don't notice how weak it is because the enemies are weak too, but I see you notice the low speed and you don't like it to say the least. So... I still like my idea of having various speeds for all weapons, but clearly you do not. I don't want to change it at this early stage. The second whip will be about 50% faster. If I'll make the first whip too fast I'll have to abandon this idea entirely and I don't know if I should at this point. Got to test all whips first. 

About the speed of walking. The version you have played had only one boss fight, yes? Indeed it was too slow. Walking in the latest version is 25% faster already. I'm not sure it is necessary to make it even faster. I need to make 2 more mansions to make that decision.

(By the way, if anyone is still interested you can download the second demo here:
https://arkhousetelegraph.blogspot.lt/2018/05/ctsotc-wip-episodes-1-2.html

I'll be honest with you: I cheesed the hell out of this boss...
I'll be honest too - I have NO IDEA what you are saying here. English is not my first language, so... "cheese" is a kind of food, no? "Hell" is a place where the sinners suffer. So... can you use some other words, please? No matter how hard I try I can't connect "hell" and "cheese" into anything that makes sense to me. Sorry for that.

*The artwork is fantastic. Though one thing I would highly encourage is to make use of parallax backgrounds. The background art looks really nice but since it all scrolls at the same speed as the player it makes the world appear flat. Adding parallax backgrounds shouldn't be too difficult and it would make a world of difference and further increase the games atmosphere.
I agree with you, but unfortunately I believe it's (almost) impossible at this point. Or rather it would require too much time to make it. I've started working on this game about 7 years ago - back then I had zero experience and most of the backgrounds were made at that time. I was saving them as big jpegs, deleting all separate pngs and the psd work files because my hard drive was too small to keep all the files :(. Separating these backgrounds now would be very time-consuming - I don't have that time unfortunately. Only several areas will have parallax scrolling.

*Please add gamepad support as well as the ability to remap keybindings. ...
I'm working on it. It won't be fast or easy, but I'll try.

This is a small detail but I think it could help improve the atmosphere you have further; perhaps you could add environmental sound effects to certain sections of the map? For example, if you're exploring the outside forest area you could have some wind samples playing, or dripping water samples inside the caves.
Yes, I'm planning to add small details like that - both sounds and animations. But of course, it's in the end of my "to do list" at this point.

I wasn't able to get very far in terms of gameplay yet but it seemed odd that in my time playing I never ran into a single enemy in the overworld.
Yes, and I'm going to keep it this way. As I have written before this is not a remake of SQ. It's a sequel to SQ. So... the monsters in this world are dead. You need to get to the world of the night to fight some new monsters. To do that you must look for the Gates (as Simon is saying in the very beginning of the game).

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »
About the speed of walking. The version you have played had only one boss fight, yes? Indeed it was too slow. Walking in the latest version is 25% faster already. I'm not sure it is necessary to make it even faster. I need to make 2 more mansions to make that decision.

Ah ok ok, I'll take a look at your latest demo!

I'll be honest too - I have NO IDEA what you are saying here. English is not my first language, so... "cheese" is a kind of food, no? "Hell" is a place where the sinners suffer. So... can you use some other words, please? No matter how hard I try I can't connect "hell" and "cheese" into anything that makes sense to me. Sorry for that.

By "cheesing the hell out of this boss" I mean that I cheated. I kept looking for a way to make sure that I would kill the boss on the easiest way possible, and "cheesing" means that I found one that was probably not intended by you.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2018, 10:51:04 PM »
Just gave your game a shot earlier today and it is very unique to say the least. I did like what I saw. The art for the game itself, the environments, the characters, the enemies, it all had that painting-esque look to it. The overworld felt like the curse had ended with CVII but that doesn't mean the player can't run into some hostile wildlife such as the occasional wolf, or spider. I also liked how you crossed over into the other world which was a dark, cursed reflection of the overworld. It did kind of have that 'Portrait of ruin' element to it. It also seems to incorporate that small but noticeable touch of 'Silent Hill' as well. Not bad in my book. I felt all these elements properly reflected what your game's story was about. Unfortunately however, the slowdown of Simon's movements and the attack is a bit of an issue for me still. Trying to attack while jumping is almost impossible because of the amount of lag in input-to-command. Trust me, the whip's attack speed doesn't need to be slow as molasses in order for it to be weak. There are other methods that can help you achieve your aims. Having Simon move and attack faster won't hurt your project. If anything it'll help to balance it out somewhat.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »
I enjoy the Second demo a lot, Yeah I still have the same problems with the dark world its hard to see in some parts but I think thats my fault :v

I didnt feel anoying by the slow walk (not sure if sayit annoying or lets just say something like that XD) when I was walking I enjoy the view and It gorgeous! but thats the opinion of every one, I can see more of the people wants a faster character, I think you make the character like that because thats what you where aiming, you wants to make a game based of what you want (I think) im ok with that but not sure if its gona work since well you see that a lot didnt like it (or lets just say they want that but dosnt kill the game)

Anyway if someone is interested I make a video for the 2nd demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7tH4SwY6zA

Hope to see more of this game!!!  :3

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2018, 09:24:23 PM »
Grinding in CV2 was tedious because it was slow and unfun. Grinding in the later metroidvania games can still be fun because it has fast paced-intuitive combat. The game should be balanced around the slow gameplay in a fun way or sped up and balanced for that.

