Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Interesting Castlevania "Reboot" idea I have....  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Interesting Castlevania "Reboot" idea I have....
« on: March 01, 2021, 01:29:09 AM »
I've been thinking of a really interesting idea Castlevania reboot where the series would be a 'anthology' of some sorts based on 19th century gothic (mostly vampire) literature where it would be similar premise of the Lecarde Chronicles where each game has it's own aristocratic antagonist other than Dracula who would be based on the original novel incarnation mixed with Castlevania elements like mostly his powers that is.

Basically for example the first game in the series would be about Dracula of course which would be like a traditional Castlevania game with Dracula's design closely resembles the original novel than the Hamilton Deane/Bela Lugosi appearance that's commonly associated with like in the original Castlevania games.

Then the second game in the series would be about Frankenstein where we fight the Mad Dockor and his creations.

The Third game in the series would be based on Carmilla where the Karnsteins are the antagonists like Count Karnstein (based on the "Karnstein Trilogy" of the Hammer films) would be the actual the "Final boss" in the game which would act as a prequel to the original book where Carmilla, Matksa, Carmilla's brother, and her Mother are the only survivors of the protagonists scouring through the castle who might be a Vordenberg.

The Fourth game would be about Lord Ruthven and it's prequel to "John Polidori's "The Vampyre" set in the late 18th century where Ruthven used to live in a castle in Scotland where the protagonist could be someone who was once a friend who swore a oath to him to never reveal his true nature as a vampire and then he's engaged with his sister knowing that he cannot break the oath, the protagonist then sets out to save his sister and prevent the wedding from happening after doing some diggging on Ruthven's history and turns out he's a bluebeard type of figure. I guess at the end of the game, the protagonist kills Ruthven and buries him in a coffin where the full moon won't reach him and then destroys the castle to erase that taint but however though there was one error or someone digs up Ruthven which is how Ruthven became a wondering drifter we see in the original story moving on to girl to girl continuing on his MO.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:34:22 AM by Zydalc »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Interesting Castlevania "Reboot" idea I have....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:11:11 AM »
Sounds interesting.  :)

I would, however, switch the second and third games around as Frankenstein was of the 18th century and Carmilla was of the 17th century. Just for chronological reasons of course.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »
Sounds interesting.  :)

I would, however, switch the second and third games around as Frankenstein was of the 18th century and Carmilla was of the 17th century. Just for chronological reasons of course.

I think the events of Carmilla happened during the 19th century (like maybe during the 1860s) since it doesn't exactly specify which year other than Laura was interviewed by a occult detective Dr. Hesselius and her story was in his casebook and it was during the late 17th century where Carmilla actually died and became a Vampire in 1698.

Of course I think it's also mentioned in the novel that the Karnsteins were torn by a 'civil war' so maybe the game could instead explore that which maybe we could play as Carmilla instead which she took part of it and we can see what happened to the Karnsteins.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:03:39 AM by Zydalc »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 09:30:23 PM »
I was more 'n less thinking about when Carmilla came to be a vampire. I knew it wasn't in the 18th century, but it seems to be close enough. Interestingly tid-bit though, when we first see Carmilla in the CV series it is only a few years after she became a vampire that Simon encountered/killed her in Simon's Quest. Talk about unintentional accuracy  :o
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Online VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 05:42:20 AM »
I like the idea of Dr. Frankenstein being the primary villain in a Vania style game, especially if you get to fight several different kinds of Frankenstein monsters with varying abilities, as opposed to just fighting the lone iconic monster from the novel at the end. You would also get a change of scenery, with the game taking place in a big laboratory instead of Drac’s castle.

I remember seeing an NES Frankenstein game that roughly tries to implement this idea, but I never tried it myself because of negative word of mouth.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 07:15:21 PM »
I like the idea of Dr. Frankenstein being the primary villain in a Vania style game, especially if you get to fight several different kinds of Frankenstein monsters with varying abilities, as opposed to just fighting the lone iconic monster from the novel at the end. You would also get a change of scenery, with the game taking place in a big laboratory instead of Drac’s castle.

I remember seeing an NES Frankenstein game that roughly tries to implement this idea, but I never tried it myself because of negative word of mouth.

Not to mention the actual Castle Frankenstein has a very fascinating history behind if you can read the Myths and Legends section here

Of course as for the Lord Ruthven game, Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi has a similar premise I was thinking of where you simply swapped the settings being from Romania to Scotland (where Ruthven is from) and the unnamed Romanian "Looks like Orlok" Count to Lord Ruthven, it's pretty much this game.

Speaking of Nosferatu, I was thinking of another game involving the actual Count Orlok which you fight through plague ridden ghouls/zombies and other plague related horrors.

I also thinking of another game involving M.R. James Count Magnus as well.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:39:16 PM by Zydalc »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »
This Count Magnus could certainly use a visitation from a Belmont.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 01:43:24 PM »
Of course I would also like to do games based on Paul Feval's "Vampire City", "Vampire Countess" and "Knightshade" and of course fitting all of those together somehow.

And of course Marie Nizet's "Captain Vampire" could also work as well....

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »
The Third game in the series would be based on Carmilla where the Karnsteins are the antagonists like Count Karnstein (based on the "Karnstein Trilogy" of the Hammer films) would be the actual the "Final boss" in the game which would act as a prequel to the original book where Carmilla, Matksa, Carmilla's brother, and her Mother are the only survivors of the protagonists scouring through the castle who might be a Vordenberg.

I loathe the idea of a male vampire hijacking Carmilla's role. Besides, the implication in the novel was that the vampire that turned Carmilla was female

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 02:59:11 PM »
I loathe the idea of a male vampire hijacking Carmilla's role. Besides, the implication in the novel was that the vampire that turned Carmilla was female

That's because I feel villanizing Carmilla as the main antagonist gets into extremely problematic territory due to misogynistic and homophobic under/overtones surrounding it and what she was originally written to be a polemic against lesbian/bi women due to the knee jerk conservatism of the Victorian era. There's already depictions of her as a villain even if they're far from accurate to the book though but in name only.

Well that's why in the Web Series for example they made Carmilla's mother to be the antagonist but I'm thinking about reintroducing Count Karnstein from the Hammer films instead though.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:21:57 PM by Zydalc »

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »
The issue isn't having women/lgbtq+ villains, it's the lack of representation outside weird-coded villain/stereotypes used for jokes (which luckily is slowly changing)

Carmilla is indeed an homophobic text, albeit one reclaimed and relatively embraced by the community. That being said, i have no clue how is making Carmilla second fiddle to another guy helping to make it any less misogynistic and homophobic. The way i see it, you're just adding another layer of bad
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:04:15 AM by SecretWeapon »

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 12:33:26 PM »
The issue isn't having women/lgbtq+ villains, it's the lack of representation outside weird-coded villain/stereotypes used for jokes (which luckily is slowly changing)

Carmilla is indeed an homophobic text, albeit one reclaimed and relatively embraced by the community. That being said, i have no clue how is making Carmilla second fiddle to another guy helping to make it any less misogynistic and homophobic. The way i see it, you're just adding another layer of bad

Well first of all I never really said or even implied that Carmilla would take a second fiddle to another guy which matter of fact the original text even mentions that the Karnsteins were torn by civil war that "Destroyed the family" which maybe Carmilla and Count Karnstein could be those opposition. Besides the game idea I have takes place before the original novel like during the 18th century so Count Karnstein and his cohoots would be long dead by the time of original novel where Carmilla, Carmilla's mother, Matska and Carm's brother or uncle (the tall pale man described in the ballroom flashback scene) might be the only Karnsteins remaning taking their place at this point.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:47:27 PM by Zydalc »

Tags:

anything