I'm not trying to say I don't like your project, but your art direction is by far the best and most polished part of the experience (and damn fine as well)

Nobody here criticizing the game harshly means ill-will.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 07:11:46 PM »
By "cheesing the hell out of this boss" I mean that I cheated. I kept looking for a way to make sure that I would kill the boss on the easiest way possible, and "cheesing" means that I found one that was probably not intended by you.
I doubt it. I test my games well, so usually I'm aware of all "alternative ways" you may try. You probably mean getting behind the boss - yes, that's an easy way to kill him.

X, thanks for the good feedback. But...

Having Simon move and attack faster won't hurt your project. If anything it'll help to balance it out somewhat.
In my opinion it's balanced as it is now. The weapons are different in speed, so the first weapons you get are very slow and the weapons you'll find later are faster. The speed of walking will stay as it is now in demo 2 (the demo with 2 castles).

Character is moving relatively slow because he's walking. He's not running. He's not jogging. He's walking. That isn't a bug. That isn't a flaw. That is the style of this particular game. I am sorry to say but if you like running fast in your games this particular game is not for you. Skip it. There are plenty of others on the internet.

I enjoy the Second demo a lot, Yeah I still have the same problems with the dark world its hard to see in some parts but I think thats my fault :v
I have made the dark parts about 50% less dark in demo 2, so... it's probably your monitor's contrast settings. Thank you for your feedback. I'll watch the video. :)

Grinding in CV2 was tedious because it was slow and unfun.
There is no grinding at all in this game.

I'm not trying to say I don't like your project, but your art direction is by far the best and most polished part of the experience (and damn fine as well)
Frankly speaking... that's the most important part of it for me as well. I'm not a programmer who can draw. I'm an artist who can code a little. I'm making a bunch of interconnected pictures that move. "Fun gameplay" is never my priority. Even though this particular game is a LOT of fun for me. I enjoy testing it.

Short update: working on the third castle. Second whip is much faster. New enemy types are faster as well. I have made yet another sub-form of Death (out of 3). Here's the first 2 - you fight them at the same time:
(click to show/hide)

You'll fight Medusa too:

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2018, 08:03:44 PM »
Character is moving relatively slow because he's walking. He's not running. He's not jogging. He's walking. That isn't a bug. That isn't a flaw. That is the style of this particular game. I am sorry to say but if you like running fast in your games this particular game is not for you. Skip it. There are plenty of others on the internet.

You drew the wrong conclusion dude. Simon doesn't need to run. He never did in any of his games I've ever played. And personally I think you're going a bit overboard with your objections. Being passionate about your project is fine, but try and be professional about it. We're not here to hurt one-another. We're here because we all have a love of Castlevania.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
I have made the dark parts about 50% less dark in demo 2, so... it's probably your monitor's contrast settings. Thank you for your feedback. I'll watch the video. :)

Then for the next time I need to fix that XD

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 03:22:23 AM »
Literally the most interesting SQ remake I've seen, and the creepiest and most polished by far in terms of visual style.

Loves it!! ;D
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2018, 01:08:51 PM »
+2
You drew the wrong conclusion dude.
Because you have said so? It is merely an opinion and I shouldn't change my own because you have a different opinion that I don't even like. Neither should you. But, please, allow me to stop this pointless dialogue.

And personally I think you're going a bit overboard with your objections. Being passionate about your project is fine, but try and be professional about it.
I remind you: we are discussing a fan-made game in progress here. "Professionalism" in a fan-made game? I'm making it exactly because I don't want to be professional. Nobody's paying me for this. And it's not finished yet. We are literally talking about changing 2 or 3 variables here. I can make that change anytime I want! I can even make a "special version" just for you and that would take several seconds of my life. But now I'm making my own game for myself. First of all I must like it or else it will never be complete. Let's stop here, please.

Literally the most interesting SQ remake I've seen, and the creepiest and most polished by far in terms of visual style. 
Thanks! It will get even creepier later on.  :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
I wasn't talking about finances in terms of professional as it has multiple uses. I was talking about attitude towards others who don't see things as you do. Best to take a step back and examine the posts (without the anger involved) and interpret what I actually meant rather then what you think I meant. I know it's difficult because we aren't speaking face to face. Net chats are a big problem for misunderstandings like this and most would rather use the sword (hostility) then the pen (understanding) to solve their problems.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:13:22 AM by X »

Offline mgfcortez

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2018, 12:31:32 AM »
this is so beautiful can't wait to play this :) and thank you so much for making a game and sharing this. I would love to see you make sprites of sotn Alucard or castlevania 3 Alucard and Trevor. I just love the real look of your work I haven't seen work this good scents I seen Thaddeus mind blowing sprites and background (wish he was still around :( but he disappeared. anybody see him any where online?) the only thing I would change is the walk it looks a little weird but a lot better than anything I could make lol great job man

Tags: